It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OTC Painkillers Risky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Chronic disease is epidemic in the USA; seven of every 10 Americans who die each year, die of a chronic disease. Pain is one of the most common symptoms that starts early in the disease process.
There are no cures, few treatments, and often, no diagnosis until the acute late stages; many people "self-medicate" to dull the pain and keep going. The direct effects of over-the-counter painkillers send more than 200,000 Americans to emergency rooms each year, causing an estimated 16,000 deaths. "Side effects" from OTC pain relievers include internal bleeding, and kidney, liver and heart damage. The FDA is cracking down by demanding sterner warnings on package labels, but will not require that patients be advised of cardiovascular risks until the "future."

dsc.discovery.com< br /> Dec. 20, 2006 — Popular over-the-counter pain pills such as aspirin, ibuprofen and acetominophen would have to carry labels with sterner warnings under a government proposal to better emphasize the drugs' risks.

Federal health officials cautioned the tens of millions of Americans who take the drugs of their potentially serious side effects and released the planned label changes.

Aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen and the other related over-the-counter drugs remain safe and effective when used as directed, the Food and Drug Administration said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So why isn't the FDA putting "cardiovascular risk factors" on the labels? It's the least they could do. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the USA, and painkillers arguably are a factor contributing to its prevalence. For that matter, kidney disease is rising fast as a leading cause of death, and kidney damage is a well-known "side effect" of painkillers.

Someone should do the math, and include indirect effects in the equation:

1. Chronic disease + pain + pain relievers + cell damage from pain relievers = a compromised immune system.

2. A compromised immune system = greater susceptibility to other diseases + even more complications = more disease.

3. More disease = rising health care costs + disability + unemployment + forced early retirement = larger Social Security payouts.

Hey! I have an idea!

Why don't we just cut to the chase and dismantle Social Security? Let everybody live, and die young, on painkillers.

ATSNN: Comptroller of the United States Warns of Pending Economic Disaster

ATSNN: Chronic Disease to Kill 400 Million

Related News Links:
www.cdc.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.atsnn.com...
Mycoplasma Coverup - example Lyme Disease

[edit on 22/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's known that painkillers muck with proteins and affect cells - and maybe mRNA.

It seems likely that these kinds of chemicals also might cause microbes to mutate, and adapt to their presence.

Anyone know or have any ideas?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am not a chemist, but i will tell you that the pharmaceutical industries would like nothing better than to make everything "controlled", with a heftier price tag.

Taken in moderation, only as needed, nothing is going to happen to you when you take OTC meds...whats the alternative? Oxycontin? A life drooling from the mouth and acting nuts?

No, thanks. I will continue taking in MODERATION what i need and i will be alright.

Everything has a potential to kill us. Eventually something WILL. We will not live forever, so, what do you do.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
It's known that painkillers muck with proteins and affect cells - and maybe mRNA.

That would make sense.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
That would make sense.

Why? What is the scientifc backing for this? I've never heard of NSAIDs or APAP as a mutagen.

I personally hate APAP, it's made my liver enzyme numbers skyrocket when I was in it in the form of Tylenol w/Codeine, Vicodin, Percocet, etc.

Now I put APAP down as something I'm allergic to, it's a bad, bad drug but I seriously doubt it's a teratogen or mutagen.

As far as the NSAIDs, they can lead to stomach ulcers, but not mutations or cancer IMHO.

The best painkillers IMO are oxycodone and hydromorphone, unfortunately they're usually difficult to get as a prescription. As a sufferer of chronic pain myself, I must say there's really no really good solution to pain. Either the painkillers affect your body or mind in a negative way.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What would be considered a safe - and infrequent - dose of:

Aspirin?
Advil?
Tylenol?

Of the three, my limited experience indicates Advil as the safest and aspirin as the worst.
Although I have heard of liver damage occuring with modest doses of Tylenol - in some people.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
While this is an excellent topic, I would remind everyone that there is no one on ATS who can dispense specific medical advice. Each person is unique and has specific medical history that must be evaluated as a whole by the health care professional of your choice. This professional would evaluate you in person and would be able to fully understand your level of health, any conditions you have, and have access to diagnostic tests to further evaluate and clarify any issue.

None of this can happen over your internet connection.

[edit on 22/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

i will tell you that the pharmaceutical industries would like nothing better than to make everything "controlled", with a heftier price tag.

I think the trend is too make more drugs OTC - not increase control. Ie., statins in England are now OTC.

I hope you don't think I'm recommending controls.

My beef is that most everyone is sick and getting sicker - but there aren't cures or good treatments, and people are forced to 'dumb themselves down' just to kill the pain. ...That's the plan, imo.

Taken in moderation, only as needed, nothing is going to happen to you when you take OTC meds...

The FDA is a drug industry puppet - and it's bad enough for them to take action. Which means it's WAAYYY worse than they say.

whats the alternative? Oxycontin?

Natural herbs might be a whole lot healthier than synthetic chemicals. In more ways than we know.

Another alternative is to clean up the world, and quit killing people.

Everything has a potential to kill us. Eventually something WILL. We will not live forever, so, what do you do.

Fatalistic marketing pitch. Not true. Please don't buy it. We've got manufactured killers out there that the world has never seen before - in our air, water, medicine, and food. It's a joke.

This is about living with quality, not in pain from industry-created chronic disease.

What do you do? Don't buy the BS. Know that it doesn't have to be like this. Fight for quality.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by soficrow]

new topics

top topics

join