It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reparations for slavery coming to U.S. About time.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Ha, this is astonding. Not one black person has responded and you are attacking black people. Telling them what they need to do like you know what they are doing or you know what they think. this has always been a ignorant topic for internet ranting and raving and will continue to be.

I'm not a supporter of reparations, but I will try to explain it to you cause none of you seem to understand what happened in your own country.

Americans alive today were effected by the second class citizenship afford them under Jim Crow. Some were held back by unequal education and most schools in the north and south didn't start intergrating until the early 1980's. My mother went to a segragated school when she was intergrated there were protesters in Indiana that followed their bus to school everyday and tried to block their entry. Many people died during that time of intergration. My mother has told me of watching one boy tossed from a balcony at her high school by white students. In Indiana a northern state.

My own public school wasn't intergrated until 1980 actually my brother's first grade year... there were protesters outside the school from the first day. The racist inside the school made trying to learn a hell. Most of the black kids were separated into different classes and you winded up with maybe two are three black kids in the class with you. Most of the teachers were racist. They didn't want us there. That's no joke. I have my own stories to tell but I will move on.

Don't tell me the laws of this country didn't effect me or my family. You don't know because you are not black and you don't know what it's like. You don't know what coming home from N.Korea to Jim Crow did to my grandfather and you don't know what watching people lynched and raped did to my family in Mississippi. This country's laws were racist and black people were forced to pay taxes and go to war while living under a perminate state of second class citizenry. We pay taxes too. It's not only white people that pay taxes and serve this country. So if some black people want to sue Aetna Insurance for making billions on insuring slaves as property. I say do ya thang. If black people want to sue the government of the United States for supporting racist inequality until 1964 and enforcing Jim Crow then taking for nearly twenty years to enforce their own laws with proper protection for the studentst they intergrated, then I say do ya thang.

Nothing has changed those people outside of my school and in my school are still alive and you can cover your racism by saying get over it but you don't just wake one day and say, hey i'm no longer racist. You start hiding it and covering it with stupid rants about get over it.

That's my fifty five cents on the matter.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   
We've actually had reparations for quite some time-- public aid.

In the current environment, I give reparations a good chance. Few dare speak against polictical correctness. The Supreme Court has ruled that racial preferences for preferred "minorities" (affirmative action) is the overriding national goal--that diversity is more important than equal protection under the law.

Not to mention that Hispanics are pouring into the U.S. by the millions each year, and the black/Hispanic vote already has enormous power and will set their agenda in the future.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 01:17 AM
link   
"Daddy, I see. I see. I see rednecks."

Ya know, since everyone chimed in, I will too.

"I DON'T WANT ANY REPARATIONS."

There is not enough money on the planet that you can pay for killing, raping, and lynching generations upon generations of my people. There is not enough money to make me forget.

But, I'm supposed to "get over it." I'm supposed to "get over" the fact that THIS country, born on racism, has villified my race all over the planet---I know b/c I travelled. Now, I'm supposed to "get over it."

I'm supposed to "get over it" when everytime I sit on the train, someone holds their purse closer AND I KNOW that I am leagues more wiser than this moron. Now, I'm supposed to "get over it."

I'm supposed to "get over it" when I see the veiled (or overt) racism of the repugnant party almost everyday.

I got something for you to "get over."

No, I DON'T want your money.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Hey Colonel...ole' buddy....
I got your "repugnant" for ya also........

You want reparations? Sue the English, French, Arabs, Spanish, Portugal, etc....... first.....
Oh, and the Native Americans deserve reparations also....put that on the list will ya.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hey Colonel...ole' buddy....
I got your "repugnant" for ya also........

You want reparations? Sue the English, French, Arabs, Spanish, Portugal, etc....... first.....
Oh, and the Native Americans deserve reparations also....put that on the list will ya.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by Seekerof]

You need to read better.

I said, "I DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY." (It was in big print). But, you know, if the Native Americans asked for reparations, I wouldn't have a problem with it either but, I suspect that there a quite a few of them that would feel the same as I do.

Furhtermore, I'm not going to the French, English, et. al. I'm going to America b/c this country was BUILT on our free labor---the OTHER countries you mentioned were already in existence as economic powerhouses long before we came on the scene.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Awwww, you know what this is? the world's smallest violin playing the sadest song in the world just for you.

Anyways, I am part Indian but also part english. Do I sue myself? And, whaites have been slaves, blacks have been slaves, hispanics have been slaves, what makes blacks being slaves so special? If everyone sued because they had an ancestor who was a slave everyone would be in a courtroom. Also, how far back do you go? Do you do what the blacks do and say back to the time America owned slaves so we can get free money we don't deserve just because we black. Or go back to Roman times and sue everyone since the Romans had white slaves. Or back to Egyptian times so all the Jews can sue. Or back to the precambrian times so everyone can sue everyone.

If you're gonna sue for your great great great grandpa being a slave, then I should be allowed to sue for my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpa if he was a slave.(Also, got part black, so I can sue myself again, and then again some blacks owned slaves, do they sue themselves to?)

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
OK, since nobody else mentioned this:

No, you can't say the past is the past.

If a firm or family PROFITED off slavery or illegal activities then those firms/families OWE their success and MONEY to the people they subjugated, right?

I don't believe reparations should be paid by taxpayers, that's the point that needs to be made.

If someone has a legitimate case against a definitive firm/family then they should be able to collect reparations but societally paid reparations is pure horse#.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
Ha, this is astonding. Not one black person has responded and you are attacking black people. Telling them what they need to do like you know what they are doing or you know what they think. this has always been a ignorant topic for internet ranting and raving and will continue to be.

I'm not a supporter of reparations, but I will try to explain it to you cause none of you seem to understand what happened in your own country.

Americans alive today were effected by the second class citizenship afford them under Jim Crow. Some were held back by unequal education and most schools in the north and south didn't start intergrating until the early 1980's. My mother went to a segragated school when she was intergrated there were protesters in Indiana that followed their bus to school everyday and tried to block their entry. Many people died during that time of intergration. My mother has told me of watching one boy tossed from a balcony at her high school by white students. In Indiana a northern state.

My own public school wasn't intergrated until 1980 actually my brother's first grade year... there were protesters outside the school from the first day. The racist inside the school made trying to learn a hell. Most of the black kids were separated into different classes and you winded up with maybe two are three black kids in the class with you. Most of the teachers were racist. They didn't want us there. That's no joke. I have my own stories to tell but I will move on.

Don't tell me the laws of this country didn't effect me or my family. You don't know because you are not black and you don't know what it's like. You don't know what coming home from N.Korea to Jim Crow did to my grandfather and you don't know what watching people lynched and raped did to my family in Mississippi. This country's laws were racist and black people were forced to pay taxes and go to war while living under a perminate state of second class citizenry. We pay taxes too. It's not only white people that pay taxes and serve this country. So if some black people want to sue Aetna Insurance for making billions on insuring slaves as property. I say do ya thang. If black people want to sue the government of the United States for supporting racist inequality until 1964 and enforcing Jim Crow then taking for nearly twenty years to enforce their own laws with proper protection for the studentst they intergrated, then I say do ya thang.

Nothing has changed those people outside of my school and in my school are still alive and you can cover your racism by saying get over it but you don't just wake one day and say, hey i'm no longer racist. You start hiding it and covering it with stupid rants about get over it.

That's my fifty five cents on the matter.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by Saphronia]

Man you are truly reaching there, how do you know I am not black? Just because I disagree with reperations does not mean I am not black. Dont assume.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

There is not enough money on the planet that you can pay for killing, raping, and lynching generations upon generations of my people. There is not enough money to make me forget.

But, I'm supposed to "get over it." I'm supposed to "get over" the fact that THIS country, born on racism, has villified my race all over the planet---I know b/c I travelled. Now, I'm supposed to "get over it."

I'm supposed to "get over it" when everytime I sit on the train, someone holds their purse closer AND I KNOW that I am leagues more wiser than this moron. Now, I'm supposed to "get over it."

I'm supposed to "get over it" when I see the veiled (or overt) racism of the repugnant party almost everyday.

Hey colonel sanders, It was your people who put you into that situation. Take a history class. Your big mouth wouldnt be able to speak your mind if you did not go through that. If you dont like the way things are done here in america. Go back home, in africa. Youll love it there.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well, its quite obvious that your not black.

Secondly, I have never been to Africa, was never born there, so it is not MY home.

And currently, I AM reading a history of THIS country with slavery, the practical genocide of the Native American, the oppression of women, the propoganda that made for the build up of our current war economy, and the like.

The only way the whites could capture slaves in Africa was to falsely befriend them first, which was the modus operandi for all the conquests. Then, when their intentions were made clear, they caught a few traitors who KNEW how to traverse the jungles (because the whites couldn't handle the terrain---the same as when they came here and falsely befriended the Indian just to take his land). That's how slavery began. So, no, it wasn't the entire African nation that was involved in this as you would imply.

So, maybe its YOU that needs that history class.

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

You don't want our money, I think I smell DENIAL. All I hear is how we need to stop racism and prejudgice the act of PRE-JUDGING. You are just as guilty of pre-judging as anybody else "the reason she held her purse so close is because your black". My ass... You are just looking for another reason to complain because the rest of your life is so booring. And as for lynching and slavery, it was your own people that started selling their own kind for profit, kind of like now with all the drugs and gangs. And as for the word REDNECK... is it only REDNECK that are prejudgice I dont think so the largest group of people that hate or just dislike blacks are your own. Well you don't want my money.... Good because its not just mine it is everyones at least the tax payers (not the welfare cases or criminals in prison which just happen to to be more than 50% black, oh wait I forgot the white man made you pull the trigger). I have an idea for you uncle Tom, Dont write reallity checks that your brain cant cash.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reparations.....so, what..are WE, in the present, now going to be held responsible for what OTHERS did in the past???? that is the beginning of what happens in 'third world' or moslum countries.....

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's a thought for you all....SLAVERY WAS LEGAL. Therefore, those who used slavery, were only doing business within the law. Therefore, there is no ground for reparations.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The idea of slave reparations in the United States is complete bullshyte. No one could possibly, or fairly track down who exactly should even recieve these pay-offs. Or who should pay. We are too far removed. No one alive today is responsible for the transgressions of our forefathers.

I am not a racist. I am a realist.

Slavery is an abomination. And unfortunately it has existed since the beginning of man. No race is blameless.

All the people demanding slave reparations should be out there demanding the end of slavery wherever in the world it is found. And it is thriving across the globe as we chat.

Don't try and feed off of it. END IT.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What do I hear? More crying from people who want free money? Do I hear whining from the race that consists mostly of welfare and prisoners and druggies. Do I hear bitching from the race that takes more tax dollars than anyhting else? Hell, the military wish they had your funding.

Anyways, you already get free money, get over it. If you want more free money, mug/steal from people. Then when you get caught, get a nice dry place to sleep and feed three square meals a day while getting your three hours either outside on the "playground" or in the first class gym. Then after the good tax paying working people pay your way through eight years you get out, commit more crimes, and go back to take more money from them. How many criminals in prison are there for the second or third or even fourth time? Most first time offenders don't even get jail, it's when they continue thier ways they go back.

Anyways, quit the bitchin and get a job like the good people and stop whining for free money you don't deserve. Hell, even if they did approve giving more free money to your ass, how do we know you deserve it? What if you came after slavery?(ancestors anyways) Or what if you were one of the ones that owned slaves? Or what if you have no proof but since a whining bitch you say you deserve money.

You don't see me going "Waaaaa! I'm part Indian, give me free money I don't deserve just because my great great great great grandmother was once looked at in a bad way!"

Anyways, you weren't a slave, your ancestor probably wasn't either, so stop whining and as said get a job, get off welfare, stay out of jail, be a good person, not a whiner.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I'm native american. everyone in wisconsin and michigan. off my lawn.

If you're not African, Cherokee, German or Dutch get off mine too, but leave my $40,000 please before you go!

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
What do I hear? More crying from people who want free money? Do I hear whining from the race that consists mostly of welfare and prisoners and druggies. Do I hear bitching from the race that takes more tax dollars than anyhting else? Hell, the military wish they had your funding.

Anyways, you already get free money, get over it. If you want more free money, mug/steal from people. Then when you get caught, get a nice dry place to sleep and feed three square meals a day while getting your three hours either outside on the "playground" or in the first class gym. Then after the good tax paying working people pay your way through eight years you get out, commit more crimes, and go back to take more money from them. How many criminals in prison are there for the second or third or even fourth time? Most first time offenders don't even get jail, it's when they continue thier ways they go back.

Anyways, quit the bitchin and get a job like the good people and stop whining for free money you don't deserve. Hell, even if they did approve giving more free money to your ass, how do we know you deserve it? What if you came after slavery?(ancestors anyways) Or what if you were one of the ones that owned slaves? Or what if you have no proof but since a whining bitch you say you deserve money.

You don't see me going "Waaaaa! I'm part Indian, give me free money I don't deserve just because my great great great great grandmother was once looked at in a bad way!"

Anyways, you weren't a slave, your ancestor probably wasn't either, so stop whining and as said get a job, get off welfare, stay out of jail, be a good person, not a whiner.

Well. You are just a piece of human waste. Period. responding to your pathetic diatribe of insensitivity, hatred and ignorance would be very taxing. So, here is a fact for you moron person.

Black Americans account for 36% of the population. They also account for $645 BILLION worth of input into our economy. I suppose this comes from welfare you sick F....

You are a racist liar. I bet you are a real loser.

Good Day.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Capone
www.suntimes.com...

The City Council champion of the slave reparations movement demanded Monday that Carole Brown apologize to African Americans or step down as CTA board chairwoman for "allowing herself to be used" to defend a financial services firm with past ties to slavery.

Ald. Dorothy Tillman (3rd) said it's insensitive and insulting for Brown, senior vice president of Lehman Brothers, to suggest that "the Lehman Brothers in the 1850s is not the company that it is today."

Brown made the statement after the company she works for became the first city contractor to admit past ties to slavery.

I used to be one of the MOST prejedust people on earth. I hated everyone including white people j/k, but I have sooo much respect for MAN/WOMAN in general(Thanks to the lord) the only thing I hear all the time is the white people where wrong for slavery (WE/THEY WHERE).

The black people have a unforgiven hatred for ignorance for what (they NOT I, OR MOST WHITE PEOPLE) did in the past. If all White/Black people would just forget about what happend and get on with their life it would be a MUCH better place. Forget WHITE/BLACK let's all just be one (forget the color)

If we just accept our STUPIDITY, and forgive the STUPIDITY (PROBLEM SOLVED) get on with life.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmanfu
You don't want our money, I think I smell DENIAL. All I hear is how we need to stop racism and prejudgice the act of PRE-JUDGING. You are just as guilty of pre-judging as anybody else "the reason she held her purse so close is because your black". My ass... You are just looking for another reason to complain because the rest of your life is so booring. And as for lynching and slavery, it was your own people that started selling their own kind for profit, kind of like now with all the drugs and gangs. And as for the word REDNECK... is it only REDNECK that are prejudgice I dont think so the largest group of people that hate or just dislike blacks are your own. Well you don't want my money.... Good because its not just mine it is everyones at least the tax payers (not the welfare cases or criminals in prison which just happen to to be more than 50% black, oh wait I forgot the white man made you pull the trigger). I have an idea for you uncle Tom, Dont write reallity checks that your brain cant cash.

I always laugh when I see stuf like this, seriously. We'll start from the beginning...

1)"You don't want our money" What money do YOU have that I want? I am quite comfortable, thank you. First of all, I NEVER wanted your money and if you're saying some banks money, old corp's money, or the government's money is "white people's money,: I do believe those organizations were around and earned a great deal from the free labor of blacks.

And I was guilty of pre-judging? Well, it was more than ONE person and I've been on this planet for a bit to make an objective judgment.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
But wait. I'm complaining?

No.

I am stating an objective fact about this society. I don't want your money. I don't want your women (slept with enough of 'em). I don't want anything from you.

I am just telling you what I see and what everyone that looks like me or comes close to me (other races) sees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join