It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reparations for slavery coming to U.S. About time.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.suntimes.com...

The City Council champion of the slave reparations movement demanded Monday that Carole Brown apologize to African Americans or step down as CTA board chairwoman for "allowing herself to be used" to defend a financial services firm with past ties to slavery.

Ald. Dorothy Tillman (3rd) said it's insensitive and insulting for Brown, senior vice president of Lehman Brothers, to suggest that "the Lehman Brothers in the 1850s is not the company that it is today."

Brown made the statement after the company she works for became the first city contractor to admit past ties to slavery.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What joke, I'm an American of Scottish ancestry, maybe I shoudl sue all of you HIghland bast#@rds for all the free labor and forced conscription by Highland clans...

African American extremeists will NEVER get reparations from THE MAN in this contry.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
how does repaying someone for something their great great grandfather suffered change anything? If people want to ge t on the "my past family was persecuted, so i want to cash in on them" bandwagon, then maybe the 1/8th cherokee in me is worth something now, or perhaps the rest of me thats german? When will the world learn to freaking let go and move on, weve outlawed slavery, established relatively equal rights (still has bugs in it) so why not let it die already.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm native american. everyone in wisconsin and michigan. off my lawn.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reparations for something ancestors did around 130 years ago? umm am i the only one who sees the error in that? thats like executing someones great, great, great grand child for killing someone 200 years before....

kinda obsessive and childish dont ya think.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
reparations for something ancestors did around 130 years ago? umm am i the only one who sees the error in that? thats like executing someones great, great, great grand child for killing someone 200 years before....

kinda obsessive and childish dont ya think.

exactly. does it directly efect the people today? nope.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
judging a race on what there stupid ingotant great grand father's did needs to go,

we all know what are grand fathers did to the asians,blacks, indens was godalfull bad... but "we" dint do it, stop blaming eachother for what happend in history

i know 99% of people agree with that, but there will always be that 1%

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
don't mean to be offend anyone, because this is just my opinion. but anyone that asks for reparations is just to lazy to get a job or better themselves. you can't ask for something that happened to your family hundreds of years ago and think that it's gonna make everything right. because nothing is going to change. several races have been screwed in the u.s. and if reparations were given, we'd all end up the same place we are now. but once again, this is just my opinion, and i'm sorry if i've offended anyone.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Brown made the statement after the company she works for became the first city contractor to admit past ties to slavery.

Hrm, in my haste i missed this part, which is just as stupid as the rest of it. Past ties are just that PAST If one of my ancestors was a member of the SS, would that mean I owe the Jews something?

Its such a shame that we have sensible agreeable folks here, but the morons that make policy and have clount are always the ones to call the shots. Myabe ATS should start its own political party and get some intelligence into public office!

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My grandfather helped save America fromt he Nazis.

I deserve reperations for him being cold and hungry for 3 years. Not to mention him losing all his teeth.

At the very least I deserve a job and minority rights for being in a city thats %10- %20 white. That makes me a minority right?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury

Oh, sorry I will move right now.

My view on reperations.
Its all BS. I don't recall my family owning slaves, oh wait slavery wasnt as prevelant in the North. Hmmm, who cares. I want reperations for the years my family was taxed by the WHITE GOVERNMENT.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Its not my fault you were on our property before we got here.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

funny true but mean

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

funny true but mean

Keeping it warm for us huh.
We needed someone to make sure our land wasnt dangerous before we got here.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
o ya, thanksgiving is coming up, turn on the grill

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
How many black people on this mesasage board have been slaves? Get the heck over it. What you need to do is go make your own money. I know black people who are successful in the US. You can do it. Just have to stop pretending like your being held down. It drives me up a wall. I am an estimator for a construction company. We are required to purchase a certain amount of labor and materials from minority companies on most jobs we bid on. You know what the minority companies do? They raise the prices. We have hire quotas. We have school acceptance quotas. This is forced money into the black section of our population. Other minorities as well. That is reperations enough for all of us. Typical of anything the government gets involved with. Reparations are a complete joke. How much of that money do you think your average colored person is going to see anyway? Another question. How much do you think our buddy Jesse Jackson will see. Yeah, think about it.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Maybe they should hit up some of the black africans today, after all they are the ones that sold their fellow africans to the european/americans.

I don't remember which tribes they were, but I remember watching a class on the tube where the teacher(a native american) explained how native americans also had africans as slaves.

Slavery is not created by the white man, it is a human thing.

Originally posted by Capone
www.suntimes.com...

The City Council champion of the slave reparations movement demanded Monday that Carole Brown apologize to African Americans or step down as CTA board chairwoman for "allowing herself to be used" to defend a financial services firm with past ties to slavery.

Ald. Dorothy Tillman (3rd) said it's insensitive and insulting for Brown, senior vice president of Lehman Brothers, to suggest that "the Lehman Brothers in the 1850s is not the company that it is today."

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by groovyguru
What joke, I'm an American of Scottish ancestry, maybe I shoudl sue all of you HIghland bast#@rds for all the free labor and forced conscription by Highland clans...

I'm German and Polish... my parents are Protestant and Catholic... do I sue myself?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Personally, I'm waiting for all the Jewish people to bring a lawsuit against the country of Egypt for unpaid labor on the pyramids.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And since the Poles in my family (grandparents) were Jewish...

and I'm a member of the Ojibawa tribe...

and I have an African blood trait (G6PD)...

Between this and my first posting, hell, I should be raking in the money...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join