posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 01:26 PM
It's almost like he denied the reality of needing to eat. I heard about a Hindu man last year that claimed to survive only on sunshine and air. It
was later proven to be a hoax.
I found the story in an archive. The original has been deleted.
An Indian man, who claims to have survived only on liquids and sunlight for
eight years, has been invited by NASA to show them how he does it.
Hira Ratan Manek -- also known as Hirachand -- a 64-year-old mechanical
engineer who lives in the southern state of Kerala, apparently started
disliking food in 1992, the Hindustan Times newspaper reported.
In 1995, he went on a pilgrimage to the Himalayas and stopped eating
completely on his return.
His wife, Vimla, said: "Every evening he looks at the sun for one hour
without batting an eyelid. It is his main food. Occasionally he takes
coffee, tea or some other liquid."
Last June, scientists from the US space agency verified that Manek spent 130
days surviving only on water, the report said.
They even named this subsistence on water and solar energy after him: The
HRM (Hira Ratan Manek) Phenomenon.
Mr Manek is now in the US to show NASA's scientists how he survives without
The US space agency hopes to use the technique to solve food storage and
preservation problems on its expeditions, the report said.
Mr Manek said he "eats through his eyes" in the evening, when the sun's
ultraviolet rays are least harmful. He and his wife claim the technique is
totally scientific. However, doctors warn that staring at the sun can make
His wife said: "He has a special taste for sun energy. He believes only 5
per cent of human brain cells are used by most people. The other 95 per cent
can be activated through solar energy."
NASA said they never heard of this person and did not plan to study this phenomenon.
Ok, found more links about the sunlight dude...
The guy that's mentioned in this thread lives in the same state (Gujarat) in India as the guy I am posting about. Out of the 28 states and 7 union
territories what are the odds? Maybe the people in Gujarat are genetically different.
[Edited on 11-25-2003 by darklanser]