It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter bomb

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by l0vedim0

Antimatter and matter cancel each other out and release an amount of energy and neutrinos worth the combined mass of the matter and antimatter. The energy is in the form of photons, generally gamma rays.

This adds up fast because the going exchange rate between mass and energy is E=m*c^2. One kilogram of antimatter reacts with a kilogram of matter to produce about 180 petajoules of energy, roughly around 45 megatons of TNT worth. The energy released as neutrinos doesn't affect anything though because neutrinos don't strongly interact with stuff. Since somewhere up to half the energy released in antimatter annihilation is in the form of neutrinos, the explosive yield of anitmatter could be reasonably expected to be less than 180 petajoules.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ok, I've come across this thread and since it was started in 2003 (I'm a lil' late to the party hehe) I've skipped most of the posts, so forgive me if I repeat anything.

Have any of you read Dan Brown's 'Angels And Demons'?

You wouldn't need a detonator. You could use one, but it wouldn't be neccessary.

In the book, CERN have created three amounts of anti-matter, the largest being half a gram (if I've remembered correctly) and they are stored inside a vacuum within electro-magnetic containers, powered by strong purpose-built batteries. The batteries can keep the containers powered for 24hrs, after which the electro-magnet fails, the A-M touches the container and... well I'm sure you can guess what happens next.

Cyrus pointed out the technologies needed for containing A-M on the first page of this thread, so kudos to him

I'm not saying that CERN actually had A-M at the time of the book, I think it was released several years before the LHC (which was used to create the A-M) was even finished, but Dan Brown usually does a good job of describing new or secret technologies. That book caused me to take interest in the X-33, which again was apparently in use at the time, even though I don't think a prototype has even been built yet.

Anyhoo, that's my bit said
hope it was worth it lol.

Kyle

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Antimatter destroys matter when it touches it and it has different properties than matter so its unknown whether it would even be affected by an explosion. With current technology it is impossible to capture antimatter.

We have more dangerous things than anti-matter however. Particle Accelerators can generate black holes but are too big for battle field use but if it could be scaled down a black hole could probably be opened somewhere but since we've never done it before we don't know whether or not it would actually affect anything...

Lets just stick to good old world destroying nukes

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bowser
I think antimatter has antigravity properties as well, and they were trying to make it for airplanes, but haven't been able to yet.

incorrect. as anitmatter behaves in the exact same manor as normal matter with regards to the 4 funamental forces. otherwise antimatter would not exist at all. as the strong and weak nuclear forces would work in reverse and rip the aton into smaller constituent parts even than what is currently observed. antimatter has been created and does not exibit such behavior

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateheaven

a weapon is only as dangerous as the man holding it. antimatter could be the most abundant energy source the world has ever seen. more effective than neuclear fussion could ever be, dont blame the scientist, he just fashioned the stick, blame the person whos picked it up n started waving it

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 420MD

well please do some research on this feild as you clearly demonstrate lack of knowledge, even the will to read the rest of the replies to this thread as if you had you would have realised that you are incorrect, we can infact create and store anti matter.

as for black holes from particle accelerators. they are still purly hyperthetical, with absolutly no suporting evidence what so ever. if however they did observe a black hole you would find the following: given the energy input into creating the black hole. the desity and mass of such a hole and the hawking radiation emission, the hole would be in existance for less than 1 millionth of a second or so, not nearly enough time to do any damage to anything.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Some facts that everyone's NOT been paying attention to:

1. One teaspoon of A-M can destroy a CITY, not the WORLD.

2. To manufacture said A-M, the world would go bankrupt.

3. Not even the idiots with the nukes would want an A-M device. ONE of these could vaporize an entire STATE.

4. When detonating, A-M gives off our friends the Gamma-rays, meaning:
__
/ \ \
│ │

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have to wonder if the guys who develop these weapons can sleep at night knowing what they are doing? I mean hell Oppenhimer and Einstein felt like # once they realized what they had done, so if anti-matter weapons would make nukes look like firecrackers, then these men and women should pray to their respective gods for forgiveness for what they have done.

not to be even more off topic ,but did you ever think that's it's all these old fool's who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, that are making these bombs and sending our young men and women to DIE in their stupi wars

And I think they can already make anti-matter in small amounts, but what about the good ole Dooms Day Bomb, the Colbalt Bomb, they could dust one of those off and do a dandy job of it..

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Cobalt salted nuclear bombs would certainly be a far more effective doomsday weapon than antimatter bombs. Antimatter bombs just explode. Enough enhanced radiation bombs optimized for spreading medium half-life radioactive particles would do a much better job of ruining the lives of everyone who lives above ground.

Each bomb would have an effect similar to the Chernobyl disaster, making an area a couple dozen km across uninhabitable for decades and sending radioactive particles into the atmosphere that will travel hundreds of miles and have some level of effect on the health of everyone downwind.

Compared to the relatively clean ~30 megaton blast you could expect from a kilogram antimatter, and that even a couple thousand cobalt bombs would be literally billions or more times cheaper than a single kilogram of antimatter to make, I'd say that the choice for man-made apocalypse is still definitely nuclear.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, unless the P.T.B. (You know, from the 404 blast page) get wind of this, I agree with you.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join