It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If we every harness antimatter, could it be used to create a destructive bomb?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   
some physicist with a half dozen Ph.Ds might be able to tell you, but i can offer something much better. We DONT need another fricken bomb! Nor another deadly virus, or gut wrenching chemical. Its all just a race of stupidity to see who can blow themselves up first.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It could be used as a destructive bomb but think of this, any contact with any type of matter would set the bomb off, meaning even the bomb casing. It would be foolish, to say the least, to think of using it as a widescale weapon of war. It would make an H bomb look like a piker

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Their isnt really a useful way it could be deployed so to speak, unless a generator for anti matter was created (large scale model obviously). I agree with alternateheaven though that whats the point in making bigger and more powerful bombs... its only going to end up back where we started..sticks and stones

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think antimatter has antigravity properties as well, and they were trying to make it for airplanes, but haven't been able to yet.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
ya but antimatter could also seriously screw up the magnetic field and a whole bunch of other things this would mean a big boom boom

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
As if they need such things....Here's a clip talking about they types of bombs they already have out there.....And this is the old stuff!!

The earliest bombs had used nuclear fission, splitting heavy atoms to release energy. Later bombs used nuclear fusion, which fused hydrogen atoms to release energy. Both designs produced tremendous blasts that could level whole cities, and left them uninhabitable for long periods because of lingering radiation.

Cohen's neutron bomb would use nuclear fusion, but in a different way. The detonation of a neutron bomb would still produce an explosion, but one much smaller than a standard nuclear weapon's. The main effect of a neutron bomb would be the release of high-energy neutrons that would take lives far beyond the blast area. The result: fewer buildings, cars, tanks, roads, highways and other structures destroyed.

And unlike standard nuclear bombs that leave long-term contamination of the soil and infrastructure, the neutron radiation quickly dissipates after the explosion.

For Cohen, the neutron bomb is the ultimate sane weapon. It kills humans, or as he puts it "the bad guys," but doesn't produce tremendous collateral damage on civilian populations and the infrastructure a civilian population needs to survive.

www.manuelsweb.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
some physicist with a half dozen Ph.Ds might be able to tell you, but i can offer something much better. We DONT need another fricken bomb! Nor another deadly virus, or gut wrenching chemical. Its all just a race of stupidity to see who can blow themselves up first.

omg you make so much sense! and its true, and the antimatter bomb if you must know was the weapon used in the "BIg BAng Theory" luckily there was more matter
this shows that if antimatter ever became a weapon all matter in this side of the solar system would be destroyed, so i think that scientists are taking that into consideration before actually making one

And besides antimatter is best used as something positive such as ship drives for intergalactic travel! to make new strives in the field of good science!

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Albert Einstein�s famous equation E=mc(squared) shows that mass is a concentrated form of energy. Fission and Fusion reactions convert just a fraction of 1 percent of their mass into energy. But there is a way to convert matter into energy at nearly 100 percent efficiency: Combine matter with anti-matter, its mirror twin. Physicists have created tiny quantities of antimatter by smashing sub-atomic particles together at near-light speeds. Scientists at CERN, the European physics facility in Switzerland, recently managed to create 1 million anti-hydrogen atoms---about 10(to the negative 15th power) of a pound. A mutual annihilation of a half a pound each of hydrogen and anti-hydrogen would unleash more energy than a 10-megaton hydrogen bomb, along with a shower of subatomic particles called pions and muons.

An excerpt from the Aug. 2003 Discover magazine.

It was also mentioned that tanks, magnets, radiators, and particle beams needed to contain such a material has already been created.

A side note: The technology is obviously somewhat undeveloped.

And just for a fact, anti-matter can be extremly heavy.

[Edited on 23-11-2003 by Indefatigable]

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indefatigable
Albert Einstein�s famous equation E=mc(squared) shows that mass is a concentrated form of energy. Fission and Fusion reactions convert just a fraction of 1 percent of their mass into energy. But there is a way to convert matter into energy at nearly 100 percent efficiency: Combine matter with anti-matter, its mirror twin. Physicists have created tiny quantities of antimatter by smashing sub-atomic particles together at near-light speeds. Scientists at CERN, the European physics facility in Switzerland, recently managed to create 1 million anti-hydrogen atoms---about 10(to the negative 15th power) of a pound. A mutual annihilation of a half a pound each of hydrogen and anti-hydrogen would unleash more energy than a 10-megaton hydrogen bomb, along with a shower of subatomic particles called pions and muons.

An excerpt from the Aug. 2003 Discover magazine.

It was also mentioned that tanks, magnets, radiators, and particle beams needed to contain such a material has already been created.

A side note: The technology is obviously somewhat undeveloped.

And just for a fact, anti-matter can be extremly heavy.

[Edited on 23-11-2003 by Indefatigable]

hmm strange where did you find this? it would be nice if you could give me a site

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
it would be rather easy to design an anti-matter bomb (i could do an extremely basic design right now) but we dont have the technology to actually build it or make it, or to manufacture a large amount of anti-matter. Not to mention, it would be so much more powerful than any weapon out there right now as to be truly dangerous to the planet itself (not just the life on it) If you could manufacture anti-matter in large quanitities for weapons whats to stop some suicidal psychotic with resources (think Hitler at the end of World War 2) from blowing up a big enough bomb to literally destroy the Earth, it would not take that much Anti-Matter to produce enough energy to demolish this planet of ours, scary stuff

I for one hope they never design or build these weapons, they are far to dangerous, exponentially more so than ANYTHING in our arsenal to date.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven

They don't make bombs to blow stuff up, they build bombs to commit global extortion.....

....Do what we say or we'll blow you up!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have to wonder if the guys who develop these weapons can sleep at night knowing what they are doing? I mean hell Oppenhimer and Einstein felt like # once they realized what they had done, so if anti-matter weapons would make nukes look like firecrackers, then these men and women should pray to their respective gods for forgiveness for what they have done.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I really doubt you could make an antimatter bomb. Simply put, it reacts explosively with it's opposite....matter. Which is...anything. Oxygen molecule=matter.

Secondly....Do you realize how powerful antimatter really is? It would only take an amount as small as a TEASPOON to destroy the earth. A TEASPOON!

It's simply impossible. That's all I have to say on it.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
I really doubt you could make an antimatter bomb. Simply put, it reacts explosively with it's opposite....matter. Which is...anything. Oxygen molecule=matter.

Secondly....Do you realize how powerful antimatter really is? It would only take an amount as small as a TEASPOON to destroy the earth. A TEASPOON!

It's simply impossible. That's all I have to say on it.

I agree with you.

If humans caould of build a anti-matter bomb then there we be no me you or any other people.

There would be no earth.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   
well, actually, it IS feasible, but part of the weapon would have to include a pretty strong magnetic field built in such a way as to make sure none of the anti-matter can touch anything

but i do agree with you that possible though it may be, it should NEVER EVER be built

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
well, actually, it IS feasible, but part of the weapon would have to include a pretty strong magnetic field built in such a way as to make sure none of the anti-matter can touch anything

but i do agree with you that possible though it may be, it should NEVER EVER be built

it is possible to make an antimatter bomb....who are we to tell them people at a51 or CERN not to?
for one thing, any particle would react....right? therefore create a vacuum, problem solved.
use electrogravity to hold antimatter in center of sphere, turn electrogravity off upon detonation.
maintaining the thing is difficult, im surprised some1 on the board knows that antimatter is in fact...really heavy, transporting it would be HAZARDOUS!!
you'd need a power transformer the size of an average-sized shopping mall to make this thing work, all that energy would go into this sphere...the size of a ping-pong ball.
this ping-pong ball would need the antimatter inserted within all the while maintaining a vacuum....ouf, this alone would be extremely difficult.
once you actually do all that you need the electrogravity engaged at an extremely high leve, failiure to do so would result in the antimatter touching the ceramic sides of the sphere.....we all know what that would do

i'm like a little too young to be doing meta-physics...im 2 years' ahead of myself, just^^^^related an idiot's guide on the creation of an anti-matter bomba.
it's a fool-proof guide, but you'd get nowhere by trying...creating the anti-matter alone you need CERN's help.
btw, glad to see kking takes a similar interest in these matters...are you SPESNAZ or FBI?
im none of the above...just a kid, and you take meta-physics?

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Cyrus,

thanks for the info on anti-matter.

but I'm not sure that we fully understand physics yet so maybe anti-matter is not such a challenge after all?

but that would also mean that our present capabilities would be limited, provided that we are aware of what our abilities are?

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I like bombs, they make me cum.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperspace
I like bombs, they make me cum.

dude you should be perma banned for this comment i mean there are children who look at this stuff, "daddy what does (unexplicited word) mean?" thats what a little kid would be asking and nether the less how could you to a huge piece of cold metal that carries enough explosives to blow up your home town? it doesnt make sense, you need to see a docter, seriously man you do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join