It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: the designated hitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   
what do you think of the DH? i personally think it sucks. it takes away from the purity of the game. to me, in order to find out who has the best team the pitchers need to hit also. what are your thoughts?

Ben

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The DH is a very weird postion. Sometimes it has good players hitting in that postion and other times it just plan old sucks. I personally think that the pitchers should bat. But when a pitcher bats they are at a risk of getting injury, or the other pitcher puposely trying to hit the pitcher.
Take the Yankees for example. Jason Giambi takes the DH alot of the times because they have two solid 1st baseman. When a team has a couple of solid players in the same position the DH can be great. But for other teams the DH sucks.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I dont mind the DH that much, but I definitely think they should have it in both leagues or not at all, instead of leagues being different. It comes into strategy alot in the NL like walking the eighth batter to get to the pitcher or if the pitcher is up with someone on base, he usually bunts. I would like to see it in both leagues just for the offense reasons, the AL seem to score more runs than the NL. It's funny in the World Series or during interleague play when an AL pitcher is up since he doesn't bat all season. There are a few good hitting pitchers in the league though. I remember watching a game last season where Phillies pitcher Robert Person hit two homers in a game, one being a grand slam.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I find it compelling that this is the only position in sports that isn't used by the entire professional sport. What exactly is the history behind the position?

new topics

top topics

join