It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

kaoszero ranting again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Ok, I'm allowed to rant about people in my personal life who aren't members of this board, right? Even if I can't, I'm going to because it will probably shed a little light on my attitude toward a few things. BTW, this is slightly inclined toward the holiday season that officially starts on Friday.

My girlfriend--I love her to death, and respect her beliefs, I don't rag on her for being a Christian or a Republican either one. However, she feels that I probably need to celebrate Christmas, although I am not a Christian, and that I probably need to start out with the lesser of two evils school of thought and align myself with a political party Long before I started dating her, I made sure that she was comfortable with my views on religion and politics both, and that she would at least respect them. However, at the moment, the most respect I'm getting is that my belief structure is wrong, and she'll usually stop ragging after that. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I just went back to being alone. Eventually, at some point, she's gonna get all pissed off when I refuse to propose and get married in a church in Christian manner. Marriage is against my beliefs, and she doesn't seem to understand that anymore either. Probably the wrong girl for me.

Mum and Dad--Mum and Dad are Methodists. When I was a child, they had me baptised as a Methodist. When I was 7 years old, I knew that Christianity was not for me, and as such refused to attend church and have been actively seeking ways to get un-baptized. They still are under the assumption that I should celebrate Christmas, they also do not respect my beliefs.

Christmas Trees--The trees that you will find decorated in about every American Christians home to celebrate Christmas with piss me clear the hell off. I don't think that they're even indigenous to the area that Christ was allegedly born. Also, entirely too much time goes into making the tree look like all fancied up and having massive illuminated Santas and reindeer and snowmen in the yard, kind of like when a guy uses a Corvette or Porsche as a penis extension. Nature is more than beautiful enough for me, if I want to see a beautiful tree, I'll go look at a Blue Spruce or Fir in it's natural environment, or have one transplanted into my yard, I don't need to see the damn tree looking like a hooker.

I won't say that I entirely un-enjoy this time of year. The Christmas commercial for Fruity Pebbles cereal is rather cute, I remember seeing the same commercial 15 years ago when I still gave a # about Christmas.

This whole season does piss me off though, from the middle of October, when people start putting up their Christmas lights all the way until the next July when they finally take them down. I also see Santa Claus as a false idol in a way, teaching your children about a man who brings presents does seem to take away from the actual meaning of the holiday, but as long as you say you're a christian and put a star or angel on top of your tree, it's all good or some stupid # like that. I want to smack my family members for making me be a part of this crap. The past two years I've managed to get out of most of it on account of being at work, but this year I won't be that fortunate. Is there any way to get someone to actually RESPECT ANOTHER'S BELIEFS, or will they always just say that they are doing so?

I realize that no one can actually make me celebrate a holiday, or look at a tree, or a giant plastic Santa with a lightbulb shoved up his ass, but it's damn tricky with all the propaganda out there, plus still living under mom and dad's roof while I'm trying to get through college. Every year I get told "you're celebrating christmas whether you like it or not", and every year I do it so I don't get thrown out on my ass.

It's strange that a lot of my friends and peers are going through the same thing, they've come to question the church and the bible's teachings *I live in predominately christian area", and none of them can offer any real advice other than "I'm stuck doing it too".

Now I need to scream
:bnghd: !!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Holds up rant scorecard:

8.5 !!!

Oh, and Happy Christmas...

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
here you go. christmas isnt even about god anymore its about getting presents! why dont you just pretend to have an epilectic fit on the floor? that should scare teh # out of em and their christmas spirit too.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
IMO -

If you really love her, just go along with it. I mean it's only a day out of the year.

You don't have to believe the meaning of Christmas to celebrate it.

Do you object of giving gifts as well ?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 04:34 PM
link   
LoL! Yes, not to sound shallow, but Christmas means free food, gifts, all kinds of cool stuff lol. If you can BARE it, just celebrate it. Christmas doesn't surround around God anymore (
) But, I see where your coming from with them not respecting your beliefs. I definately sympathize for you. Good luck man.

Oh, and I think this deserves a 9.0

-wD

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well one trick, hehe, is to demand that you celebrate Kwanaza too. Nothing against Kwanaza (I used to celebrate too) but making your family go through the celebrating of a different holiday might bring their sympathies more in line with yours. Do you know the twelve days of kwanaza?

BTW when I have kids, I'm going to make them WORK for their presents. Like cut down a forest or something. Only then will Santa bother to come to town...

top topics

join