It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces - who's the best?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
"The russian Spetznantz may have the toughest training but theve failed on numerous occasions like when terriosts took over the theatre in Moscow, they gassed half the hostages. "

Failed on numerous occasions?! They almost never fail. The only times they do fail is when all team members die, otherwise there is no fail to them.

Davedarave do some research before u talk out of ur ass. The 100 out of about 950 in that theater died due to poor emergency help. They could have all been saved but there were literally like 7 emergency vehicles available at a time. One of the main roads or bridges were closed or something, it was like a bad nightmare. All countries officials, including Bush, admitted that it was a successful storm. Go Alpha team! Spetznaz all the way, do some research ppl. I did some research on SAS too and gotta admit they are also respectable.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
if the seals are the best then why are the royal marines at the same fitness and there are 6000 of them and theres only wot less than 300 seals the seal training is nothing compared to the sbs/sas or spetnaz training (spetnaz are quit worryingly scary ) to prove my point royal marines had to wait on us marines to catch up with them

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have to agree. I live near a Royal marine base and regularly hear americans (who claim to be navy seals) complaining about the hard time they are getting here.....we have to carry to much, run to far, the times are impossible, it's too cold etc. And the royal marines are not our elite force.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i know there not the very best like sas/sbs but they are an elite fighting force better than any i know but then wht would i know

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It is somewhat of an unfair question. I must agree with the above poster, each has a specialty due both to geography(were they are based) and the terrain. Of course all cross train in different locals but home court would always be more comfortable. Take German troopers and put them in the outback with the Australian SAS and while the heart of the troopers is not in doubt the outcome will eventually favour the home team all things being equal.

The only true measure would be the shared skills such as urban and aircraft hostage rescue. I for one would not want to be on the other side of the door from any of them once they had decided to assault.

Most modern Special Operations Teams owe their pedigree to two British WWII establishments; the SAS and SOE. The acceptance courses were based on their models and modified to suit both national temperment and cultural differences of the nations in question. Most if not all of the first batch of American OSS operators went to either schools in Britain or at Camp X in Canada. They established their own schools once they had enough trained staff.

Each has it's strengths and each has it's weaknesses but the general skills are of a high level across the board. These are all highly committed, highly trained individulals:weapons as it were. And as with any weapon it is always a question of how it is employed that effects the outcome. It would almost be a fairer question to ask who has the better "national/military command structure?"

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
i know there not the very best like sas/sbs but they are an elite fighting force better than any i know but then wht would i know

I'm sure you know more than me i only live near a base.........but if the marines are an elite force I'd hate to see the regular squddies!!

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
While i agree the aussie SAS is probably the best, based on training with the worlds best and utilising their knowledge and training, The aussies SAS are now recruiting directly from the public.
You can now join the SAS straight off the street. You still have to face the training, but they dont pick the best anymore. HOWEVER. I was talking to my father about joining, and he laughed and said that these guys arent always regarded as the brightest bulbs on the Xmas tree (my father served as a n engineer during vietnam, and was one of only 1500 odd people to pass OTU at the time). On one occasion, a group of SAS soldiers decided they would rob a business in Perth, Western Australia using their elite training and skills. They were however caught by the Police because althought they made an effective break, and a sucessful getaway, they left equipment like ladders and rope behind clearly labled "property of SAS".

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
all this talk of special forces is making me want to volunteer for special duties! sorry witsend, i know youll miss me, but i'll be carefull, and i'll be back!

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
just wonderin wht 2 special forces teams like grom and spetnaz as an exsample would work best togther ?

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
For hostage situation, SAS, Delta Force, water based, SEAL's, USMC Force Recon, SBS.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knowsstuff
all this talk of special forces is making me want to volunteer for special duties! sorry witsend, i know youll miss me, but i'll be carefull, and i'll be back!

Make up your mind............are you quitting and moving abroad or are you joining one of the special forces.

Either way, who will i drink with?????

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

"The russian Spetznantz may have the toughest training but theve failed on numerous occasions like when terriosts took over the theatre in Moscow, they gassed half the hostages. "

all speacial forces fail one or the other time.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
could u imagine all da special forces of da world fighting together against like 1 army that would be some scary **** ( i know it will never happen with the lang barrier and pol sit )

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
As a ex para I would have to say the sas though I dare say we the british people that is have secret regiments that we dont know about higher than the sas, I would also like to mention the gurkhas when they have to run up a mountain for selection they have a number painted on the bare back some have been known after failing to rub there number off by rubbing there back against rocks taking of a lot of skin as well thats dedication if a american was asked to do that they would probably file a lawsuit. I think that man for man britain has the greatest soldiers although places like NZ do breed nataural warriors but america has the technology but saying that anyone here heard of friendly fire

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The millitary people of my time that I have talked to say SAS. But my Grandfather (see other thread) said that the Ghurkas could achieve a goal without being seen, out prevent something just by announcing their presence.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well the argentines certainly thought better of fighting the gurkhas they would desert as soon as htey knew who they were up against and that aint propaganda thats a fact

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm probably biased a bit due to the fact that my father is a Retired Naval Captain, who served for 30 years, and commanded Inshore Undersea Warfare Group 2 as a Commodore, with Navy SEAL's under his command. I'd have to say that they are the best, due to their training, and style behind their attacks. They use stealth in it's ultimate form, and yes, they have a Hostage Rescue Team, Black Ops SEAL Team Six, the best of the best SEAL's. Two under the command of my father, as a matter of fact, formed the F.B.I's Hostage Rescue Team. No matter what, I still have just as much faith in the U.S. Army Rangers, Marine Recon, DELTA Force, Green Beret, and so on. I just believe that the U.S. Navy SEAL's are the best all around, and that they go through the most rigorous of training. They also use many weapons in ways that other specials forces groups do not. Regardless, Special Forces requires the ultimate in dedication, both physically and mentally, of just about any job on the face of the earth.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The best special forces are the ones you dont see hear and know about. thats why they are so special for me its

Spetz
GROM
IDF "Sayeret" -Isreal
SAS
US RECON

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
is there anything like rainbow six in the real world
also if you say the navy seals are the best then why oh why do the sas/sbs always beat you @ war games
no offence but you obvisioly havnt seen the training regime for the sas/sbs or the fact that you are under more observation onoce you are part of the sas/sbs
also you hear lots of stories of people being navyseals but do u ever hear about any sas/sbs people NO because if they dont tlk about being in the sas/sbs
the gurkas,seals,spetnaz are pretty scary but the sas/sbs are better

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
RAINBOW (Rainbow Six is the name of the book and it refers to John Clark, the 'Six' (commander, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) of RAINBOW - just a pet peeve
) would be the best if it existed, but alas...

I would have to say (in order):
SAS
Spetznaz
SEALs

But they're all quite good (and amazing), so it isn't really fair to label one as the best.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join