It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member control mods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Another one of my ideas most likely to get ignored.

Alright, so we have mods to keep order in the forums, but what happens if a member really gets out of hand (not referring to anyone specific)? We could warn by post, U2U, temp ban, but most likely the member will retaliate and make himself a candidate for a permament ban. We have lost a some very good posters in situations like this.

So, I'm proposing a idea for mods that could talk with the member by U2U when they're in a temp posting ban. I know that this already happens, but I think that mods that are good at solving problems and have alot of free time should do this. That way, we can talk the member back towards sanity.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
But this is assuming that the mod will want to spend hours sending messages back and forth to some loony, in the hope that the loony will see the light and behave in the future.

I can't see that happening, personally.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
But this is assuming that the mod will want to spend hours sending messages back and forth to some loony, in the hope that the loony will see the light and behave in the future.

I can't see that happening, personally.

We have to be sure that the mod is capable and willing to handle the situation. If we get a mod that's qualified enough to do so, then I guess it would be possible.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This pretty much already happens. Its common practice to u2u a member if they are getting disciplined. (Or often before any real disciplinary action is necessary). Personally I find that 80%+ of the time a quick u2u is all that is required, with the member generally accepting the advice in a mature manner. That is always pleasing to see.

If you are referring to the slightly more out there cases we have on the board. It is difficult to tell how many might truly benefit from any sort of assistance. Nor would it be easy to find a mod who has the time to be a board psychiatrist

Most of the people who have been permabanned from the board (not that many really, and most have returned under different names). Have had this happen because they continued to go outside the boundaries of acceptable behaviour repeatedly, and intentionally. whether through ignorance or ego issues, or just being immature, none of which is likely to be able to be solved by talking to a mod from the board.

[Edited on 22-11-2003 by Kano]

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
One other thing..

Don't you think everyone is paranoid enough without having Member Control Mods roaming the board?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Kano is 100% right.

If any member sees one of their friends getting out of hand then by all means U2U them.Staff don't want to discipline members.It is a last step.
You don't need a special status/powers to help a friend in this way.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Interesting.

From a proposal for Member Control Mods comes a proposal for Member Control Members.

Why can't members control themselves? Is there a reason that any member might want to deliberately flaunt their abuse of the terms and conditions of a very positive, rapidly growing community and message board? Sociopaths in training?

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I believe that the mods and staff already are doing what you are proposing, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I see no reason why a member of a board such as ATS would want to carry on to to the point of being banned when all that needs to be done is
something like communication, thats just my take anyway.

top topics

join