It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swords

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It would kick ass if battles were fought with swords, they would require real soldiers instead of ones that hide far away in shoot like cowards. Also the govenment wouldnt have to spend so much money
. My fave sword is the Roman Short swordwww.myarmoury.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SABOTWULF
Not a whole lot of sword gurus in here. There are 3 different types of swords you can buy. Authentics, replicas, and reproductions. Reproduction are the very cheap wall mount types that can't cut butter and bend and break by just looking at them. Replicas are the most commonly found. They are made from around 440 steel give or take and can be honed for battle use. Authenticsare the ones you have to sell a kidney to be able to purches. Authentics are rare and are made by the Masters and are all custom jobs. Japan has the only two masters left and if they make a sword in Japan the Japanese government won't let the sword out of the country for it is declared a national treasure. I have spent the better part of my life studing Eishin-ryu Iaido. Japanese swordsmenship and have taught for few years now. I have had the honor and privalege to meet Master Koshen-san on of the two Japanese masters and puchesed a beautiful katana which he custom made for me for almost 10k in his US shop in California.

Nice to see you understand the difference, Sabotwulf, and very cool to hear you have an authentic katana. You obviously have spent a great deal of time with your swordsmanship. I'd need to hit the lottery to afford an authentic, so I'll stick with my replica (Dark Magic) for now.

I'd also have to feel very good about my abilities as a swordsman before I felt myself worthy of a true authentic katana, whether I could afford it or not though. I need a lot more practice and some time spent under serious instruction, but with everything I have going, I'd need to hit the lottery just to have the time to fit it all into my daily schedule.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If you want an authentic katana, it's not going to run you very cheap.

www.nihonto.com...

But Goddamn are they beautiful.

DE

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firebird
Darn the creator of this topic i spent 4 hours last night looking at swords and stuff.
Ive decided when i get enough cash im buyin a Uber Pimp Katana. That is the best i want something like on the movie Kill Bill
But yea i found another sword also i wanna get. Anyone play the Final Fantasy Games??WEll i want Clouds sword from FFVII the Buster sword

Awsome Sword... It'd make Cloud proud.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Cloud's Buster Sword would be cool. And swords are nice, but if you want a wicked midevil weapon, look no further than the german Gutendag. Its a giant wooden hammer on a long pole and each face of the hammer has a giant spike sticking outta it. And it's name means GOOD DAY for #s sake...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
my fave has to be the straight sword its the only sword that can get into a draw with a katana

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I've got a very heavy Claymore and a copy of Charlemagne's 'Joyeux' sword - but my ultimate sword is a replica of Duncan MacLeod's katana from the Highlander series.

Its as sharp as a bastard and extremely well balanced considering it wasn't specially made for me.

Duncan Macleod Katana

And yes, I would kill for a Pictish sword (as mentioned in the story).

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I've always been into swords. I want to start taking classes in using the katana (but between gymnastics, taking martial arts, and teaching the same style its kinda hard) Regardless, I think it'd be great if we still fought with swords; and lived in a time that was still full of honor and chivalry.

I own a replica katana, and a replica ninja straightsword. I also have a few functional throwing knives and shuriken. I want to start a collection of swords of all kinds. The next sword I'm getting is a katana, after that I want to get a couple LOTR replicas.

I've always thought that if the NWO stuff actually happen I'd attempt to live it out in secret and stealth like a new age ninja (no I'm not one of those crazy "real ultimate power" wannabes) I just seriously think it'd be a good idea to live in stealth and if I ever had to fight back it would be good to use stealth and silent weapons. Anyone else ever think about living after the NWO using swords as weapons?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Englishman
It would kick ass if battles were fought with swords, they would require real soldiers instead of ones that hide far away in shoot like cowards. Also the govenment wouldnt have to spend so much money
. My fave sword is the Roman Short swordwww.myarmoury.com...

As a "fake" soldier I would like to see how brave you were under fire.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I actually own many swords
I have a tanto/wakasaki(sp?)/katana set, a naganata, a nodachi, a spanish rapier (just looks really cool, I don't really know how to use it--yet.) another katana, and a WWII katana my grandpa once removed removed from a japanese officer back in the day. Then, of ourse, I have 4 sais, 3 sets of nunchucks, a staff, and 2 shinai.

Good times, what with the training and all

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I love swords. I have a katana, a wakazashi, a tanto, a naginata, two machetes, a replica sword from the movie Gladiator, and a replica of Michael the Archangels sword. By the way, Cloud's Buster Sword would be sweet. If anyone knows where to get one, hopefully cheap, AIM me at imanoldgrandma. and no, i am not really an old grandma.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
no honor is shooting wars today? i dont think so. and you have to be trained to use the rifel. and jackass with half a brain can shoot a gun, but only a soilder or a professional can hit something.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
If you want an authentic katana, it's not going to run you very cheap.

www.nihonto.com...

But Goddamn are they beautiful.

DE

Christ! i can get a mauser kar 98 from WWII for 10 times less than those. no kidding.

mauser 375
katana 3000+

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I don't think swords should replace guns because my opinion is that swords glorify killing by making long drawn out bloody battles. I feel that if you must fight do it only for survival and in that case a gun is usually more practical.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
no honor is shooting wars today? i dont think so. and you have to be trained to use the rifel. and jackass with half a brain can shoot a gun, but only a soilder or a professional can hit something.
I totally agree. Besides there is a lot more to a gun than just pointing and shooting, I know this cause I know people who have been in WWII and people who have a great deal of rifle experiance. And they don't go playing with guns or fighting in honor duels. A duel is just a game and I would never risk my life for a little game.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a duel is not a game im afriad there have been duels with guns
also please do not say it takes a real soldeir to hit a target because i am by no means a soldier but i can hit a target with a rifle so i have just blown ur theory out of the water although i can see where ur coming from
it takes a real soldier to know how to PROPERLY use a rifle
i know that swords would prolong wars BUT it would teach people to respect weapons
sword bearers tend to be people who respect and know the falue of life and know what it means to take 1

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
a duel is not a game im afriad there have been duels with guns
also please do not say it takes a real soldeir to hit a target because i am by no means a soldier but i can hit a target with a rifle so i have just blown ur theory out of the water although i can see where ur coming from
it takes a real soldier to know how to PROPERLY use a rifle
i know that swords would prolong wars BUT it would teach people to respect weapons
sword bearers tend to be people who respect and know the falue of life and know what it means to take 1

Its easy to hit a target try doing it with 40-50 people shooting at you, bombs going off, people screaming and dieing all around you.

I respect a good sniper a hell of a lot better than a swordsman

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
oh really i regard them the same
they both go through just the same amount of vigerous training
also it would e rather easy to hit a target with that stuff going on around soldeirs arnt told U must hit a target with every shot thier trained to get as many shots at the enemy
most snipers i have met do not get trained to fire with bombs blowing up around them they tend to sit and camp

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   

also it would e rather easy to hit a target with that stuff going on around

Its hard to just keep form #ting on yourself with that going on around you.

90% of the people are too scared to even try to pick a target most if they shot at all will just shot in the general direction of the enemy.

Although the stats are getting higher with the better training but throughout most wars and most of history most soldiers never fired ONE shot in combat they found guns in Civil war battle fields that had been loaded several times and never shot. The men would just stand there and go through the motions.

From what I have seen a handful of men will rack up almost all the kills in a unit.

You are semi right about the snipers though it depends on the target and your mission at the time. Sometimes instead of camping you have to get close to the target and might spend hours crawling through bruch or even pretty much open ground to get your shot, and even when you are "camping" after a couple shots you have to move or they will get your ass. Again it depends on the target or mission.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Firstly, I am not denigrating anyone with the guts to go out in the middle of a battle. My own grandfather was wounded at Alamein and from his and others stories, war is hell.

However, just blasting away with an SA80 or whatever isn't the same as taking on the enemy one-on-one. Current warfare takes the soldier away from the enemy. Yes, soldiers today kill and are killed, but how many of them actually look their enemy in the eyes. Very few I assume - unless they're Special Forces.

Now take that same soldier and give him and the enemy swords and you have a desperate fight for life one-on-one. You will see the human being in front of you and you will have to either kill him or die yourself.

Ask yourself - all of you, Military and non-military alike - Can you fight like that ? Can you kill in that situation ?

Swords just seem to have more 'honour' attached to them, no matter the skill of the sniper or the courage of the current military.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Pisky]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join