It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soviet Sunburn Missile Nulifies the US Navy Effectivness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by websuspect

This game is so sad. I wish everyone would take their ball and go home.

I agree. When you let the kiddies and their imaginations run wild on "who is better" and "who can take out who", you get all sorts of crazy scenarios.

Maybe one day they'll listen to those of us who are subject matter experts.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaBass

I agree. When you let the kiddies and their imaginations run wild on "who is better" and "who can take out who", you get all sorts of crazy scenarios.

I second that. A part of me wonders what would actually happen but I would never want to see nuke sunburn hit a carrier battle group. Imagine the losses but I think its more important to stress defensive uses for weapons. After all thats what they were meant for.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kobyoshimaru
Can't target what u can't see, at 9 feet u can't see these on RADAR, or its almost imposs, fire 200 sunburns at a carrier group and u WILL destroy it. If you can't see these missiles clearly on radar how will the laser target it? You could manually fire the laser(s) once you could see the missiles but at mach 2.9 or whatever if u can see three miles then you don't have much response time. As for anti missile missiles, how many scuds did patriot missiles stop....75% or somthing. I would not trust carrier protection to these as u only need one sunburn, if nuclear tipped, to get through.

Without carriers America would find air superiority a whole new ball game.

First at 3m off the deck at 1500 mph you better be firing them over a sea of glass! Any ground clutter or surface activity will cause the missle to fail.

But the most unsound part of you logic is this, with satelite survalance of ALL ships within range of a battle group how do you expext to launch these?
A6 armed with tomahawks or harpoons mid airrefuel range UNLIMTED! B52 midair refueled range UNLIMITED!

So that leave only sub launched missles S3 viking or p-3 orions negate the sub threat and well we all known about russian subs (kursk k-18 and these are just the PUBLIC failures)

Please short of an ICBM ...the carrier is SAFE

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
What is the range of the gatlin guns or searays?

If you launched even 2 sunburns about 15 or 30 seconds apart and detonated the first one before it got to the carrier the blast might not destroy the carrier but it would pretty much blind it and cause mass confusion, the second sunburn would then be free to fly through and take out the carrier.

very good point.....again u can't shoot what u can't see

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Lasers > Sunfire
USA OWNS ALL

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   

OK . . . . RADAR is not the only means of detection for a missile. Ever heard of ELINT? From your posts, it doesn't look like it. You are correct that 200 sunburns fired at a carrier group will most likely destroy it, but will this ever happen? No. Would a country use up 200 sunburns to try and take out a CBG? Probably not, 'cause that does not make any tactical sense.

I'm sorry but while 200 may be OTT even fifty would kill the carrier group. U say it makes no tactical sense.....it depends on how many they have.......if that carrier is threatening them and the enemy can destroy it without risking a person it makes PERFECT tactical sense.....its the same as lobbing cruise missiles at IRAQ or what ever. No commander would send a fleet of planes or ships to engage the carrier group and its forces if a fleet of missiles can be used (the missiles would have a better chance of success as well) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get the feeling that some here are sore about me saying this could defeat the US navy but it could.....look what happened with exocet missiles in the falklands and the UK did nearly everything poss to avoid them and they only had a few.....and that was ages ago.....tech is better now and more accurate.....so more lethal.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Umm.. Missles cant be identified? Cool, but either can the ship? Thats cool.

New Bush Super Carrier!
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   

OH YOU TWO - I proposed a point for discussion, Its not a game, if u don't like the topic the DON'T BLO*DY POST replies, this is not a tit for tat or a whose better contest...i don't care, i wanted to see what people though about somthing i had read, thats all. Your comments are the most childish in this thread, they offer little opinion bar one of u claiming to be an expert HA, and humm nothing else...................its one of the most usless replies i've had to anything i've posted.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Dont get mad, we are sharing out thoughts. Please, this thread is about USA and allies and how good they are. Dont flame, its only a opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
Lasers > Sunfire

huh
what lasers/sunfire?? wtf are you talking about now

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Do you know Math? Mathmatics? Arithmetic? That you learned in 3rd-4th grade? Wow, shows how smart people are who I am talking to..

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
Do you know Math? Mathmatics? Arithmetic? That you learned in 3rd-4th grade? Wow, shows how smart people are who I am talking to..

im not even going to bother responding to your stupid ass posts anymore

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
www.lowobservable.com...

www.kitsune.addr.com... sunburn threat eh? stealth carriers will be around eventually

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by namehere]

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I wont respond to something who dosnt know the Greater than and Less than signs.

"Illustrate or identify fractional parts of whole objects or set of objects and like fractions greater than one, and add and subtract like fractions with illustrations and symbols. "

www.piqua.k12.oh.us...

4th grade math???

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
www.kitsune.addr.com... sunburn threat eh? stealth carriers will be around eventually

you DO know that this is a roleplaying game website and all the military crap in there is made up, right?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza

Originally posted by namehere

you DO know that this is a roleplaying game website and all the military crap in there is made up, right?

loll yea but the idea is being explored, giving an example(hard to find real design pics of it).

[Edited on 18-12-2003 by namehere]

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kobyoshimaru

OH YOU TWO - I proposed a point for discussion, Its not a game, if u don't like the topic the DON'T BLO*DY POST replies, this is not a tit for tat or a whose better contest...i don't care, i wanted to see what people though about somthing i had read, thats all. Your comments are the most childish in this thread, they offer little opinion bar one of u claiming to be an expert HA, and humm nothing else...................its one of the most usless replies i've had to anything i've posted.

Go back and read my posts - you might learn something.

Everything I say is backed up by fact and years of experience, ok? If you can disprove anything I've said with the same go right ahead, but you can't - it's just not going to happen 'cause you have no knowledge or experience in this field.

My posts may be blunt because most people replying to this thread have limited experience in the area of ASMD. They only know what they've read on the net and elsewhere. BTW, if you believe everything you read on the 'net, then I have a bridge to sell you.

When you've sat in a missile envelope with targeting radars lighting you up and knowing that the fate of 300+ people sits in your hands if that missile is launched, or played hide and seek with a submarine from a hostile country, or many other events that I have personally been a part of, then you can criticize my expertise.

Until then, STFU.

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by SeaBass]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join