It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glow in the dark fish for your aquarium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A little tropical fish that glows fluorescent red will be the first genetically engineered pet, a Texas-based company has said.
The zebra fish were originally developed to detect environmental toxins, but Alan Blake and colleagues at Yorktown Technologies, L.P. licensed them to sell as pets.

www.reuters.co.uk...

This should be interesting. I'll bet they sell a lot of them.
Wonders how hardy they will be? It seems like every time they mess with mother nature......something goes wrong

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Genetical engineering not been used for any good use, start of a trend perhaps ? But still it looks kinda cool

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm not so sure that I'm down with that.

I have 4 zebra danios in my 55-gallon. They're really cool fish! I've only had the aquarium for a few months. I love it! I have a total of 5 gouramis, 4 zebra danios and 4 different kinds of snails. I'm looking into getting better lighting so that I can have a planted tank.
I'll eventually post a pic or two.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hope these fish don't have a genetic flaw where they grow enormously or eat everything else or...

just kidding but who knows?

fish are cool though, always wondered it they knew they were in an aquarium though?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I will buy one if they ever start selling them...sounds cool..I wonder how much they will cost..probably alot.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
My bet is that they will sell, but not all that well.

Serious aquarium people won't touch them. Aquariums are too expensive a hobby not to be serious about.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I wonder if they can make some glow in the dark plants that you could put in your fish tank..

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I will buy one if they ever start selling them...sounds cool..I wonder how much they will cost..probably alot.

SirCyco I believe they will only cost $5.00 per fish. Not bad if they don't belly-up right away.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
$5.00!! damn thats great..Im gonna get a whole school of them..I just wish they would make different kinds of glowing fish....some piranhas would be cool..

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That's really interesting, too bad there isn't a photo of the fish. I love fish, I've got 6 pirhanas, and used to have a lot of really beautiful tropical fish.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Pretty cool. I will take 100.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here's a couple links I found to cool pics of the glow-fish. The first link says the scientist that engineered them made a red/green one....Christmas presents anyone?

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I dunno, genetically altered fish as pets? It won't take too long for them to learn to breath air, grow giant and start smashing cities. I mean, do we really need to screw with nature that much?

new topics

top topics

join