It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! RFID was on my local news!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Okay...a few days ago on my Local news...they ran a repord on RFID! Some guy had it on his credit card...and he didn't know of it! I was shocked to see this! RFID...On the news...accual real mainstream news news!

I couldn't find A transcript...but I did find video...

kdka.com...
(look for "Who's Watching You? "RF-ID Chip" Raises Privacy Concerns")

Can you beleave this? And they show a pic of what they accualy look like!

I have seen them before...they where on some key chains on a rack in walmart...I didn't know what it accualy was...But I had a feeling that it was a chip....and when they showed what was on the guys card...I was shocked
! Lucky I didn't tuch it! Really lucky!

P.S And if some one could make a transcript of the news cast with out thier computer giveing them an "Illegal Function" and U2U it to me that would be great...since I was looking for one...

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by Curiosity]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well really its not a huge deal, yet

Walmart is testing the use of RFID devices to keep track of merchandise. These chips only transmit when in proximity to a transponder, and only then because the chip is only powered by the transponder's signal itself.. no batteries of course.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
ok so whats with all the paranoid stuff with this chip and why couldn't you touch it?

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by joshter]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiosity
Okay...a few days ago on my Local news...they ran a repord on RFID! Some guy had it on his credit card...and he didn't know of it! I was shocked to see this! RFID...On the news...accual real mainstream news news!

I couldn't find A transcript...but I did find video...

kdka.com...
(look for "Who's Watching You? "RF-ID Chip" Raises Privacy Concerns")

Can you beleave this? And they show a pic of what they accualy look like!

P.S. I have seen them before...they where on some key chains on a rack in walmart...I didn't know what they where until they showd what was on the guys card...I was shocked
! Lucky I didn't tuch it! Really lucky!

P.S.S And if some one could make a transcript of the news cast with out thier computer giveing them an "Illegal Function" and U2U it to me that would be great...since I was looking for one...

Whats the RFID?

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Radio Frequency Identification
www.aimglobal.org...

Basically small chips, with no batteries, that store data. Newer transponders, the devices that activate and read the chip, can even write data.

now touching them wont harm you or give away any secrets. That is plain silly.. seriously.

Now I noticed that the news story here is guilty of some sensationalizm. You have to think reasonably here.

The real worry is the mis-use of the information that is stored on the chips. The use of RFID chips varies with every business and institution. Really it can be used as a means for telemarketing and even spam.. but nothing has come up YET to warrent any mis-use.

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by MrRadicalEd]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   

...why couldn't you touch it?

Pictures....I read an artical somewhere (verry reliable underground news site) that they MIGHT take pictures...I am not sure if that is true or not...but I would just rather not tuch anything with a chip if they take pictures or not...I'm not risking it falling on my cloths or purse and having it track me for a few miles (I Live right behind a walmart for gosh sakes!) So thats why...

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
hahahaha

they take pictures? the chips themselves or the stores cameras? They are only powered by the transponder they pass under.. that isn't enough energy to power a camera that size.. do you know the actual size of an RFID chip?

They vary in size and shape, but I can assure you that as of currently if any retail store carries these chips, as they are expensive to impliment now in wide scale, that the princible of operation of these chips is to be activated not by on board battery, but the carrier wave from the transponder.

[EDIT: let me also add that retail stores will seek to use passive RFID chips in their stores because they are cost effective, and require such a small amount of power. There are self sustained chips, much larger, that are more expensive and do have a limited life span that is more suited for tracking and identifying bulk goods that are shipped for distribution]

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by MrRadicalEd]

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Rad Ed (can I call you that...it's a habit)...I said they MIGHT take pictures...I didn't say they did...But thanks for clearing that up...because I really didn't know if the writer was exaggerating on the subject or not...

And yes I know what size they are...the one I saw was really tiny! No bigger then this --> .

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Was it Minority Report where no matter where you went, scanners knew who you were and what you bought by scanning you're eyes? You walk past signs and they change depending on you're spending habits. This sounds kinda like the same thing. If I went to return something and they knew that I was there and what I had in my bag before I got to the cashier, that would just be too creepy.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
RFID cant take pictures but as RFID evolves to smart dust it will be able to collect data abd send it on to computers..

top topics

join