It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Arts in Survival Situation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

But no matter how good any martial artist is....its how you deal with the threat that someone in a surval situaion...will take your life for what little you have!!

Someone once said when I trained ..."its not the dog thats in the fight....Its the fight thats in the dog" ...how hard you will fight to protect yourself and your own!!

My training is in Atemi JuJitsu 2nd Dan,trained in Aikido, Karate Kenpo,
Muay Thia and street threat awarness!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
After having read some of the posts here about supposed "martial artists" getting the butts handed by mere street fighters. I guess I will have to try and set the record straight.

First of all, any martial artist worth his salt would not be stupid enough to boast about his ability. he/she has basically given away their ace by having an opponent be unsuspecting about their fighting ability. Any instructor worth his salt will tell you this. Martial arts is not meant to be flowery and flamboyant. For all I know, these people that said "we're a black belt in...." could've been just bluffing and tried to execute some moves they saw in a movie or in a book somewhere. Bad form. Real martial arts is raw and un-flowery (is that a word?) you will not see real martial arts moves in a movie for a reason... they are BORING! in other words? they don't look as flamboyant as Neo dodging bullets. But this is not the purpose of Martial arts, the purpose of martial arts is to teach you how to fight!

Second, any instructor worth his salt will tell you out front that a lot of martial arts out there are bunk! and they are! Tae Kwon Do, Karate Do, Judo, Kendo, pretty much, almost anything ending with Do (Jeet Kune Do being one of the few exceptions, MAYBE kendo, but that's a huge maybe) are worthless and I will tell you that outright. I don't care if you're upset at me for calling the martial art you spent years practicing as worthless. It's the truth. Most of the martial arts that end in Do are watered down, olympic/game versions of their original art.

They're meant to be flamboyant and showy and no, they don't fare well in the real world. The root arts, the raw arts that really do teach you how to defend yourself end in jutsu. If you want to really learn to use a sword, you lear Iai-Jutsu and Ken-Jutsu (not Ken-Do) You want to learn how to use a Bo adequately in battle? Bo-Jutsu. Hand to hand? there are many, but Ju-jutsu (as opposed to the olympic equivalent, Judo) is also a good one for self defense. Art of stealth attacks? Nin-jutsu (from what I've learned, there is no obvious watered down version of this art. It'd be impractical)This isn't something that just my teacher told me just to boast his skill, I found this little fact to be mentioned a lot in a number of books on martial arts. Which brings me to point number 3.

Thirdly, any martial artist worth his salt will do A LOT of READING before even picking up a weapon or putting his fists up. This is true for a number of martial artists who are REALLY interested in the martial art and really interested in following the path of the warrior. A number of good books I would reccommend are:

The book of five rings: which by the way, agrees that you should study a number of martial arts not only for yourself, but to train in ways you can counter any move from those martial arts in particular. A must for anyone interested in finding out the type of mental as well as physical and spiritual attitude you should have if you plan on following the martial arts. Even the author in here blasphemes a number of the flowery martial arts that came up in his era. So again, this isn't something I just came up with. This is something even masters agree with.

Code of the Samurai: Just as with the book of five rings, it teaches you the mental, spiritual and physical attitude you should have if you plan on becoming a Bushi (warrior) as well as an interesting read into what a samurai really was.

The art of Shaolin Kung Fu: While it does show you the history as well as techniques of Shaolin Kung Fu. I say that the most important part of this book, and in fact, I read this BEFORE reading any techniques (since this was in the last chapters, the chapters on techniques were before this chapter) is the chapter on Chiqong or rather, your development of Chi. From my perspective, if you can't even control you Chi, no matter how well you do your techniques you won't be a successful fighter. Chi actually helps develop your stamina, resilience and tolerance for pain. Without it you wouldn't last as long.

The art of Iai-Jutsu (drawing the sword): Teaches very few techniques, but it teaches a wide range of history of the different types of martial arts. Helpful if you're trying to figure out what art you'd be interested in and what are its advantages.

Anything with Bushido: Not an actual martial art, but the code. Bushido translates into "Code of the warrior" or "Warrior path" a complete must for any serious martial artist.

Notice that, a lot of the books that I mentioned, for the most part don't focus on combat techniques, or focus very little on combat techniques. Why? because if you really wish to follow that path, then you need to start thinking like a Bushi, know their principles, ideologies, disciplines etc. before you even pick up a sword. Those martial artists mentioned in these threads that got their butts handed were not real martial artists, were not real Bushi's and it seemed incredibly obvious due to their stupid decisions in battle. Besides, Books on combat techniques are ok I suppose for someone looking for a hobby, but are barely useful for anyone trying to learn combat, you need to be highly skilled in martial arts to get anything out of a book to begin with, and even so, you benefit more from hands on experience than from learning techniques on a book.

Fourth and my last point here, any instructor worth his salt will teach you the techniques enough so that they become second nature to you and will be able to react before any hit is made. BUT, they will also tell you "DON'T stand around and THINK for too long or you're DEAD! If you can't remember your technique, then do SOMETHING, ANYTHING! The technique will come afterwards, what matters first is YOUR SAFETY!" In other words, yes, the techniques CAN work, but if you're in a life - death situation, then BREAK THE RULES IF YOU MUST!

I hope this has helped enlighten some of the people here into what the real heart of a martial artist is. Martial arts is nto meant to be a flowery show, it's meant to be real combat training and sadly a lot of what we see today isn't. No, I will not say what martial arts I've trained in the past, as I don't feel the need to give this information, nor is it really important. You'll be able to figure out your own path on your own anyway.

- Q

[edit on 7-4-2008 by Question]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well, it's interesting that you should ask - just recently i was working for a Karate group that's quite big in the world, and was learning a thing or two that isn't taught in the basic classes.

For people just starting out and getting to grips with learning to fight, i really would suggest one of the more traditional martial arts, such as Karate or even Boxing - it'll teach you the basics of fighting and you'll learn how to take people down pretty easily.

A decent Karate punch will phase even the biggest guy you can think of, and opponents of similar size will go flying if they don't know how to balance themselves.

Bit of advice though; don't rely purely on one martial art or the other - if the opponent knows that art then he knows what to expect.

Which you don't want in a fight.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I spent a few years learning some different styles. I was a very small shy kid that weighed less than 100lbs when I joined the military and my father thought it would be good to have me take these things to give me some confidence.

I started with kuk sool won and really enjoyed it...it was what was available where we lived. I then went to korea and spent a couple of years there and got the CRAP beat outta me taking hapkido down town. I was the only round eye in the class so I was beat up pretty bad. I learned a lot in the process. Then it was off to the east coast where I learned jow ga kung fu...pretty cool. I enjoyed the katas a lot...It was very demanding physically and Master Lee liked to used me as the demonstratee
We hit it off because I was pretty light on my feet and picked up the forms very quickly. So that was the most enjoyable style I have learned.

Then it was off to Ft Benning GA and there they brought some of the Gracie family in for a couple of weeks for training seminars...cool but not long enough. Would be a great style to study I think. Then I tried boxing and couldn't keep my feet or knees from coming up...it was quite comical actually.

Then I later left the military and studied Kenpo and escrima. The man that taught this class was something else is all I can say. Old school all of the way.

I know this is a long way to get to the point but I was exposed to many diffent styles (not as many as some of you) but I have to say the one that helped me the most was the escrima. I cannot describe what a difference I could see in the movements of someones body after practicing this for a while. The speed of the rattan sticks is blazing fast. Your hand eye coordination improves by leaps and bounds. It seemed like with open handed sparring that most people telegraphed their moves. I know this isn't the case but it is just an easy way for me to convey it.

In a survival situation, I would rather have a good gun and a little distance between me and the agressor(s). I say the style doesnt really matter a whole lot. I think that it is all what you put into it and dont just rely on one style...a boxer may be a great stricker but screw up his rhythm with a few well placed kicks and it screws up his offense. (just an example)

All styles have weak points and strong points and not all of them combined with get you out of every situation...Being aware of your surroundings a lot of times will help you more than anything else.

What I took away from all of it combined was that over the 18 yrs of studying is that I had enough skills to really get hurt if I ran my mouth. There are times to be confident and take a stand then there are times that you need to just melt away. Sometimes run like hell

I believe that all the training does is give you options. And those are options you may not have had otherwise. So study what you can...it can only help you

[edit on 9-4-2008 by kaferwerks]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm probably about to become unpopular, but whatever.

I have a fondness for martial arts, personally. I believe they are a great confidence builder, an excellent work out, great meditation, and don't forget balance and movement.

But, be aware, MOST martial arts are just for show. Most are just an art form and to be perfectly honest, won't ever help you on the streets. Many movements you are taught are impractical and even impossible to use for self defense. You'll find that in a real fight you don't have much of your fine motor skills, which many moves require.

However, you'll find some arts better than others and you'll get even more self defense out of any particular martial art if you filter out the impractical moves.

I would recommend any martial art for the reasons I have listed above. For the purposes of close quarters self defense, you might look into jiu jitsu and its twin brazilian jiu jitsu, these will help with grappling and going to ground.

You're always better off if you have a weapon, however, whether that means a gun, a knife, or anything that is handy near your person. For this reason its helpful to look into what the various military's use today, which will help you understand what really works for close combat and what doesn't.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
What about combat jujitsu?

And does anyone know a place where one can learn it?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakySquirrel
For a good while, I took Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's method of fighting), and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These two styles of martial arts are some of the best to use "on the streets."

Jeet Kune Do is a mainly stand-up style of fighting, it focuses on a method divised by Bruce Lee called "broken rhythm" fighting. Basically, mixing up your attacks instead of a set repetition of certain combinations. It is a very effective stand-up style of fighting that worked very well for me.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was created for shorter people (i.e- Brazilians) to fight effectively against larger, stronger opponents. It focuses mainly on take-down techniques as well as submissions, joint locks, and chokes.

Please be advised though, that these two styles are VERY different from "traditional" martial arts. You will not be breaking boards, smashing bricks, or learning any katas. You will however, have to bust your ass in many sparring sessions in which you will most likely not win for a while. These two styles are very dangerous to practice, and should only be done with someone who knows what they are doing.

Here are some links that may help you out if you are considering studying any of these arts:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: www.gracie.com/

Jeet Kune Do: www.geocities.com/jkdinstructor/

I hope that these help you out, just on a side-note; I am not an overly powerful person (I'm 6'1, 145lbs.), I was only in training six months with these styles at one time and I was able to beat any black belt in any "traditional" martial art that challenged me (I only had a white belt for most of my fights, but eventually got my blue belt.). I strongly recommend these two styles of fighting if you are looking to kick someone's ass severly or incapacitate your opponent.

Hopefully, this information will help you out, if you have any questions about this, please feel free to U2U me.

-SS

I would NEVER use brazillian jui jitsu in a street situation. BJJ uses the term "working" you work ur opponent into submissions. In a real life situation you'll loose an eye or testicle trying the techniques they use in sport competitions. JKD does not exist, theres no such thing, there was when bruce lee was around but even he demolished it before he died, people who claim to teach JKD besides dan inisanto are people who are using bruce lees name to make a buck. Aikido honestly you would be better not knowing a martial art then using aikido, I have never in my years of training seen even the best aikido masters use there martial art effectively. In all honesty boxing, wrestling, kodenkan dan zan ryu jujitsu is all you really need. Or if you have access to a classical fencing school I would highly suggest it. I would stay away from martial arts like karate, tae kwon do, BJJ, aikido. Karate is ok if your in okinawa and same with tae kwon do if your in korea, BJJ is a martial sport very impractical and another thing it's one quarter of danzan ryu jujitsu and only half of judo it's a dumbed down version of the japanese arts made popular through UFC, if there was eye gouging allowed royce gracie would of never made it anywhere in the UFC and we all know eye gouging is completely game when ur life is on the line. The hawaiian styles are very practical kajukenbo, once again danzan ryu, lua. Theres also Krav Maga which is very straight forward war fighting, theres also systema a russian fighting style. Capoeira if your real limber, growing up in california I've seen the practicality of capoeira, it is a very deadly martial art, remember back in the day helio gracie's first and only loss was to a capoeista. I know of almost EVERY martial art on this planet, I've studied them since I was a young kid I've trained in over a 100 different styles.also if ur in NYC I would find a 52 insturctor. if anyone has any questions on anything just send me a u2u

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by b.monki
I know of almost EVERY martial art on this planet, I've studied them since I was a young kid I've trained in over a 100 different styles.also if ur in NYC I would find a 52 insturctor. if anyone has any questions on anything just send me a u2u

Iam sorry to say this, but that comment drops the credibility of the post very much.

Secondly suggesting traditional fencing as practical combat form is guite interesting. usually fencing requires sword or other kind on blade weapons, not allways available. If you find someone who can teach you dagger fighting that's probably good, but swords?

Allmost none of the now days martial arts is good for practicallity because you are not allowed to train dirty tricks, like attacking opponents eyes, throat and sex organs. and they have rules, which survival situation does not have. What if enemy pics up a metalbar in the middle of fight or calls ten friends to help or knocks you out from behind? avoid fights ass much ass you can that's the best way to survive and if you have to fight make sure you have overpower with weapons or numbers.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hopea

When I was training in JKD (Jeet Kune Do) this is exactly what was focused on. Destruction of limbs, Joint locks, breaking fingers, eye gouges, groin kicks, knife fighting, mass attack (multiple attackers), kicks, punches, ground fighting, stick fighting. To the poster that said JKD died with bruce lee, is false. Dan Inosanto may be all thats left but lets not forget he has also trained individuals. My JKD practitioner was trained directly by Dan Inosanto, and is one of very view who is certified in JKD in the US. JKD's primary purpose is ending a fight as fast as possible by any means possible. I agree there are shams out there making money of of Bruce Lee's name, but to suggest that is all that is out there is false.

I continue to recommend JKD, as it isnt one particular style but a style of styles. Why stick with one art when you can take moves from multiple arts that are most effective and combine them in a way that suits YOUR body, your size, and your fighting style. JKS is not a martial art, its disciplined street fighting.

Here are all the styles my JKD training included:

WING CHUN *
Methods allow a block and an attack in the same movement. Characterized by aggressive action and the redirection of the opponent's energy. Movements are direct and straight.Traps and other controls are used. Concepts of the immovable elbow and centerline are stressed in this style of Wushu. Methods of defeating an opponent are striking, kicking, joint locking and throwing.

BOXING *
A power punching art where fighters square-off at arms length and throw combinations.Cross, jab, hook, uppercut, and overhook are the techniques used. Footwork and speed and distance are also extremely important in this style. Jab and cross are longer range punches, where uppercuts and crosses are shorter range punches.

WRESTLING *
A Western grappling art where takedowns and throws are used, superior positioning is heavily stressed. Practitioner can take down opponent by a shot to the legs or an upper body throw. Double and single-leg takedowns are most commonly used. Two types of wrestling are Freestyle (lower body) and Greco-Roman (upper body).

TRADITIONAL JUJITSU *
"Science of softness" is a grappling style that uses striking to vital point areas. Close quarter combat is also used in this Japanese art. An extremely ruthless art which contradicts its name. Practitioners find weaknesses in their opponents and exploit them in any way possible.

ESCRIMA *
Filipino Escrima is best known for its stick fighting techniques, as it is sometimes considered an art of traditional Fencing. Some areas of study include projectile weapons, anatomical weapons, and bladed weapons, it also uses knives and daggers with efficiency.

FILIPINO SIKARAN
Called "Philippine Foot Fighting", it is the only classical form of Filipino Karate. The hands are used to block and parry, and the legs are used to kick. A high number of jumping and flying kicks are used. Leg strength is extremely important in this style.

MUAY THAI *
Best known for its shin strikes, kicks are of primary importance. It is called "The science of eight limbs" because a successful fighter uses hands, elbows, feet, and knees. Different tie-ups and clinches are used to strike at close range.

KALI *
Weapons and empty hand techniques are used. "Espada y daga" is a method of weapons fighting where a sword and knife are used. Sticks and daggers are used as well in this Filipino art. Kicks are done with various parts of the leg as well as the foot. Arm and hand techniques include palm and elbow strikes.

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU *
A style of Jiu jitsu from Brazil that incorporates Capoeira techniques. Uses methods of street fighting, including striking, kicking, and grappling. Participants use head butts, elbow strikes and knee strikes.

KINO MUTAI *
The Filipino art of "Biting and Eye gouging". Pinching and breaking of fingers is also used in this brutal art. Takedowns combined with positioning and groundwork are also used.

SAVATE *
A French style of full-contact, empty-hand fighting. It developed as a method of street fighting adopted from Asian martial arts. Includes modern boxing techniques with kicking techniques.

DUMOG *
A form of Wrestling practiced in the Philippines. Practitioners use various grappling techniques as well as joint locks and off-balancing techniques. The object is to throw the opponent, as fighters usually grip the opponents belt or waist.

NINJITSU
Legendary martial arts system of the Ninja, the assassins and spies of feudal Japan. Ninjitsu embraces many martial techniques and variables, such as, endurance, weapons, map making, common disguises, and techniques for escaping were all learned. They used non-noble weapons such as daggers and poison. Ninjas were greatly feared and believed to have magical powers.

PANATUKAN *
A modified form of Filipino Boxing with the object to attack the limb. Destruction to the attacking limb is used in this art/closing the gap is also stressed.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
continued from above ...

NORTHERN PRAYING MANTIS
Consists of lightning quick techniques/uses straight and circular techniques. Characterized by the hook-handed technique called the Mantis Hand. Anticipation of opponents next movement is used in this style of Wushu. Striking is emphasized by both open and hooked hand techniques as well as grabbing. Northern Mantis philosophy is that big fighters use power techniques and little fighters use speed techniques to defeat the opponent.

SOUTHERN PRAYING MANTIS
Has no resemblance to Northern Praying Mantis. An unremitting attack until the opponent gives up characterizes this style of Wushu. Opponent is given no opportunity to strike. Palm strikes, vital point attacks and the Phoenix Eye Fist are heavily relied upon.

CHOY LI FUT
Relies on powerful hand and arm techniques. Straight punch, back fist, uppercut, and hook punch are used. Oriental medicine and philosophy are also emphasized in this style of Wushu. Many full contact fighters follow this system.An early form of modern day Boxing.

TAI-CHI CHUAN (Wu Family Style)
Uses slow, circular, connecting movements. Students learn to yield so that the attacker is overcome by his own force. Practitioners can achieve great power in their techniques. In this style of Wushu, Chi is used to flow through the body while doing techniques, slow breathing and a clear mind are also emphasized. Each arm protects half of the body and the hands never reach farther forward than the toes.

PAQUA
This style has a reputation as a "Guerrilla-style" approach to fighting multiple opponents. Practitioners need to be able to handle simultaneous attacks from multiple opponents with or without weapons. Mobility, efficiency, and quickness are stressed in this Chinese art. Awareness of one's surroundings and zoning are also used/striking techniques are deadly and are used to cripple the opponent.

HSING-I CHUAN (Mind-Body Boxing)
Thought and action are unified in this style of Wushu. Linear aspect is applied with the philosophy that a fight should end as quickly as it began. Direct techniques are used, with the striking weapon moving straight to the target. Striking concepts are used such as closed fist, open hand and the Phoenix Eye which is a single-knuckle punch. Anticipation of an opponents attack is used.

BAK-HOO PAI (White Crane) & BAK-FU PAI (White Tiger)
Tiger and Crane Wushu encompasses all areas of combat, including hand and elbow strikes, kicks, takedowns, grappling, throws and holds. The White Crane style of Wushu is famous for its grabbing and seizing techniques. This style attacks at close range with the elbow never leaving the stomach. The White Tiger style of Wushu is famous for its healing and medicinal powers as well as fighting spirit and pride. This strong style of Wushu combined with White Crane makes a very well rounded practitioner.

EAGLE CLAW
This style of Wushu has some similarities to Jujitsu, with its reliance on joint-locks. Uses lethal striking points derived from acupuncture charts. Characterized by the claw hand "ying jiao" with fingers partially clenched. Kicks are used but mostly to block techniques.

NG GA KUEN (Five Family System)
This famous Wushu system was born out of legend that five monks in the Southern Sil Lum Temple mastered the five Ga, or family styles, each with its own strengths and Differences. Choy Ga, Hung Ga, Lau Ga, Lee Ga, and Mok Ga were the family styles. They took the best techniques from each of these styles.

NY YING GA (Five Animal System)
This style of Wushu is based on the movements of animals. Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Leopard, and Crane are the animals imitated. The practitioner takes the attributes and strengths from these and other animals and uses these techniques to defeat the opponent.

BAK MEI PAI (White Eyebrow)
Quick, explosive techniques with short and middle range preferred. Redirecting of opponentís energy is essential in this Chinese art. Phoenix Eye Fist is the only hand technique used. The practitioner waits for the opponent to make the first move, then counterattacks efficiently. Triangle footwork is used in this style.

NORTHERN SHAOLIN
This unique style of Wushu specializes in keeping the body relaxed and supple to generate strength, speed, and power. sComposed of multitudes of forms, which were inspired by animals, elements, and even incredible people in history who displayed exceptional martial arts skills. Techniques vary from the extremely fast striking hands of the Praying Mantis to the unpredictable evasive energy of the Monkey. Each form is considered its own system with its own set of hand and foot strikes, grappling, ect. This flowing style usually uses kicks over punches.

SOUTHERN SHAOLIN
This style of Wushu is different from Northern Shaolin. Northern Shaolin is elegant in its movement, whereas Southern Shaolin is stable and powerful. Southern Shaolin is known for its hand techniques and harder style. This style is also known for its thrust punches and Tiger Claw techniques.

PANAJAKMAN *
A style of kickboxing popular in the Philippines, specializing in low line kicks. Destroying the attacking limb is heavily relied upon in this art.

LAW HORN KUEN
This style of Wushu is characterized by its deceptive strikes, kicks, footwork, and takedowns. Uses long range movements and the confusing use of timing, space, speed and power. Techniques are practical and the use of fast focused strikes maximize energy efficiency. Deceptive footwork along with confusing angles of approach allows multiple target engagement while minimizing exposure.

CHIN NA
The art of seizing, a general term for Chinese grappling or wrestling arts. This style of Wushu emphasizes the ability to grasp and control the opponent. Techniques similar to vital point striking. Purpose is to stop an attack without injuring the opponent.

MONKEY STYLE
A style of Wushu based on the characteristic movements of Monkeys. This style relies upon tumbling and rolling techniques, plus confusing footwork. The opponent's attack is deflected, and the practitioner uses feints and unpredictable movements to defeat him. Broken rhythm is the basic fundamental in this style.

DRUNKEN STYLE
Thi style of Wushu appears to imitate a drunken practitioner, who lulls the opponent into thinking he or she can easily be overcome, thus using this strategy to defeat the opponent.

www.elitejkd.com

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A neat little trick I was taught by a friend was to learn to fight 'left-handed' as the majority of people lead with their right-side and anticipate their opponent to do the same.

It's a good bluff that has enabled me to defend myself and counter-strike to allow me a few valuable seconds to run like the wind from a dazed assailant and gain an advantageous position if they choose to pursue

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There is no one perfect art form. They all have their strengths and weakness's. You have to look at martial arts or fighting through a three-dimensional aspect. First you have the outside (which is far away from your opponent), you have in close (next to your oponent within punching distance), and on the ground. Most of the martial arts out there only practice one aspect of this three dimensional fighting, sometimes two at the most. But for someone to really grasp the concept of being a well rounded fighter I would suggest you learn from all aspects of martial arts and practice Mixed Martial Arts. I am not saying you go and practice the UFC stuff that you see on TV because that is truly not MMA.

Also there is way too much ego when it comes to anything UFC, and you want to try to stay away from that. But for instance some good martial arts combinations that take into effect all the three dimensions of martial arts would be:

Tang Su Do (Outside)
Tae Kwon do (outside)
Judo (inside)
Aikido (Inside)
Wrestling (ground)
Ju-Jitsu (ground)

Now those are just some of the art forms that I would "recommend" that you study upon. There is also another art form which predates back to Ancient Greece and Sparta. It is called Pankration. Pankration is like modern day UFC, but in the different aspect where there is a little less violence and it does cover all aspects and dimensions of martial arts.

Fight League (Pankration)

Pankration Overview

I would say that it is good to be very diverse when it comes to martial arts because most of the time a fight will cover all three dimensions of martial arts.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am studying Hong Kong and Fushan style Wing Chun as well as Fushan style Pai Mei at the moment, so these are the only ones I can speak of personally. I would definitely recommend learning the HK Wing Chun as it was developed as a street fighting style. Bruce Lee was actually a Wing Chun street fighter prior to creating Jeet Kune Do.

Personally I plan on learning brazilian jiu-jitsu as a ground fighting style, as well as escrima and dos pares for stick and knife fighting. Of course as it is I would also love to learn every other martial art in the world that has immediate practical applications (and not created for show), but I'm pretty limited to what I can learn based on where I live. The important thing to keep in mind that just because you train in a system doesn't mean you fight in a system. You yourself create your fighting technique based on the systems you've learned and adapted them to suit your body type. And just because someone is good at sparring doesn't mean they know how to fight! Sparring has tons of rules and restrictions that don't hold true in the real world. If you train to pull your punches and avoid hitting the head and groin then your muscles will be less likely to react quickly to strike those areas if you were in a life or death situation.

When it comes down to it train what you can based on where you're at. If you have a variety of styles to choose from and JKD is one of them I would definitely suggest checking it out, as it is what I believe to be the single most effective training style for practical street fighting.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join