It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those eating cheap....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I remember my college days, and eating dirt cheap...here's a trick for jazzing up that college staple...Ramen Noodles!!! Make the noodles as normal, but leave a bit more water, add a packet of Lipton's Cup A Soup (Chicken Noodle) to Chicken Ramen Noodles, during the "sitting" phase (after they've boiled a bit)...and add a little bit of parsley flakes... Really makes it tolerable...

Another quick, but cheap thing, is to make easy gravy for either chicken or beef...

Take two cans of Franco American Gravy (chicken or beef, depending on what you're going for). Neither are real good on their own, but add one can of Cream of Mushroom soup (even if you hate mushrooms) to the two cans of gravy, and it makes a great, home-made tasting gravy!

Best hint, buy a Foreman Grill!!! These things are awesome!!! (all you need is a plug, and you can make steaks, grilled chicken breasts, etc.) And those McCormick Grill Mates marinades rock.... Especially Mesquite!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I've wondered about the Foreman grill. Is it really that easy to use & doesn't make a mess?

I don't know how to barbeque.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
if it wasnt for the foreman grill i'd be dead

cooking tuna steaks right now

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Fast, easy to use, and easy cleanup....

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
here is one of my recipies from being poor.

take 1 bag of ramen noodles,

boil till they are soft,
drain the water, and stick them in a large frying pan,

Fry the noodles,
while you're waiting for this, open a can of chilli, hormel or dog food, what ever you have, and drop it in.

add 2 table spoons of miracle whip.

a dash of cumin, garlic powder and a packet of taco bell mild sauce.

fry together untill well mixed and the noodles are browned.

serve it up.
as #ed up as it sounds, it was a ghetto favorite.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yep, it was commonly referred to as "Ghetto Casserole"

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is currently one of my main staples:

Rice, beans mixed with "Armor Treet" (cheaper than spam!), olives and a variety of seasonings. One batch knocks out your stomach for whatever meal it is, lunch breafast or dinner. Rice is like $5 for a 10 pound bag. Bean are even cheaper, 89 cents for like a pound and the armor tree is one dollar. That whole thing gives you like two or three days of food, off of about $3!

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I would think everyone knows this but you can make some ghetto chips!

Take bag of ramen, crush it but don't pop the bag, and don't crush them up too much man you don't want powdah, open 1 end of the bag. take out the flavor packet, open it and pour that # in the bag. Hold the bag shut in you hand and shake that for about 30 seconds.

then get ready for some spicy chicken flavored chips! BEEF CHIPS AND EVEN SHRIMP CHIPS FOR THE PIMPED OUT PLAYAZ! hah

they are kinda good though

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Can you cook a turkey in the foreman grill & will it turn out right every time.

That's a problem I have. One year, the turkey turns out great. Another time, it's not so great. :bash:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 07:35 AM
link   
They are going to need a B I G G E R grill.

I would pay to see a turkey cook on the Foreman, um ...
yeah.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think she's talking about the Foreman Rotiserrie instead...

As for the ghetto chips, I used to do that all the time in Saudi... We didn't have a cafeteria in the International School, and we all brown-bagged (and had no fridges), so it was a pretty easy thing to do ...(chips were hard to find there for some reason...)

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Here is a easy recipe for those eating cheap.....

1 can of beans.....any beans!
Parsley chopped fine........any amount you enjoy!
Chili ......depending on taste!
Alfalfa sprouts ......any amount!
Tomato chopped...if you like tomatoes!
1 small onion.......if you like onion!
spring onions chopped........any amount
Basmati rice .....pre cook it!
Tuna.........ones in a can
Cottage cheese.......according to whatever your taste is
Any cheese ........shaved parmasen is quite tasty or any hard cheese!

You can use all the ingredients above......or use whatever your taste desires!

Heat in microwave.....or on stove in a saucepan low heat!

Or enjoy cold!

I know......it may not look all that good(when heated), but it tastes quite yummy!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
~Throw bout four eggs on the stove [or howevery many you prefer], cook til' soft yellow in color [I scramble mine]. Add garlic powder,salt,pepper,and salsa when done cooking. I'd usually use the store bought Pace brand medium hot. Serve up up paper plate n' enjoy! Makes a good brunch too. Just add toast and sunny d. lol

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:03 AM
link   
if you want to eat cheap listen to the poorest guy on ats. here is what you do. if you start to get hungry for breakfast or lunch just fight through it. and if you get hungry for dinner just go to sleep. then when you wake up from your nap you can eat a bologna sandwhich (how the hell do you spell bowl-own-e?) serve with a glass of water. only eat one cause you got to have enough to last you through the winter. and if your water aint cut on at the moment drive to a gas station or something and take a milk gallon container and fill it up in the bathroom. if your electric aint cut on at the moment get spam instead of bologna. if you are kinda rich at the time you can get cheese if you want.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
You spelled bologna correctly

Ramen's still cheaper though, hehe....

If you're in the states and really poor...

1. befriend the gals at your local grocery store deli...then, visit about 15 min before the deli closes...they'll likely have some fried chicken ready to just toss in the garbage, and will either mark it down a hell of a lot, or simply give it to you...

2. if really desparate, grocery stores get bread delivered at about 4 in the morning, and the crates are simply left by the door...your average manager doesn't go in till about 6am, leaving you a couple hours to simply walk by, and grab a loaf or two of free bread, hehe....

I pieced this together from high school days working in a grocery store...there are plenty of other ways too, but lucky, I never had to resort to number 2 (though I used number 1 quite a bit, and ate free chicken probably 3 out of 7 nights...)

I never ate as good as I did working in a grocery store...so that's a good side job to get if poor... I'd eat lobster a lot (as the seafood guy was my buddy, and would weigh something really light, print the sticker, and slap it on my lobster, hehe...and then I'd go to a friendly cashier....), same with steaks, etc.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 12:49 PM
link   

1. befriend the gals at your local grocery store deli...then, visit about 15 min before the deli closes...they'll likely have some fried chicken ready to just toss in the garbage, and will either mark it down a hell of a lot, or simply give it to you...

I still do this.

top topics

join