Bible backed up by Archeology find

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I found this interesting. Something seems to easy about it. And the inscription just looks cheesy. Something just tells me this is not true. (Like other Biblical finds, end up being fakes)

Scholars Discover Parts of New Testament 11-23-03 JERUSALEM - A barely legible clue — the name "Simon" carved in Greek letters — beckoned from high up on the weather-beaten facade of an ancient burial monument. Their curiosity piqued, two Jerusalem scholars uncovered six previously invisible lines of inscription: a Gospel verse — Luke 2:25. Archaeological finds confirming biblical narrative or referring to figures from the Bible are rare, and this is believed to be the first discovery of a New Testament verse carved onto an ancient Holy Land shrine, said inscriptions expert Emile Puech, who deciphered the writing. A few Old Testament phrases have been found on monuments, and a passage from Paul's Letter to the Romans (3:13) is laid into a floor mosaic into the ancient Roman city of Caesarea. Jim Strange, a New Testament scholar from the University of South Florida, said the ancients apparently believed chiseling Scripture into monuments debased sacred words. The widespread use of Bible verses on shrines began only around 1,000 A.D., in Europe, said Strange, who was unconnected with the discovery. The inscription declares the 60-foot-high monument is the tomb of Simon, a devout Jew who the Bible says cradled the infant Jesus and recognized him as the Messiah.

Full article: Scholars Discover Parts of New Testament

Any Biblical history buffs out there want to agree/disagree with what the scientists found?

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Good find

Strange said he had little doubt the inscriptions were genuine. If fake, "then it was forged by someone who failed because nobody noticed (the inscriptions)," he said.

The earlier they date the New Testament the more authentic it can be seen to be. The old Islamic lie that it has been corrupted over the centuries is shown for the rubbish it is.

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Good find

The earlier they date the New Testament the more authentic it can be seen to be. The old Islamic lie that it has been corrupted over the centuries is shown for the rubbish it is.

Thanks. I am unfamiliar with the "old Islamic lie". Could you catch me up on it?

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Often when you discuss the bible with a Muslim, they say that it cannot be trusted as it has been corrupted over the centuries, unlike their Koran which they say is still in the original language and original words.

This tactic is used to deny the reality of anything they don't like.

Also as Mohammed only encountered a cult version of the NT and those wrong teachings appear in the Koran, they can say that this is the REAL meaning and the NT as we know it is corrupt.

This argument - that the bible is corrupt - and therefore unreliable is often used by debaters to dismiss it as well. So the earlier it is authenticated as being written, then the more "real" the events of Jesus can be accertained, as from eye wittnesses.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Whomever can pass off a hoax on religious groups can control them through foolery. No wonder so many have tried. They're an easy target...so gullible, as long as it's what they want to believe. They'd follow anyone right off the edge of a cliff, if they thought he/she was "holy".

[Edited on 11-24-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
Whomever can pass off a hoax on religious groups can control them through foolery. No wonder so many have tried. They're an easy target...so gullible, as long as it's what they want to believe. They'd follow anyone right off the edge of a cliff, if they thought he/she was "holy".

Ahh yes, blind faith. Many people are willing to blindly follow someone. That is one aspect of faith that I cannot do. I am scientific in my thoughts, I need proof. And with all these "miracles" out there, one would think that is proof enough, but with so many bad things happening to good people, I wonder, and cannot accept certain points of faith blindly.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yes, there have been so many forgeries (see my thread) and faked relics ( James' "box", the Shroud of Turin etc.) that someone, somewhere is bound to believe in it.

It's the principle of "throw enough # on the wall and some will eventually stick."

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by Helioform]

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant