It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego Out of Control...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Being relatively new to this site, I have noticed a good number of people who seem to think that once a topic is discussed (by them) that that pretty much covers it. In their opinion the topic should never be posted again.

So, maybe the next time you find yourself killing a post just because it has been discssed in depth before, give a care to remember that many of these issues have raged since the beginning of time. Unfortunately you are really not a "special" thinker in the larger sceme of things, and quite possibly yours is not the final say on any topic.

That said, pointing out that other threads exist is not unwelcome. From a newcomer's view, it is helpful to know if some other good arguments exist in the archives. But get real, those of us who are new are not going to go back and read the entire archive of posts as if it was written by Aristotle.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
To a point I agree with you but it would be nice if people would take a few minutes to review what has been posted recently before making new additions.

Frankly I think that one of the best features that ATS doesn't have is an ability to search throught past Subject headers. Would be very handy and would reduce the number of new threads I think. Don't know the effect on the database or whether it would slow down the site's reponse times though.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I have seen a board go down because people kept pointing out that the subjects have been discussed before and that one should first read through the past topics.
The problem is, that requires DAYS of reading, 10-15 hours a day, NOBODY has that much time.

At any given time, half of the members on the board are NEW members, who have not participated in duscussions. So, why not let them? If you have discussed it in the past, simply ignore the topic and let the newbies discuss.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip

is, that requires DAYS of reading, 10-15 hours a day, NOBODY has that much time.

Yeah, I hate it when people say "That topic was posted six months ago, go look for it." I'm, like, what the frock?

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
When I point out a repetitive thread, I at least try to point to the URL(s) for the older thread(s)...That way, at least the newer posters can review what was said before.

Whether they keep posting in the new thread or not (after looking over the older thread) is irrelevant to me...After all, the only thing I do is Deny Ignorance by pointing out the earlier info for others to take into consideration.

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
the problem with saying look up old threads is that if everyone did that and wanted to add their point of view to it then the thread would get so big that many people wouldn't be bothered to work their way through it.I'm sure that a lot of what people have to say has been said before somewhere on this forum but people should be able to refresh subjects with new threads without worrying that they are going to be slated for it.
I've started a thread today that i'm sure will have been covered before. But it was something that was on my mind and I wanted to know what other people thought. I could have just looked it up and read other peoples thoughts but then those members online today wouldn't know what was on my mind and have a chance to add their comments.thats what makes this a site for discussion and not just for reference.

new topics

top topics

join