It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces - who's the best?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
RAINBOW (Rainbow Six is the name of the book and it refers to John Clark, the 'Six' (commander, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) of RAINBOW - just a pet peeve
) would be the best if it existed, but alas...

I would have to say (in order):
SAS
Spetznaz
SEALs

But they're all quite good (and amazing), so it isn't really fair to label one as the best.

yuor right about the book.

i think the SAS, Marine Force Recon, SEALs, and Spetnaz shold square off aginst one another in a compotition of some sort. that would be sweet and also determin whos the best

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
is there anything like rainbow six in the real world
also if you say the navy seals are the best then why oh why do the sas/sbs always beat you @ war games
no offence but you obvisioly havnt seen the training regime for the sas/sbs or the fact that you are under more observation onoce you are part of the sas/sbs
also you hear lots of stories of people being navyseals but do u ever hear about any sas/sbs people NO because if they dont tlk about being in the sas/sbs
the gurkas,seals,spetnaz are pretty scary but the sas/sbs are better

What you hear about the United States Navy SEAL's is not even a Third of what they really do, or are capable of. Sometimes when I watch a show on them, it frustrates me, because I know of how much more they actually do. I am not here to say, oh the Navy SEAL's would beat the SAS, I am simply saying there is much kept secret about them. Instead of competing them against eachother, we obviously do what's best in a real war times scenario, we team them up together.

[Edited on 2-1-2004 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
do any of you really know or have an idea of what you are talking about. Perhaps you should do some research before you post a bunch of nonsence on this site

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
In the Special Forces Olympics held in Alaska in 96 Spetznas beet EVERYONE in ALL competitions exept weightlifting

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I drink with 2 ex-SAS guy's in my local pub... and while they don't really like to talk about their time in the service... what they have told me leaves me in no doubt that they are the best

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Like so many people have said, every different one has a function....but just because the spetznaz are dumb enough to kill each other in basic doesnt make them good at their job. If the thread was "who has the hardest group of apes" Then sure. If i ever find myself in a situation where i need a gargantuan monkey to "shoot through me to kill a terrorist" ill call up spetznas. But if i think alot of people are totally forgetting the tactical aspect of these special forces. Its not whos the hardest of the hard but whos the smartest....what group can pull off a mission flawlessly, and if not flawlessy then adapting quickly to achieve a positive outcome. Im partial to the SEALS just because i know more about them, but hanging out with SAS would be cool just so you could pretend you were James Bond.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
spetnaz are highly trained BTW they are not some "brutes" as holywood would show them.
they are just as capable as the SEALS and the SAS/SBS.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Its hard to say which sof is the best. I prerfer the danish JaegerCorps which tasks is:

LRS
Strategical Recon (SR)
Direct Action (DA)
Combat SAR (CSAR)
CQB / CT / AT

ops range: 0-1000 km

ops duration: ?

Insertion:

Paracute (HALO/HAHO)
Helicopter
Small Boats
Combatswimmer/SCUBA
Foot-patrol
Skiin

www.specialoperations.com...

"The JaegerKorpset handles all CT duties for Denmark. The unit strength is approximately 70-80 men and is based at Aalborg Air Base. All members are skilled in patrolling, demolitions, parachuting, climbing, and combat swimming.."

www.specwarnet.net...

"Denmark's Jaegerkorpset is responsible for much of the Counter-Terrorist activities within Denmark. Jaegerkorpset is an elite Ranger Element within the Danish Army. The Danes are very careful about security, so little information about their Counter-Terrorist teams has been released. "

www.specialoperations.com...

"The Jaegers are stationed at Air Station Aalborg in Northern Jutland and work very closely with British and German SOF. Lacking dedicated Royal Danish Air Force helicopter support, the Jaegers often travel on British and German helicopters. Jeager weapons include the MP-5SD submachinegun, MP-53 (5.56-mm version of the MP-5), HK PSG-1 7.62 sniper rifle, and HK 13E machinegun. All Jaegers are qualified in high-altitude high-opening (HAHO) insertions, giving them the ability to drift up to 100 km over hostile borders. One-week training sessions are conducted in this technique three to four times a year."

Active in: Afghanistan and Iraq

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I find it funny hearing a lot of you talk about who is the best special operating force. Perhaps some of you should pick up a book or two and read up before typing a bunch on nonsense!!

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It is not practical to simply say "well this SF is the best." Different SF units have different responsibilities and should only be judged by how well they carry out that mission. Ex- Rangers and SEALS have two totally different missions as Rangers are for quick assaults such as airfield seizure and SEALS are small unit covert operators such as sabotaging a naval vessel. As far as comparing SF between countries (Ex-SEALS vs. SAS), they are both world-class SF units and they often work side by side, if one was significantly better than the other than the collaborative effort would not be possible and they would not allow it to occur as the weaker unit would slow down the more elite unit. And the argument that U.S. SF is only good because of the technological edge, I would like to see one of you geeks find a way to make BUD/s easier through technolically or if technology can enhance someones balls to give them the courage to make a HALO jump. Technology does not make American SF good, it makes them better, and they are already among the best of the best if not the best when compared to units with the same mission. BTW, the reason why the U.S. won the Cold War was through better technology and more $$$, does that mean that the Soviet Union was stronger because they had less money and technology???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by usarmykeith
I find it funny hearing a lot of you talk about who is the best special operating force. Perhaps some of you should pick up a book or two and read up before typing a bunch on nonsense!!

mabye you should too if you class the RM as a SF or what ever you call it.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by beretboy22
does that mean that the Soviet Union was stronger because they had less money and technology???

technically it allowed them to be more practical than US troops. they where taught to work with nothing and get the same level of performance as the SEALS or delta.

SKD

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Training wise, SASR guys are pretty well trained.

"Unlike the hills of the Brecon Beacons, made famous for their foul weather and synonymous with the final phase of testing for British S.A.S hopefuls, these are mountains. Real life, bigger than Ben Hur, mountains.

What you do not know at this point is that over the next five days you will be expected to cover approximately one hundred and seventy kilometres, crossing at least four mountain peaks, while carrying a full pack and personal kit which can weigh anything up to approximately eighty kilos. That is an average of approximately thirty four kilometres a day, of which at least half will be up hill through some of the steepest, roughest mountain terrain in Australia, carrying what would amount to the equivalent weight of the average Australian adult male on your back. "

That finalises selection for the SASR. The weight of the pack is crazy.

One trooper got a medal for killing 22 Iraqis and blowing up two vehicles with missiles. He took out a mortar with one shot from his rifle.

According to a guy who used to be in the regiment, well he thinks the Israeli forces are good for their region and what they do, but nothing special in the world scale.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
the best is the one that completes his/her objective and returns home with honor and good will that he/she has done what was asked of them with the training they received to complete whatever mission assigned,,,bless them all,,,and on a more personal side note,,if any of you are current/ex us military,,thanks for the job you are doing or have done,,and for keeping the red,white,and blue flying high,,,you guys/gals are the best,,bless you all,,p.s. hey marines!! do you have to blow up everthing you see cant you just drive around!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I laugh every time people say the Spetsnaz are so elite. I think there is a complete lack of knowlege of most people here. The Spetznaz would be the equivalent of US Army Rangers at best. THey stuff up most of their hostage rescue work and in Afghanistan they had their arse handed to them by the Muj on plenty of occasions. I believe a Spetznaz battalion was wiped out.

So basically people should actually read a book not some BS internet site which doesn't know what they're talking about.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of the special forces olypics, U.S. seals died trying to do so many rescuse and operations also 1. PANAMA 4 Seals killed in thier rubber boat going up a river in Panama city 1989, U.S. Seals broke thier kneck trying to have a sea landing during Grenada invation 1983, U.S. seals killed in Granada doing airport missions, US. Seals killed in Afraghan in 2001 Chinhook shot out of sky by RPG, I can go on and on, P.S. can you provide Russian/American links that show Muj whipping Spetznas?, how many Russian soilders were lost in Afgah war?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
Have you ever heard of the special forces olypics, U.S. seals died trying to do so many rescuse and operations also 1. PANAMA 4 Seals killed in thier rubber boat going up a river in Panama city 1989, U.S. Seals broke thier kneck trying to have a sea landing during Grenada invation 1983, U.S. seals killed in Granada doing airport missions, US. Seals killed in Afraghan in 2001 Chinhook shot out of sky by RPG, I can go on and on, P.S. can you provide Russian/American links that show Muj whipping Spetznas?, how many Russian soilders were lost in Afgah war?

SO what are you talking about - every SF loses men so what. The US SEALS ( as you have singled them out ) have seen much more combat than the Spetznaz therfore their casulaties would be higher. And no you can't go on and on as you would have

As for posting links, I read books not some BS on a website.

You lost 15 000 soldiers in Afghanistan, or about 15% of your forces in country.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
SO do I pal Spetznas nor Soviet soilders didn't loos in Afgahn.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
SO do I pal Spetznas nor Soviet soilders didn't loos in Afgahn.

Well, try some with some words, picture books don't count.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAH I Like that One.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join