It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sun sheds it's skin and flips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 05:56 AM
link   
oddard Space Flight Center -- Research with the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) spacecraft has revealed the process that may implement the reversal in the direction of the Sun's magnetic field that is known to occur every 11 years.

This newly recognized factor in the Sun's magnetic flipping is the cumulative effect of more than a thousand huge eruptions called Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs). (The bright area at the bottom of Image 2 is an example of a CME.)

The CMEs blast billions of tons of electrified gas into space, carrying away the Sun's old magnetic field and allowing a new one with a flipped orientation to form. (Refer to Movie 1 for an example of this process.)

www.rednova.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 06:15 AM
link   
An article on space.com a while ago mentioned that in the last flip of the magnetic field of the sun, the flip did not complete, and the magnetic field of the sun is at a ninety degree angle to the position it normally would be in.

I can't find the link, though, I'll keep looking.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 02:48 AM
link   
For something that is supposed to be a regular event, eg. the sun reversing its magnetic poles every 11 years, I hadn't heard of this before?

Has anyone else heard of this or is this annother example of coverup?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I've never heard of it, seems interesting though... I think I might have to do some research on the matter.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It's just something you haven't heard of, Neo. There's been stuff around about this for awhile.

Remember, the sun is plasma, so it's not really a big deal for it to flip poles... unlike planets with magma cores.

top topics

join