It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swords

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
does anyone own a sword? or swords? i personally own a cheap replica (by cheap, i mean 70 bucks, whereas the official one is 295.) of glamdring, that being the sword of gandalf in the lotr. always had an intrest in swords. i feel that if you wield a blade, then if it comes down to the point that a life must be taken, there is a measure of skill and honour in the fact. rather today, its point and shoot. little skill. no honour. opinions? and if you have any blades, please post pictures!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I have always wanted this sword. It's awesome.
Kurgan's Sword
I have always wished that I could have lived in the days where problems and disputes were settled with steel.
Yes, I know the living condition were terrible and life expectancy was horribly short, but still I dream.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away.....

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You can get swords on eBay for about $10 USA.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
got a nice katana which was given to me as a gift several years ago by a friend, along with a couple of crude swords I use for practise

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I too want to live in a world where there is no guns or ballastic missles. We fight with our hands and swords and low level weapons like the Hoplites.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
yes you can get swords on ebay for 10. but they are worth about 2, and last about that long. 2 minutes. i want to invest in a quality blade, one that i could actually cut something with, and not worry about chipping, bending, or breaking. that kind of a blade costs money, which i dont have,

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have a ninja ken, a few knives, a few shuriken, and a cyclone. I'll post images as soon as I get some.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
I have always wished that I could have lived in the days where problems and disputes were settled with steel.
Yes, I know the living condition were terrible and life expectancy was horribly short, but still I dream.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away.....

i have always felt that same way. seems more noble than using guns.

i own a classic samurai sword, bought it during my year of martial arts. i still practice with it every once in a while.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
We always want the things we don't have, if we were living in that time period we might want to have machines to help us with our jobs.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I made a sword once. I did not forge my own blade though. I bought a blade with a threaded tang from Atlanta Cutlery and some cocobolo wood for the handle and a chunka brass for the hilt then I shaped everything and soldered and epoxied and bolted it together, then sanded and finished it. ........ Then some ass hole stole it during a party my room mate had along with my copy of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. BASTIDS!!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Then some ass hole stole it during a party my room mate had along with my copy of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. BASTIDS!!

Sounds like tha bastich was planning a freaky party of his own if you ask me. Sounded like a cool sword.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
gg,

sorry for your loss man!

maybe that could become a profitable hobby for you in future?

swords on ebay eh....?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
gg,

sorry for your loss man!

maybe that could become a profitable hobby for you in future?

swords on ebay eh....?

agree with THENEO there. if you're good at making them, you could make yourself some decent cash. Some Swords go for a lot of money these days.

I've always wanted a genuine samurai sword, crafted by a japanese master swordsmith, but there aren't many japanese master swordsmiths here in Glasgow

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I own a cheap ninja-to and a pair of sais. I'm planning to invest in a slightly better katana. Had I more money (as a university student, I can barely afford to eat as is), I'd try to get a decent one, and maybe some armor. There's a certain...beauty to sword. It's in explicable. When you're holding a sword, listening to it cut through the air- it's poetry. Simply poetry. The blade becomes an extention of yourself. I don't think there's any better feeling than to have a sword in your hand.

DE

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I thought Arwens sword was pretty cool. There's a mall here 'Metrotown' those of you in the Vancouver area may have been there before. It's a medeival type shop with many interesting items from swords to armour to furnishings. Very nice there.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   

yep, it's a lovely sword

[Edited on 22/11/03 by funlovincriminal]

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What is amazing is when you have a blade, sword, or knife, and you are sharpening it on a diamond stone you can tell by the way the metal sings whether or not it is made of good steel. A lot of japanese swords were ruined when they were captured by American GI's in ww2 and brought home and sharpened on the garage electric grinding wheel. There used to be a guy in Colorado Springs who made it his mission to find and return sacred swords to the Japanese.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
I own a cheap ninja-to and a pair of sais. I'm planning to invest in a slightly better katana. Had I more money (as a university student, I can barely afford to eat as is), I'd try to get a decent one, and maybe some armor. There's a certain...beauty to sword. It's in explicable. When you're holding a sword, listening to it cut through the air- it's poetry. Simply poetry. The blade becomes an extention of yourself. I don't think there's any better feeling than to have a sword in your hand.

DE

Agree with you - it's a great feeling, handling a well made sword. I've got Sai Daggers as well - love them. Also got Tonfa, Nunchaku(few different pairs) Kali sticks (tiger cane and acrylic), , Butterfly Knives, Bo, Jo, Bokken and some Shuriken.

Living in a city like Glasgow, they're essential survival tools lol!!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:47 PM
link   
bugei.com...

www.nihonto.com...

In simplicity, there is beauty. I want one of these swords -or both- or maybe a naginata ...even a yari would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm dirt-poor and eating Chunky soup directly out of the can.

DE

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
In simplicity, there is beauty. I want one of these swords -or both- or maybe a naginata ...even a yari would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm dirt-poor and eating Chunky soup directly out of the can.

DE

lmao! - reminds me of my student days

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join