It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Florida Marlins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I just saw on Sportscenter that the Marlins fired their manager Jeff Torborg. I didnt think they were stinkin' it up that bad, their best pitcher just went down with Tommy John surgery. They didnt mention who would replace Torborg in the dugout.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Marlins manager Jeff Torborg has been fired and replaced by Jack McKeon, The Miami Herald reported in its Sunday editions.

Torborg became the first manager fired this season following a 5-4 loss to Colorado on Saturday night, the Herald reported, citing an unidentified high-ranking major league source.

The Marlins (16-22) are off to a poor start this season with their pitching staff decimated by injuries.

Florida has lost seven of its last eight to drop nine games behind Atlanta in the NL East.

Florida has three pitchers on the disabled list. A.J. Burnett recently had Tommy John surgery and is expected to be out 12-to-18 months. Mark Redman is out with a broken left thumb, and Josh Beckett sprained his right elbow Wednesday.

espn.go.com...

They're doing worse than I thought!

TRD

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Yes i have been looking at them lately they have a few injury's.. I wasn't surprised he got sacked what with the bad run they are having..
How have they done in the past few seasons or are they like it all the time?

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Baseball commissioner Bud Selig told his staff to investigate whether the Florida Marlins followed minority-hiring guidelines when they replaced manager Jeff Torborg with Jack McKeon last weekend.

In April 1999, Selig sent a letter to all big league clubs requiring them to notify him about certain job vacancies, including manager. Teams are to provide Selig with a list of minority candidates, and the commissioner's office reviews the names before anyone is hired.

espn.go.com...

I have opinions on this, but this isn't the place to discuss them.

TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
When Mike Lowell belted a two-run homer off Steve Trachsel in the first inning Wednesday night, it was the Marlins third baseman's 24th of the season and 100th of his career.
It also was his 32nd home run in his last 93 games, dating back to last September.

Lowell finished 2002 with eight home runs and 21 RBIs in September. His increased power numbers have continued, where suddenly he finds himself ranked among the Major League leaders in homers.

Why the sudden surge?

Lowell doesn't know and he really doesn't care.

He says as much, because he doesn't want to over-analyze his success.

Marlins hitting coach Bill Robinson simply notes, "He's not missing his pitch."

"Mike is getting his pitches airborne, and he is making a good pass at the ball," the hitting coach said. "He's got a little upper cut in his swing."

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Many teams are interested in acquiring Mike Lowell before the trade deadline but the Marlins said today that he is officially off the market. Lowell is having a heck of a year.

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well i am not surprised PA, Lowell is batting real well and i would have thought their would be lots of teams interested in him.

Well lets hope he continues his good run..

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Better watch out, PA.

Marlins win today over the Giants puts Florida 1/2 game back of the Phillies in the National League Wild Card race.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder
Better watch out, PA.

Marlins win today over the Giants puts Florida 1/2 game back of the Phillies in the National League Wild Card race.

Oh I know, the Phillies are lucky the Marlins have been losing quite a bit too.

The Phils are in Montreal tomorrow and the Marlins are off, so that will take care of that 1/2 game, either they'll be up a game or tied entering Tuesday. The Marlins go to Pittsburgh for a series with the Bucs on Tuesday.

The Phils and the Fish still play each other 6 times so those games will be a big factor in who gets the edge. Cant forget about Arizona, LA, and whoever doesnt win the NL Central out of St.Loius, Houston, and the Cubbies.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

LA,

Well I'm a Dodgers' fan and you can forget about us.

Everytime I think about our offense I just want to:

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I wouldn't count the Dodgers out just yet, but their offense is still MIA. I saw they wasted a good outing by Kevin Brown tonight only scoring one run for him, against the Mets. On the bright side, Beltre is the RBI leader in August so far. I thought the offense was going to pick up when they acquired Rickey Henderson and Jeremy Burnitz.

Are we still in the Marlins thread?
We're going to have to start a MLB playoff thread come September.

Funny pic btw Mulder!

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

Funny pic btw Mulder!

Heh, thanks, P.A.

Anyways how about the Marlins trading for Jeff Conine? They got him for for pitchers Denny Bautista and Donald Levinski.

It's kind of big because they did it before midnight Sunday which means Conine can play in the postseason.

TRD

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Back to the marlins they lost Mike Lowell for a while with a busted wrist,info thanks to PA...

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yeah that's why they traded for Conine because of Lowell's injury.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Congratulations to the Marlins for clinching the National League Wild Card spot tonight with their win over the New York Mets.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Wow! You guys see the Marlins-Giants' game today? What a classic!

Giants up 3 to 2 going to the Bottom of the 11th Inning and "Pudge" Rodriguez hits a game-winning 2 run bases loaded single to win it!

And Jeff Conine also made a great homer robbing catch of Rich Aurilia earlier in the game.

I heard Jerome Williams is starting tomorrow for the Giants meaning that I think if the Marlins want to win this series, they have to win tomorrow because there's no way they win Game 5 at Pac Bell Park on Sunday with Jason Schmidt pitching.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Marlins beat the Giants in game 4!!

What a GAME to end a series, the final play just summarized the entire series: the Giants were just frustrated offensively the entire time.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
My giants fell...
A whole year I'll have to wait for our next chance. i highly respect the Marlins right now and think they'll go all the way. Right now the only team I have left is the Braves...

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Is Ivan Rodriguez the "New Mr. October" or what?

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Carl Pavano rocked tonight!

Unfortunately the bullpen gave it up again in the 9th like Anna Nicole Smith in an AARP convention.

Luckily Alex Gonzalez saved them in the 12th Inning.

I think tomorrow's a must-win for Florida to have any chance to win this series because I just don't see the Marlins going into Yankee Stadium and winning 2 straight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join