It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going after Alaskan Oil...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I hope I'm putting this in the right place. Anyway, an article on cnn.com:

Bush to open 8.8 million Alaskan acres to drilling
Thursday, November 20, 2003 Posted: 9:45 PM EST (0245 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration intends to open 8.8 million acres of Alaska's North Slope to oil and gas development, including areas considered environmentally sensitive.

www.cnn.com...

I'm sure we all knew this was going to happen? Good Idea? Necessary evil? It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I'm not to sure I like the idea of destryoing some sensitive enviromental areas for oil.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
They just passed a bill not too long ago that opens up millions of acres to gas and oil drilling all over the country...mostly in protected National Forests. They are about to start drilling here in the Rocky Mountains soon. Damn them!!

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but wasn't there an attempt of doing this in the past? I think it was on the nightly news a couple years ago

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon
I hope I'm putting this in the right place. Anyway, an article on cnn.com:

Bush to open 8.8 million Alaskan acres to drilling
Thursday, November 20, 2003 Posted: 9:45 PM EST (0245 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Bush administration intends to open 8.8 million acres of Alaska's North Slope to oil and gas development, including areas considered environmentally sensitive.

www.cnn.com...

I'm sure we all knew this was going to happen? Good Idea? Necessary evil? It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I'm not to sure I like the idea of destryoing some sensitive enviromental areas for oil.

A very GOOD idea cause we will not be DEPENDENT on no some other arabic countries for oil.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

Thats why I called it a necessary evil. They tried to do it before but the backlash was overwhelming I guess. I don't understand why we arent trying to get away from our dependcy on oil. We should really be focusing on alternative energy solutions right now.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Thats why I called it a necessary evil. They tried to do it before but the backlash was overwhelming I guess. I don't understand why we arent trying to get away from our dependcy on oil. We should really be focusing on alternative energy solutions right now.

we should be focused on alternative energy solutions but that doesnt mean we should just stay on buying oil from other countries!

Think about if saudi arabia goes against US and doesnt sell anymore oil. and so do other countries that sell oil to US.

What would you do with out oil?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You're missing my point. I think we have to do it. I just don't like it. I don't like the fact that we are so dependent on this stuff that we have to destroy millions of acres of land to get it. a necessary evil. Im a hypocrite i know! I use gas yes, I wish there was another way, but right now there isn't. So this will get us out from under the thumb of the people hording their oil. I don't have to be happy about destroying the land though.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
I could be wrong, but wasn't there an attempt of doing this in the past? I think it was on the nightly news a couple years ago

When he first goT elected there was a petition going around about that. I signed a petition that was against that #.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You're missing my point. I think we have to do it. I just don't like it. I don't like the fact that we are so dependent on this stuff that we have to destroy millions of acres of land to get it. a necessary evil. Im a hypocrite i know! I use gas yes, I wish there was another way, but right now there isn't. So this will get us out from under the thumb of the people hording their oil. I don't have to be happy about destroying the land though.

Sorry for getting you wrong.

I also dont want to waste millions of acres of land for

this

but it is needed so i guess it has to be done.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   
bush just want contol of as much oil he can before
its all gone , iraq oil wasant as much as thay thought
so without starting a nother war right now/ alasca oil
my thought

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Prudehoe Bay in Alaska is a lot less destroyed than many environmentalists would have you believe. What makes critics so certain that the entire refuge is catastrophically hurt by drilling and exploration? The only reason the Alaskan pipeline was built over ground and in the migratory path of caribou is because environmentalists were worried that the pipe may melt permafrost. The arguments against oil exploration and production in Alaska can be easily rebuttled.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Right now oil reserves mean power for a country. I imagine the US will use up foreign oil long before it uses up it's own.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Smirkly you might be right. Alaska could be used to bulk up the strategic oil reserve but you wont see any benefit at the gas pump. Its a long time before we use up the oil reserves but you are definately right.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i live here and belive me there is to much saved state land,that even the people that live here can even get on, right now here in the local news there is a family that lives on state land ,has to go to court to get a permit t use the road to get to there house that they have lived on for years and now that cant even get to their house without a permit. that really sucks i love alaska its been my home for many years but the people here do need some jobs and help here

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapes
i live here and belive me there is to much saved state land,that even the people that live here can even get on, right now here in the local news there is a family that lives on state land ,has to go to court to get a permit t use the road to get to there house that they have lived on for years and now that cant even get to their house without a permit. that really sucks i love alaska its been my home for many years but the people here do need some jobs and help here

Isnt the BLM supposed to be returning land to the people. It seems I read that this is an initiative to release the land to the public?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Right now oil reserves mean power for a country. I imagine the US will use up foreign oil long before it uses up it's own.

isnt it a smart thing to use up other oil before your oil?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 12:17 AM
link   

isnt it a smart thing to use up other oil before your oil?

Thats what I was suggesting.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Thats what I was suggesting.

if you are suggesting that use other oil before your oil then i 100% agree with you.

top topics

join