It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man survives decades without food or water!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Doctors and experts are baffled by an Indian hermit who claims not to have eaten or drunk anything for several decades - but is still in perfect health.

Prahlad Jani, a holy man, or fakir, who is over 70 years old, has just spent 10 days under constant observation in Sterling Hospital, in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad.

During that time, he did not consume anything and "neither did he pass urine or stool", according to the hospital's deputy superintendent, Dr Dinesh Desai.

Yet he is in fine mental and physical fettle, say doctors.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This is pretty amazing. The fakir who usually lives in a cave claims he was blessed by a goddess at the age of eight, and is sustained by drops of water filtering through a hole in his palate. He says he �feel[s] no need for food and water". Even though he drank no water in the ten days the doctors said that urine formed in his bladder only to be reabsorbed by the bladder walls. It looks like he is prepared to undergo more tests.

Is this a medical thing or something more?

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if he did eat...

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Good question. It might kill him. I know when someone who's been starving to death is fed you have to feed them in really small amounts or they'll die, the same goes with water.
He's not starving though, so who knows?

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
wow not needing to eat or drink

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Good question. It might kill him. I know when someone who's been starving to death is fed you have to feed them in really small amounts or they'll die, the same goes with water.
He's not starving though, so who knows?

Yeah, I heard about that. People in concentration camps during WW2 ate like a big steak when they got out and died from it

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Man, no food or drink, that guys life sucks.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's almost like he denied the reality of needing to eat. I heard about a Hindu man last year that claimed to survive only on sunshine and air. It was later proven to be a hoax.

I found the story in an archive. The original has been deleted.

An Indian man, who claims to have survived only on liquids and sunlight for
eight years, has been invited by NASA to show them how he does it.

Hira Ratan Manek -- also known as Hirachand -- a 64-year-old mechanical
engineer who lives in the southern state of Kerala, apparently started
disliking food in 1992, the Hindustan Times newspaper reported.

In 1995, he went on a pilgrimage to the Himalayas and stopped eating
completely on his return.

His wife, Vimla, said: "Every evening he looks at the sun for one hour
without batting an eyelid. It is his main food. Occasionally he takes
coffee, tea or some other liquid."

Last June, scientists from the US space agency verified that Manek spent 130
days surviving only on water, the report said.

They even named this subsistence on water and solar energy after him: The
HRM (Hira Ratan Manek) Phenomenon.

Mr Manek is now in the US to show NASA's scientists how he survives without
food.

The US space agency hopes to use the technique to solve food storage and
preservation problems on its expeditions, the report said.

Mr Manek said he "eats through his eyes" in the evening, when the sun's
ultraviolet rays are least harmful. He and his wife claim the technique is
totally scientific. However, doctors warn that staring at the sun can make
you blind.

His wife said: "He has a special taste for sun energy. He believes only 5
per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent
can be activated through solar energy."

NASA said they never heard of this person and did not plan to study this phenomenon.

Ok, found more links about the sunlight dude...
prana.justclick.net...

The guy that's mentioned in this thread lives in the same state (Gujarat) in India as the guy I am posting about. Out of the 28 states and 7 union territories what are the odds? Maybe the people in Gujarat are genetically different.

[Edited on 11-25-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Kegs, there is already a thread on this.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Doctors and experts are baffled by an Indian hermit who claims not to have eaten or drunk anything for several decades - but is still in perfect health.

Prahlad Jani, a holy man, or fakir, who is over 70 years old, has just spent 10 days under constant observation in Sterling Hospital, in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad.

During that time, he did not consume anything and "neither did he pass urine or stool", according to the hospital's deputy superintendent, Dr Dinesh Desai.

Yet he is in fine mental and physical fettle, say doctors.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This is pretty amazing. The fakir who usually lives in a cave claims he was blessed by a goddess at the age of eight, and is sustained by drops of water filtering through a hole in his palate. He says he �feel[s] no need for food and water". Even though he drank no water in the ten days the doctors said that urine formed in his bladder only to be reabsorbed by the bladder walls. It looks like he is prepared to undergo more tests.

BS
will also be proved a hoax...
if what he claims to have done is true, then it would have been discovered and put into action for astronauts 2 decades ago.
crap, more crap, crappity crapped

i'll gladly accept proof

although i'll still suspect it to be some duperous hoax.
Cyrus

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   

"A hole in the palate is an abnormal phenomenon," says Dr Desai.

Do you think that's the key? Maybe we should all go get a hole punched in our palate, in case #e hits the fan. Atleast we wouldn't have to worry about eating.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
TheBandit, sorry man I had a look and couldn't find one. Obviously didn't look hard enough. Where is it?

In relation to what darklanser was talking about there was a big thing about that in Britain a while back, especially Scotland where a woman had claimed to know how to exist on air and sunlight alone. Needless to say a couple of people went up to the highlands, tried it, and died.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am just amazed and skeptical at the fact a man can survive without food or anything to drink.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skull
I am just amazed and skeptical at the fact a man can survive without food or anything to drink.

It is all in your mind...

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I wonder if his fart's stink

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
holly......bull#!

i bet if he ate he would die they would have to try iving him very,very slowly

but man if that was true, and he was in perfect health godly!

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
No eating
no drinking
skinny little guy who needs a beard trim
lives in a cave
does nothing all day ....

... is this actually living???

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Does he feel hunger? I have heard of this before, another man, who underwent tests by NASA. He said he was sustained by pure sunlight..no food or water..he also was a "spiritual" person...so who knows..

-wD

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Oops..this is a double post..sorry.

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
YO! If he had no woman he had NO LIFE! 'nuff said...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Yeah, I'd say that he's full of piss...and it's dripping through his sinuses into his mouth, and there you go. He's a perpetual motion machine. I veritable dynamo. Full of piss and vinegar. An ugly bag of mostly water.

yee-haw! what a life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join