It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashing Avatars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Do we have to pay 50 pts, or can you guys put some kinda ban on flashing avatars, because just the other day I got hypnotized by MoJoM's !

I swear I stood there for a full 10 minutes and I couldn't take my eyes off it, and my eyes are sensitive too. Does anyone else have a problem with flashing avatars?

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by mig12]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
Do we have to pay 50 pts, or can you guys put some kinda ban on flashing avatars, because just the other day I got hypnotized by MoJoM's !

I swear I stood there for a full 10 minutes and I couldn't take my eyes off it, and my eyes are sensitive too. Does anyone else have a problem with flashing avatars?

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by mig12]

no, mine flashed the crap outta every1 ages ago...nearly got
for it

flashing ones are great though, they mezmerise you into a totally different realm

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You could perhaps switch to low bandwidth ATS if it is a big problem.

Personally I find Lysergics rather more hypnotic.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The animations come across as very jerky and stop-motion. You *can* cruise with images off, and many threads will load faster.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
You could perhaps switch to low bandwidth ATS if it is a big problem.

Personally I find Lysergics rather more hypnotic.

im still looking for the link.......must get me more of them .gifs'!!!

lysergic's got style...i'll give him credit for that, he's got so much style he cramps mine

btw, lysergic, if ur reading this, there are such things as U2U's that need to be checked on your page...

Peace
Cyrus

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Flashing Avatars!

What about video avatars?

That is where it is at, I was one of the first at ATS with a video clip as an avatar!

Soon everyone will have their own little films custom made.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Flashing Avatars!

What about video avatars?

That is where it is at, I was one of the first at ATS with a video clip as an avatar!

Soon everyone will have their own little films custom made.

tell!!

link!! where??

BTW....The neo, do you know of colonel's sudden disappearance off ATS?? it's bizarre....i've missed the political debates, no doubt we need him back on

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Just do a search for avatars, more and more of them are now video clips. I think most chat boards now can handle them.

Yeah Colonel, well I don't miss him frankly. At least not the way he was going on. I didn't mind him as a member ranting and raving the way he was but not as a mod. Think that it is a bad example. Sure the mud pit is not for little girls or little boys for that matter, but there needs to be some order in there too.

Oh well if and when he comes back hope to see a tamer and more disciplined Colonel. Despite the shorter claws, I would expect some good debates and arguments to result.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
We still have a filesize limit of 75k on avatars though.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Whilst I don't really mind (this isn't a complaint as such), I've found some threads can be painfully slow to scroll at times due to there being a lot of large, animated avatars all trying load at the one time - and I don't think it's just bandwidth, I've got a 512k broadband connection. There's only so much a browser can do at once.

Yeah I know I could switch to the low bandwidth verison, but I'd like to try and avoid that. I just think there should be restrictions on what defines an avatar - animated GIFs are one thing, actual movie files as avatars would just be ridiculous.

Just my two cents

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If the flashing avatars annoy you, there's a simple solution. When the page has loaded, click on the stop button in your browser toolbar and the animated avatars will stop animating.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
If the flashing avatars annoy you, there's a simple solution. When the page has loaded, click on the stop button in your browser toolbar and the animated avatars will stop animating.

Very true Zzub - having re-read my post it was a pretty hollow grumble...not even a grumble as such... I guess I just had visions of loads of MPEG video avatars making my browser collapse in fright

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If a page is loading very slowly for someone due to a user's avatar, simply use the Complain link so that a mod or admin can deal with the situation.

While Lysergic's avatar surely takes the cake for being well over the stated limit of 75k (it was in fact 600k), it is quite easy to alter a short movie clip into an animated image of a decent size and compression with some patient tweaking. The staff here have quite a history with creative animated GIF files.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
No, I agree with you. I'm on a half meg pipe and it's sometimes pretty slow for me too.

On the forum a million miles away from here where I moderate, we had to ban flash and java applet avatars. Most of the server time was spent sending out the avatars and the pages became unusable. So, now we have a ban on animated sigs. it does make sense.

If you have 50 replies on one page with these sigs, the page would be very jerky to scroll.

But, it's not really a problem yet here, I don't think. Also, we get to stare at Lysergic's shaking ass, what I mean is his shaking ass avatar. Also, there's the one which zooms into the same picture over and over, I love that one. There is a certain art to making small, animated sigs. I was going to have animated flashing christmas lights on mine, but my gifanimator CD has gone missing.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I have removed Lysergic's avatar, sorry.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Fair enough. It had to be done. It was distracting anyway

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sorry all, would've changed it myself and sooner, just haven't been home for a few days.

sorry didn't realize it was that big

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I was going to have animated flashing christmas lights on mine, but my gifanimator CD has gone missing.

Merry Non Denominational Holiday Zzub.

[Edited on 11-24-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Ho my .... I didn't see his new avatar

God I like britanic humour

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
darklanser, thanks for taking the time to do that, I love it!

The phrase in my avatar has been in my head for years, I'm glad I finally found a use for it.

He he.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join