It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swords

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This will probebly be my last post on this subject as it is personally painful.

There is no honor in killing someone.

From a distance it is scary.

Up close its scary and messy.

You will remember both for the rest of your life.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i agree there is no honour in killing but sometimes it is necesarry
also can we leave this subject we have drifted off the point of the thread and may have caused others unecesarry hurt

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
For the masons amongst us :

Masonic Sword Replica

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I would prefer to fight with a gun. I hate to admit it but I'm not much of an athlete
But anywho I'd prefer a sniper rifle but cause my life style involves a lot of observation and thinking quickly from the shadows or afar. So I live my life like a sniper. But I am saving up to buy a decent sword at the town fair. This is because it would look cool and my house is somewhat clutered so a sniper rifle is near useless in my house. A shotgun would be useful but in my house if I had to fight off a burglur a sword would be most effective. Does anyone know if there are laws restricting swords in ways other than attacking a person.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hint. If you want a sword to fight a non-gun armed robber, then get a smallsword. A light, accurate *thrusting* sword.

Don't imitate what they do in movies. (big over the head slashing motions). You are not trying to hack off limbs through armor.

Then learn some Western martial arts, i.e. fencing. It's amazingly fun---and deep---as a sport too. The important thing there is the speed and footwork, being able to close distance in an instant. Epee would be the best training for sword defense, though still sport fencing is a sport not for actual danger fighting.

In fencing, the point of it is, so to speak, to hit the opponent. That means you keep the pointy bit pointed at the opposing target as much as possible.

In fencing if you try a conan move, raise your arm and flail, any half decent opponent already hit you.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
absoultely, and if I may, the best place to purchase one if you are very serious about Japanese swords is Buegi Trading company near San Diego, and their website adddress is:

www.Buegi.com...

I bought a Shobu Zukuri Katana for around $1000.00 (included cleaning kit and sword bag. Sword stands are seperate but they have some nice ones for about $54.00 and up.) My Next little purchase is to have a the Shobu Zukuri Wakizashi -which is the smaller verion of the above, as you probably know the Samurai had two swords plus the knife which was used for
seppekku. Its said the Samurai named their swords since they knew a spirit dwell in them after the making. (The scream of metal with cold water was the soul of the warrior within-who had to be named by the Samurai owner) "Golden Grace" is the name for my sword and I have had the name engraved in "Kenji" on both sides of the blade.

Here is a photo of my sword:

I am hoping to go to Japan next year and maybe I can find someone who makes swords. Just to watch it happen must be mystical in itself. ALSO.. I hope to take a class in Kendo and Iaito this year...to have a sword and not know how to use it ...well is a waste of steel. :-D

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Scoey]

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Scoey]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Anyone who has bought a sword made of 440 or any other stainless steel must be VERY VERY careful about swinging it with ANY force whatsoever. there are two reasons for this this first is that stainlees is to hard to make a good blade (as it is too brittle) and if the blade hits anything hard it may well shatter. the second reason is that most swords with a stainless blade have whats knwn as a rat tail tang which is prone to break and could well send your blade flying. Most swords sold today are of this type of manufacture and are in fact crap! If any of you are interested in learning about swrds from people wh actually KNOW what they are talking about (I.E. bladesmiths, Trained swordsmen) headover to
www.swordforum.com and you will learn mre about REAL swords that you could ever imagine.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
BTW just because a website or retailer says its battle ready does NOT mean it is!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Swords sold from the Bugei Trading company are the real deal. They offer a video tape on how the swords are used in "Tamesigiri" which is testing the sword ...usually cutting though "Goza" which seems to be a bamboo woven mat, that is rolled up and placed on a wooden stand.

The swords sold by Bugei are tested, for example their Bamboo Koshirae Katana was tested at over four thousand cuts, primarily on bamboo. Some of the swords offered are made of Swedish powdered steel, which has almost twice the the fracture strength of regular steel and will hold an edge much longer.

again the address is: www.Bugei.com...

Of course, one has to do their own maintence on the sword, as they provide a cleaning kit and instructions. For about $52 dollars you can buy an inexpensive sword stand, still they have better ones if you want something classy.

Incidently, the swords sell from about $1000 up to $8000.00 These of course are modern swords, not antiques. They are functional and not toys. These are real weapons and can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Thats why I wish to take Kendo...and when I want to swing a sword around I usually use my Bokkens or Shinai.

Bugei will even customize a sword for you if you have the cash to do so. They also carry a line of the Paul Chen swords.

Having been a customer of theirs, I give them high marks for a sword that can be used in Iaido and Tameshigiri. I have also bought from them a fine oak bokken though they have hickory bokken as well. The bokken comes with a tough plastic saya and tsuba.

The one thing they don't sell, but I am able to get locally here in San Francisco is a Kendo Bamboo Shinai. Having looked on the internet, Kendo can be very expensive, especially if you own your own armor. which can start around $200 and go up from there. Still, if you want to SKI you need good equiptment, same with the equiptment for Kendo and Iaito.

I can't wait to visit JAPAN next year. I have quite a few books about Bushido; Miyamoto Musashi 's Book of the Five Rings, Hiroaki Sato's The Sword and the Mind, History of the Samurai by Mitsuo Kure, Sun TZU's The Art of WAR, Looking At A Far Mountain by Paul Budden, Kendo- The definitive guide by Hiroshi Ozawa as well as a few others about the history of the Samurai. There are some great books out there!

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Scoey]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hey, Scoey, it looks like you're really into the samurai and swords. I have a couple of replica katanas now, but I definately want to get a fully functional sword. I want something I can use, whether it be cutting through targets or defending myself if the situation called for it.

Is this the sword you have? bugei.com...
It looks like a very nice sword, and I think I might have to start saving up for it.

I'm jealous of you, I'd love to go to Japan. Hopefully you have a great time!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Yep, thats my baby. As I said before I hope to get the Wakizashi to go with it. Bugei says they are coming out with the mate to mine. I have to tell you my Katana is very heavy. I think I may have to go work out with weights before I could ever really use it. I recall reading the Katana was used on horse back while the Wakizashi was more a hand to hand combat sword. Though some Katana are lighter...and still have a blade that can cut though ...well what ever it has to cut though. Katana is definately a two handed sword but I read somewhere in The Book of Five rings, it can be used one handed. I don't know the weight of mine.... they don't mention the weight on the website...but the thing is very heavy. Next time I buy a Katana, I want something a bit lighter.

If you really want one....save up...its worth it.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Actually after looking thru the site some more, I came across this sword.

bugei.com...

It's a lot more in my price range (poor college student that I am) and it seems to be a good beginners sword but still functional. I think I might go for this one. It still looks very nice.

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
That sword is good for Iaido...which is basically a practice of drawing the sword....striking, flipping off the blood and returning back to the scabbard in one motion.

It does says the sword can not be used for cutting... so while you might be able to stab someone with it, it has no real cutting blade. Still, if you want to start out with something simple, that would be it.

I think a good thing to practice with is the wooden bokken...and if you get two then you can practice with someone. Get a few books on Kendo or Kenjitsu... or take some classes... if you learn Kendo they usually teach iaito along with it.

I love my Katana blade, but to tell you the truth, I would much prefer a lighter sword...of course I may change my mind once I go back to the gym and work out.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
If you want something that will cut like a banshee go to the custom section of Buge and look up L6 banite(it'll cost you tho)

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Scoey that is a amazing katana you have, looks really nice

I bought a cheap replica samuari katana one of ebay about a month back including postal etc for around 75/80 pound.

I used to love the cartoons/films that had swords in them when i was younger and after watching 'Kill Bill' i decided to take the plunge and get one.

Gonna save up to buy a better one in future. I think they are great things to own

Rynaldo

p.s if i can get a picture of it took i will try get it posted

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
i think that the japaneese scimitars are the best swords

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Although killing is senseless, the double standard in the world is that people share qualities and ideals in life they they deem worth dying for. Religion. Opression. Genocide. The like. When it does come down to when it is necessary to take a life, one must find perspective and ask him/herself that although killing is a senseless thing, is what he/she believes in worth dying for? Ok, no more social commentary...the bests word in the world is the japanese Samurai Sword...

What you are looking at is a 3 to 4 foot long RAZOR BLADE that, if left to fall under it own weight onto a Watermelon, would cleave it clean through. The Watermelon example is best fort this post since experts say it closely aproximates the density of the human head.

link   
It can do this...

...very easily.

[edit on 043030p://u23. by Hard Red]

link   
This si a link to a website where you can customize and purchase Ultra-High Class and Quality Samurai Swords and other ancient weapons...this particualr link goes to a section of the site where videos of the company Swordsmith/Bushido-Iado-Samurai Instructor is demonstrating one of their blades.

www.dojoofthefourwinds.com...

[edit on 053030p://u24. by Hard Red]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I recall reading a tidbit that the best Japanese sword could be tested in such a way....as a long piece of fine black hair was plucked from the head and dropped across the sharp part of the blade. If the hair was split in half...it was one sharp sword. If it didn't split it was given two more chances, and if not then the swordmaker would go back to shapening the blade till it did. This could have been myth...for there were many about the swords back then.

I would have to agree that the Japanese sword for its time was the very best sword in the world. Some one once wrote an article called "Which is better the Japanese sword or the Chinese sword". The thing they over looked was, that Japan having an excess of swords and sword makers at one time sold swords to China. Later on the Chinese found out how the swords were forged and made their own.

There are very few sword makers today in Japan, and like some one said once it is made it never leaves the country because it is considered a national piece of art. One would have to have very very high connections to get "japanese steel" and to have the money to pay for it.

Which reminds me...In the movie Kill Bill the bride goes to the best swordsmaker in Japan and requests "Japanese Steel". He asks here what does she intend to use it for. She replys...." I have a large rat to kill." To which he replies..."It must be some very big rat!!"...and she replies "Oh , man you don't even know!!" I LOVED that line....

Japanese sword movies are starting to catch on....Here in the states. The next film to come out soon will be about a blind swordsman who saves a small town. It was filmed in Japan, and will probably have english subtitiles....called Zatoichi and is already a classic in Japan.

You can see the trailer for the movie here: www.apple.com...

I am looking forward to seeing that and Jet Li 's two movies "Hero" and "Lover" which feature two of the cast from Crouching Tiger -Hidden draggen....the two young lovers who were in that movie are in these with Jet Li.

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Scoey]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join