It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

block these ip addresses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
zooplancton, have you had your rig checked out for viruses, spyware, etc., recently?

That's where I would suggest to start first, since this just started happening fairly recently.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
Interesting thread. Just about a week ago now, accessing new url's has gotten pathetically slow. Like 15 seconds to get to a new site...

Hey there,

What I suspect is happening is, your web browser is caching the website prior to display.

This is why you get a pause before the site appears. This could also be why the site is likely to be lightning fast once visible.

My advice is to check your temporary internet file settings.

In addition, if you have upgraded to IE7 there is an anti-Phishing routine that scans a site for malicious code prior to allowing it to load. This can be turned off (Though it's a good routine... it definitely will slow down surfing) through the Tools Advanced tabs on IE7.

Hope that helps,

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by Neon Haze]

sip

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
interesting thread. just about a week ago now, accessing new url's has gotten pathetically slow. like 15 seconds to get to a new site...
i have a brand new mad-pro (dual core intel) and web surfing was "real-time" until about 7 days ago. now every site takes about 15 - 20 seconds to load - then when i'm on the site, it's fast; flipping through the site, no probs, but once i leave and go to a new site, it's retarded slow.

any ideas on this. it's really painful to surf with. (i have digital cable and it's been excellent)

thanks,
-b

If you're using Firefox it's most likely IPv6 lookup is enabled. This *really* slowed my webbrowsing down.
To turn it off type about:config in the URL. Search for IPv6. You should get a line like this : network.dns.disableIPv6. Make sure the Value field is set to true, if not then just right click to toggle it.
Such a pain in the ass problem

sip

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
hey sip, what exactly does that do??

I don't want to try something, if I don't know what it will do if I change it.

sip

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
hey sip, what exactly does that do??

I don't want to try something, if I don't know what it will do if I change it.

Don't worry it won't break anything. Essentially when you go browsing the web typing in a website such as google or whatever will normally resolve to IPv4 addresses. But now IPv6 is the new protocol being pimped but still not all servers implement this. So when you point your browser to a particular site it will retrieve the IPv4 address and if the network.dns.disableIPv6 is set to false it will attempt to resolve the servers IPv6 address. If the server has not got an IPv6 address then this slows the loading of the webpage down as your machine waits for a response.
You can safely set it to true for now. It won't affect anything.

Do note that this is essentially a Linux based problem so it shouldn't make much of a difference if you're using Windows.

sip

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Okay sip, thank you for that information.

I'm going to try it to see if I notice any performance difference over here. (Terribly sloooowwww dialup)

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sip

Do note that this is essentially a Linux based problem so it shouldn't make much of a difference if you're using Windows.

sip

Sip, thanks for the information. Will this issue affect a Mac runing OSX- version 3?

Thanks again.

sip

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Originally posted by sip

sip

Sip, thanks for the information. Will this issue affect a Mac runing OSX- version 3?

Thanks again.

A quick google says that it will affect certain versions of Mac OSX but does not specify which ones. I would disable it only if you feel you're browser is slow, as in more than 10 or 15 seconds to load a page.

sip

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
thanks everyone for your helpful tips. after 5 conversations with "go nowhere" comcast help, i'm finding out that our "area" network is feed-backing or is slow... (so they need to send someone out to check the area and find the prob) -- sounds like it's one of those go-nowhere things.

a guy came out to test my place, then basically have me tell him that their comcast rep. said the area was "yellow"... "we'll put it in the hopper"...

gonna be fun trying to get pro-rated billing going now...

thanks again for all your help.
-b

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. I go through attempted breach of my sys by unknowns a lot. I have a great security base but sometimes my registers get changed before I'm warned.

Dallas

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I too am going to have to rain on this parade.

Me and my roommate have done our fair share of network troubleshooting for a couple of major ISPs.

The 127.0.0.1 IP address is your localhost. It is actually on your system, which means you are blocking those associated ports you have listed locally, so that traffic cannot go through them from your own system.

So if you have a trojan on your system which monitors your traffic, thats the IP address it would do it with.

Incoming and outgoing traffic from external IP's won't be stopped by this.

Also, if it's the government monitoring you, I'm afraid you cannot stop that my friend. They monitor you through what we call the 'backbone' of the internet. The mesh of network hubs and servers linking the internet together. What they do is redirect traffic from one hub, direct it to their own servers, then mirror the connection back to another hub to continue communication with the intended server.

Here's an exampe.

Without monitoring :
YOU ----- YOUR ISP ----- BACKBONE HUBS ----- DESTINATION
(your PC) (Road Runner?) (Servers in between) (www.yahoo.com)

With Monitoring :
YOU ---- ISP ---- HUBS --- GOVERNMENT MIRROR ---- HUBS ---- DESTINATION

Nothing you do on your end of the line will affect the government from watching you, short of not connecting to the internet in the first place. The monitoring is completley silent. There are ways to detect it, but nothing you can do to prevent it... within reason.

Now, your speed wont really be affected enough to notice it. It may drop by a couple of milliseconds. Which is how you can detect them... but thats only through diagnostics, while knowing what the rest of the servers along the line are doing... it's tricky.

If the governments servers crash, thats when you have a problem. If they go down, they cant mirror the traffic to where it was intended to go, and then your internet goes down... but don't think that because one monday morning your internet stopped means that the government servers went down... it's more likely that your ISP's CMTS, or NDS failed than a government monitoring station locked up.

And you can breathe easy knowing that not even one percent of your traffic ever gets read. Most of it is simply there so that if they do stumble across a legitimate threat, they can easily pull up what they have done so far, and pay closer attention to them. The government simply doesnt have the manpower to wade through all that data, only those they feel are major threats get watched.

Anywhoo... thats my parade wrecker.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by johnsky]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I did it, and it works! One question though, when I saved the host file, I used wordpad. Now it has another file titled host but in wordpad. Is that ok?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join