It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man-eating Flies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Has anyone else read this article?
My bud sent it to me a while back, maybe in April, and since then I've tried to find other information on this topic. I've had no success, every site that mentions 'man-eating flies' posts the same article. The article is by Elizabeth Fullerton from Reuters, no more info on her, either. This article can't be found on the reuters site, either. Just thought I'd post the link anyways. What do you guys think?

Man-Eating Flies

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Probably real, it doesn't seem too far-fetched to me. If its not, someone spent a lot of time constructing a lie that isn't very interesting.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
No, that's what I mean, I don't think it's too far-fetched, either. I'm just really interested and would like to find more information, if possible.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I ran a search and found this. Not sure if its the same thing. Interesting none the less.

www.allaahuakbar.net...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yes, they're for real. Back when I was getting my BSc in Biology (before 1980), this was widely discussed and strategies to eradicate them were hot topics in ranching.

I remember the news stories in 1982, and the debate over using radiation to sterilize them. They generally did not get into humans... it was cattle that they had such a devastating effect on.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yep, same thing....but propaganda on that site... Seems they stumbled upon the earlier story, and then reworked it. Personally, I think the Reuters story is a bit exaggerated....

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by StationsCreation
I ran a search and found this. Not sure if its the same thing. Interesting none the less.

www.allaahuakbar.net...

Yes, it sounds like the same thing. Thanks for the link to the article

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:00 AM
link   
pretty bizarre at first I thought it was bogus too, maybe some sort of April Fools joke. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
these sound like nasty little buggers. Makes you wonder if Nature really is finally fighting back, you know? BTW-thanks for the link

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Has anyone else read this article?
My bud sent it to me a while back, maybe in April, and since then I've tried to find other information on this topic. I've had no success, every site that mentions 'man-eating flies' posts the same article. The article is by Elizabeth Fullerton from Reuters, no more info on her, either. This article can't be found on the reuters site, either. Just thought I'd post the link anyways. What do you guys think?

Man-Eating Flies

Good Link!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
oh man I hate flies, that article just made me like them even less!

Good Find though!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I'm going to buy a bug zapper or two....stat!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here are some more sites with info on the screw wormfly:

GENERAL INFO

SCREW WORM FLY INFO WITH PHOTOS

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We just had a batch of phorids released in our area. Phorids are known as "decapitator flies" because they target and kill ants. They lay eggs in an ant, the larvae eat their way to the ant's head, then it eats all the brain until the ant's head just falls off. They are trying to reduce the fire ant population, which has gone crazy here within the last few years. Fire ants have no predators here. Nothing wants to attempt to eat something that stings the living hell out of it on contact !
I know it's a bit off topic, but since we were talking about flies, I figured, why not. I just wonder what other creatures these flies will lay eggs in !?!?
Just in case you think this is bs...here's the news article about it.
Killer Flies!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
very interesting. it's too bad the article is so short. I would have been great if they went into such questions are you brought up. will it lay eggs? will it infest and then be without a natural predator? then what.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Wonder if there is any relation of this bug to the Bot Fly. Which is known to have its larva burrow into human skin to grow.

Bot Flies

More on Bot Flies

Wonder what other creatures are out there hidden in the tropical rain forests that we are going to uncover when we need more room to live.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
We just had a batch of phorids released in our area. Phorids are known as "decapitator flies" because they target and kill ants. They lay eggs in an ant, the larvae eat their way to the ant's head, then it eats all the brain until the ant's head just falls off. They are trying to reduce the fire ant population, which has gone crazy here within the last few years. Fire ants have no predators here. Nothing wants to attempt to eat something that stings the living hell out of it on contact !
I know it's a bit off topic, but since we were talking about flies, I figured, why not. I just wonder what other creatures these flies will lay eggs in !?!?
Just in case you think this is bs...here's the news article about it.
Killer Flies!!!

My question is, is there a natural enemy for this fly? In the US? It would be just like the gov to import a new terrorizing creature to get rid of another.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I read up on the phoridae species as a whole. It says they are not selective in their egg-laying. They will go after ants, wasps, or bees. Florida has a huge honey industry that is paired with our citrus industry. I wonder if they thought about the impact of the flies near bee hives? Probably not. To solve a problem they are just creating many more problems. I might contact the local agricultural extension office and ask them about the phorid project.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
Wonder if there is any relation of this bug to the Bot Fly. Which is known to have its larva burrow into human skin to grow.

Bot Flies

More on Bot Flies

Wonder what other creatures are out there hidden in the tropical rain forests that we are going to uncover when we need more room to live.

Very interesting. it's amazing how many varieties are flies like this there are.

I read up on the phoridae species as a whole. It says they are not selective in their egg-laying. They will go after ants, wasps, or bees. Florida has a huge honey industry that is paired with our citrus industry. I wonder if they thought about the impact of the flies near bee hives? Probably not. To solve a problem they are just creating many more problems. I might contact the local agricultural extension office and ask them about the phorid project.

man, that really sounds like short-term planning. If it were to happen that they got into the bees, what would they bring in to stop the fly? Once it gets started it can be an endless cycle. Hopefully it causes no problems for the honey bees and citrus industry.

posted on Nov, 20 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
They are trying to reduce the fire ant population, which has gone crazy here within the last few years. Fire ants have no predators here. Nothing wants to attempt to eat something that stings the living hell out of it on contact !

Nice find, and I hope it works. Fire ants are quite a problem here in Texas.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join