It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Area Malls Implement No Swearing Policy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I understand what you are saying, however one policy for all seems much better as I see it. This way no one can cry discrimination because it applies to all and I assume that would also include adults although that is not mentioned. No swearing means just that as the signs that state no shirts no shoes no service that also apply to all

Ah, but the difference is that though the rule may apply to adults, it won't necessarily be enforced on adults. It will likely only be used as a means to harrass and expell the undesireables. This is true of most silly little rules like this.

The "no shoes, no shirt" thing is a health code issue, this is more of a decency thing. And as such, will only be used where a person in a position of "authority" (mall security guard) will bother to enforce. I don't know about you, but I've gotten mall security to back down with a stern voice, and proffesional tone, much like a barking dog.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ahhh, but yes.

This definetly should include adults...And an Anti Bush sweatshirt is not swearing.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
MasterJedi

Chances are the kids that make problems weren't spending near as much money there as those that were offended.

I doubt that very much. Most elderly people are on fixed incomes, whereas teenagers have a great deal of discretionary income.

Meaning, they have a greater income in proportion to their expenses. They have few commitments, and a fair bit of cash with which to make purchases. Alienating teens to please the old folks is bad business, IMO.

That said, the mall can do as it pleases. I just hope they've made a critical miscalculation and it forces them to shutter their operation. This country could do with fewer malls, IMO.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
honestly, the store operators are probably behind this.

Youths actually spend very little money at the mall when they are unaccompanied by an adult.

Kids are a major expense for retail. They damage merchandise, and are much less likely to put something back where they got it. More importantly, they account for ~80% of the shoplifting.

So, how do you sort the kids that are there, "killing time," from those who are there with mom and pop?

You select based on their behavior. It's a safe bet that most of the shoplifters are with friends, and not their folks.

Business is business.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

If cigarrette smoke is banned as a noxious nuisance, why is disturbing the peace OK?

Because we are going down a very slippery slope here. I find women's perfume offensive. It reaks, makes me naucious, gives me a headache, etc. Should that also be banned?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I wasn't referring to the elderly, but the adults. As I stated, I don't want to hear that while shopping with my young son, even though he is aware of how inappropriate that sort of language is, I prefer to keep his exposure to a minimum.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Ahhh, but yes.

This definetly should include adults...And an Anti Bush sweatshirt is not swearing.

Offensive is not necessarily swearing either, which is why this is usch a dangerous thing. And though it should include adults, it won't. At least not the adults that look like they are upstanding citizens, or wearing a suit, or whatever.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Well, maybe.

Of course, it's not illegal to SMELL like cigarettes. But most it's the activity that you are expected to control.

Reasonable people can be expected to control the profanity they give out. Somehow, even people who claim that "it's just the way I talk" seem to find a bit of self control when appearing before a judge, or trying to get out of a ticket.

Unless you have tourette's syndrome, you are responsible for the words that come out of your mouth. If most passersby are bothered by it, then you are responsible for their discomfort.

Civility in society means working a bit to accomodate other people.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I'm no prude, by any stretch of the imagination, but i say ENOUGH with the swearing in public, where people feel they can say anything they want, as filthy as they want. This society now, does not know proper from improper and i guess its up to the higher ups to monitor the situation.

I agree. I was at the doctor's office today and the guy I saw (he's not a doctor but more than a nurse...I can't think of the name now) was saying the F word like it was part of his daily vocabulary.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Brilliant tactic.

You have a business. You want to evict an undesirable group from your business but can't seem to get it done. What do you do? Make rules that are impossible for them to follow and that will anger them until they leave on their own under protest.

"I'm not hanging out in this F'ing mall again if I can't swear when I F'ing want to!!"

Mission accomplished by the mall, wouldn't you say?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Civility in society means working a bit to accomodate other people.

I like this. May I use this as a sig? Giving you full credit of course.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Do I trace a hint of sarcasm or Irony?

Feel free, but no need to cite me unless you feel like it. My words are not copyrighted.

How about something like, civility is a two way street?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
No sarcasm. Just liked it. It fits around here sometimes. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
How is asking that people be respectful of other people in any way a bad thing? I mean its ridiculous that they are forced to make it a rule to not act like a heathen. A sign of the times I suppose...

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
MasterJedi
The reason I mentioned old people is because the article stated that they were the source of the complaints, no?

Anyway, I don't have a problem with profanity. I use it extensively. But of course there's a time and a place for everything. I avoid profanity at work and in public because I don't want to cause a confrontation - it's purely selfish, I couldn't care less about other people and their kids.

Doesn't it bother anybody else that there are so-called 'obscene' words? They're just words, they can't hurt you. What it boils down to is obscenity of thought, and controls on speech are just ways to control the public pronouncement of unpopular thoughts.

I think people who take their freedoms seriously should acknowledge the importance of unpopular speech, and realize that what's obscene to some may not be obscene to others. Furthermore, if something is obscene to someone, it's because they were trained by their parents to recognize it that way. There's nothing inherently obscene about a collection of letters, or a sound made by the human vocal chords.

Point being, it ceases to become offensive if you're no longer offended by it, and then everyone wins, people can speak as they please, and you don't have to concern yourself so much.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

- it's purely selfish, I couldn't care less about other people and their kids.

I, for one, believe you.

Doesn't it bother anybody else that there are so-called 'obscene' words? They're just words, they can't hurt you.

Words are used every day to humiliate and hurt people. racial and gender slurs at the top of the list. If you were ever the unpopular kid, with the wrong skin color, or the wrong religion, you know that words can hurt plenty; that they are used, in the offense they cause, to make people feel worthless and unwelcome.

Words have the power to inflame and incite. They are used to injure and divide. They are powerful things. And using them irresponsibly causes hurts that last a lifetime.

But that's probably irrelevant, if you could care less about other people. or their kids.

all the best.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
... just kids with their underwear showing because some old lady didn't like the way she feels when she lays eyes on a young boy's undies...

Side note: It has been remarked in jails across the land that the fashion of wearing one's jeans below the buttocks does make it easier for the hard-timers to get "access" when feeling the urge to merge with the newbies on the block.

Teenagers are not the principle source of income for Malls, studies have shown that most teenagers do not have the money to spend freely.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
And selfishness and disregard for other people is probably the main reason for our descent as a people, I especially notice this in our youth and concerns me deeply about the future...

But I've stated my opinion on this matter and am glad to see that some decency is valued even if not by all/

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes, words are just words. Why should they matter? And what about bodily functions? It's all natural. Just put a commode out in the middle of everything. No need for any decorum (we've established that).

In fact, maybe we should start right here at ATS. No point in prohibiting profanity. In fact much less sense in prohibiting it here. We're here of our volition and it's much easier to not read that which offends than it is to avoid high volume vocalizations in a public setting, right?

No point in politeness or having any regard for anyone else's feelings, if not in person than certainly not on a website, no?

Call a # a #, says I. It's just words.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Obvioulsy the policies of ATS don't change simply because I state my opinion on the subject of curse words.

dr_strangecraft

Words are used every day to humiliate and hurt people. racial and gender slurs at the top of the list. If you were ever the unpopular kid, with the wrong skin color, or the wrong religion, you know that words can hurt plenty; that they are used, in the offense they cause, to make people feel worthless and unwelcome.

Don't blame the words, blame the jerks who act that way towards others. Do you blame guns when some nutter decides to go on a shooting spree? Of course not.

Focus on the individual and his/her decisions, not the tools that these people use, that's my opinion.

Words have the power to inflame and incite. They are used to injure and divide. They are powerful things. And using them irresponsibly causes hurts that last a lifetime.

Say what? I've been called plenty of nasty things in my lifetime, and not once did I suffer permanent damage. Maybe I'm superhuman? Nah...

More likely, some people are entirely too sensitive, and don't know how to avoid internalizing the hurtful comments made by others.

But that's probably irrelevant, if you could care less about other people. or their kids.

And yet I treat people well, how do you like that? Meanwhile, the actions of people who claim to care about everyone bely their true feelings.

Better to be honest, and cultivate relationships of mutual respect. The end result of my selfishness is that I treat everyone with respect until they give me reason to treat them otherwise, because I've found that way of life creates the least friction and allows me to exist in relative peace.

The principle behind this method can be seen in the story we're talking about - if the teenagers had acted more responsibly, they wouldn't be getting thrown out of the mall. If they had been sufficiently intelligent to see that they could best serve themselves by acting in a more restrained fashion, we wouldn't be here discussing this issue. They weren't just being selfish, they were being stupidly selfish, and nearsighted.

I don't curse loudly in public, or beat up on people weaker than me, I don't throw my trash on property belonging to others, I don't drive recklessly or commit crimes - and yet I consider myself a very selfish person. I don't do those things because if I did, I would be creating problems for myself that I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with on a regular basis. So, am I a bad person because I'm doing good things for selfish reasons?

Maybe there's a difference between logical, rational selfishness, and the epidemic of sheer stupidity that most people in this country associate with selfishness?

Ya think?

2stepsfromtop

Teenagers are not the principle source of income for Malls, studies have shown that most teenagers do not have the money to spend freely.

What studies? Evidence please...

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

www.don-iannone.com...

In five years, spending by American teenagers has jumped from $122 billion a year to $170 billion, sending retailers scrambling to find ways to siphon more of the lucrative pool.

www.charlestonbusiness.com...

Last year, American teens spent over $129 billion on retail purchases, according to a Rand youth poll. Surveys show that part-time jobs and generous parents provide typical teens with monthly shopping budgets that approach $400 on the average.

Link
America's 33.5 million teenagers spend big money -- an estimated $179 billion in 2006. And while their purchasing power is heralded by retailers and manufacturers, it's a concern among many financial experts.

Teens' spending habits might be setting them up for financial failure.

"All it takes is one trip to the mall to see the impact teenagers have," said Michael Wood,vice president of Teenage Research Unlimited.

That's enough for now, I think.

Teenagers spend a lot of money - I don't understand how anyone who lives in this country could think otherwise. They don't make as much as adults, obviously, but practically all of their dough is discretionary - they can spend it on whatever they want.

That makes them ideal consumers.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by WyrdeOne]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join