It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City council requires residents to own guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Tiny town passes ordinance requiring nearly all homes to have guns.

Noncomplying residents would be fined $10 under the ordinance, passed 3-2 earlier this month by City Council members who thought it would help protect the town of 210 people. Those who suffer from physical or mental disabilities, paupers and people who conscientiously oppose firearms would be exempt.

This ordinance fulfills the duty to protect by allowing each individual householder to provide for his or her protection," said Councilman John Brewer.

"This is simply using the U.S. Constitution _ Second Amendment in particular _ to the city of Geuda Springs' advantage."

Whitney Watson, a spokesman for Attorney General Phill Kline, declined to comment on the legality of such an ordinance, which is similar to one passed in Kennesaw, Ga., 21 years ago that is still in effect.

abclocal.go.com...

Wahooo..people that make sense!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This ordinance fulfills the duty to protect by allowing each individual householder to provide for his or her protection," said Councilman John Brewer.

thats the part that rings true with me...providing your own protection...i want to move to that town...it will probably be the safest little town in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard about this yesterday too...I was going to mention the one in GA, but I see you beat me to it, hehe...

Would be interesting to see the crime statistics there... I think this would work well for a small town, but not for larger cities....then again...who knows?

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirCyco

Those who suffer from physical or mental disabilities, paupers and people who conscientiously oppose firearms would be exempt.

So basicaly you have to unless you don't want to? Wow, there is enforeable legislation for ya

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
and people who conscientiously oppose firearms would be exempt.

if you read it you can see that they left loop holes for citizens that did not agree with them....

[Edited on 11-25-2003 by sirCyco]

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Yeah, I heard about this yesterday too...I was going to mention the one in GA, but I see you beat me to it, hehe...

Would be interesting to see the crime statistics there... I think this would work well for a small town, but not for larger cities....then again...who knows?

they should do an expirement and try this out in a big city with high crime and see what happens....honestly..i feel that if people are breaking into houses and stealing cars ect. the might think twice if they KNOW that the owner will be armed and ready to fire...criminals are usually looking for a quick buck not a shootout....that will not only risk his life but will definitely gets the cops there in a hurry....it might work but who knows...

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   

you cant read very good can you??

How easy would it be for someone to say the conscientiously opposed? Very. Would th epolice be able to tell if they were lying? No. Get it?

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pherophile

you cant read very good can you??

How easy would it be for someone to say the conscientiously opposed? Very. Would th epolice be able to tell if they were lying? No. Get it?

I understand what your saying ...but i think its obvious by the loop holes that they provided that its realy only encouraging citizens to protect themselves becauses police are unable too...

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Cool now we just need a local charity to give guns to those people who can't afford to buy one

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Aw, they make some pretty cheap ones nowadays. Anyone can afford a weapon.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I used to live in Kennesaw, Georgia. I now live a few minutes away in Roswell, Georgia. Kennesaw does in deed have a relatively low incident crime rate (around four times less than the national average), and is most certainly lower than the city of Atlanta. Overall Atlanta has a pretty bad crime rate. Atlanta?s high crime rate is most likely a combination of: local government mismanagement, socio-economic factors (race and median household income), and educational levels.

Kennesaw: kennesaw.areaconnect.com...
Roswell: roswellga.areaconnect.com...
Atlanta: atlanta.areaconnect.com...

This fact is even greater, when view in light of the major highway that runs through the town (I-75). If you travel from the mid-west to Florida, you will most likely arrive into Atlanta through this route. It is a very heavily traveled national thoroughfare.

Most of the northern suburbs of Atlanta have crime rates below the national average. This is probably more due to the State of Georgia's lax gun-control laws than just one city councils resolution. Georgia is a "right to" conceal carry state. That law most likely is the number one gun "freedom" that will effect a city/state's crime numbers. I do know a few people that live in Kennesaw, and do not own a fire arm. Most of the people I know, in Kennesaw, own firearms.

For comparison here are come cities in the South-Eastern United States:

Birmingham Alabama: birminghamal.areaconnect.com...
Charleston, South Carolina: charlestonsc.areaconnect.com...
Nashville, Tennessee: nashville.areaconnect.com...
Charlotte, North Carolina: charlotte.areaconnect.com...
Tampa, Florida: tampa.areaconnect.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I lived in Kenessaw as well right in the shadow of the Mt. I live in Centerville now on the otherside of Atlanta! For the record Kennesaw has had only one murder since the law was passed and that murder was commited by a man passing thru on the way to Florida. He shot his traveling companion in a motel!

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
These people are sensible.

I hope that a lot of others notice this and adopt these measures.

If enough communities in the US do this then the globalists will have one hell of a time taking over the US.

new topics

top topics

join