It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

long till the Terminators?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
how many years do you think are left till we get the real robots that operate like humans?

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberGhost
how many years do you think are left till we get the real robots that operate like humans?

I think we are at the dawn of that age.

Personally, I'd be afraid of such machines. No, not because they'd rebel against us. There is no way such things can rebel, we'd always have a fail-safe on them. But I would be afraid of the androids, the ones that look human. It's extremely scary to look a manifestation of humanity that is so cold, so stagnat, so... not real. Just something so frightening about androids. C-3POs cool, though.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I believe it will be a good 50 years before we see robots that you are talking about.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I dunno, they have a robot that can dance now, it might be soon.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberGhost

There is such a robot in Japan who can talk to you and he nows how to walk and dance.

I forgot where I read this but it is true.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I dont know about terminators , more i see the Blade Runner scenario.......

making human replicants that do all the # jobs then trying to wipe them out when they rebel.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think it could be 20-40 years before we see a sort of terminator. The pentagon is believed to be researching into terminator kinda of troops

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Have you ever seen that lil sony robot? It's so funny watching it do... various things. The most current one is the SDR-4X-II. It walks around objects and I suppose it can have simple conversations with people. I'd send links but I can't find a good video of it walkin' and stuff. The only catch is that they say it will cost as much as a luxury car... so $40-60,000... Plus there's that Honda robot, what's it's name, ASIMO or is that an old computer?
These are just a few examples of how close we really are to robotic soldiers. Maybe one day war will be simulated and there will be set rules for fighting ... but if countries would do that, why wouldn't they just settle it diplomatically?
Yes, I'd hope that they'd evolve into something useful and war in the middle east would stop, but if not it'd be cool to see mechs and next-gen fighting machines. (ramble)

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It'd be funny if that little Sony robot rebelled and started killing people. ^_^
It'd shoot you, and then do a little dance. *snicker*

Seriously though, it's not the -human- robots one should worry about for a while, it's the errant ones from far away places that you REALLY have to worry about.

posted on Nov, 25 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peorth
It'd be funny if that little Sony robot rebelled and started killing people. ^_^
It'd shoot you, and then do a little dance. *snicker*

Seriously though, it's not the -human- robots one should worry about for a while, it's the errant ones from far away places that you REALLY have to worry about.

you're either subliming into one, or you already are one.
the word you're looking for....is likely to be atrocious, funny cannot, does not, serve the purpose of one slaughtered by an assumed "tame toy".
take your meds

a disgusted
Cyrus

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:05 AM
link   
There's already remote drones, won't be long til we coudl program the drones to be autonomous on a patrol route, maybe something simple such as firing on targets with specific heat signatures.. ect... I'd say give it abother 10 years,,,

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
9 years, about 21st of december 2012.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   
i think we'll see nano-technology implemented on humans before we see a "terminator" style robot. which alone is scary enough,

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
if that little Sony robot went "nuts" and started killing,

I would just go to the future, the 25th century and find buck rogers and ask him to borrow Twiki and bring him back to kick some Sony robot butt !!!

top topics

join