It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest Inventions Of The Muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
All of the old societies have made great contributions to world society and culture. So hear are ten of the greatest inventions that the Muslim community has given the people of this world.

1. Coffee

The story goes that an Arab named Khalid was tending his goats in the Kaffa region of southern Ethiopia, when he noticed hi s animals became livelier after eating a certain berry. He boiled the berries to make the first coffee. Certainly the first record of the drink is of beans exported from Ethiopia to Yemen where Sufis drank it to stay awake all night to pray on special occasions. By the late 15th century it had arrived in Mecca and Turkey from where it made its way to Venice in 1645. It was brought to England in 1650 by a Turk named Pasqua Rosee who opened the first coffee house in Lombard Street in the City of London . The Arabic qahwa became the Turkish kahve then the Italian caffé and then English coffee.

2. Chess

A form of chess was played in ancient India but the game was developed into the form we know it today in Persia. From there i t spread westward to Europe - where it was introduced by the Moors in Spain in the 10th century - and eastward as far as Japan. The word rook comes from the Persian rukh, which means chariot.

3. Parachute

A thousand years before the Wright brothers a Muslim poet, astronomer, musician and engineer named Abbas ibn Firnas made several attempts to construct a flying machine. In 852 he jumped from the minaret of the Grand Mosque in Cordoba using a loose cloak stiffened with wooden struts. He hoped to glide like a bird. He didn't. But the cloak slowed his fall, creating what is thought to be the first parachute, and leaving him with only minor injuries. In 875, aged 70, having perfected a machine of silk and eagles' feathers he tried again, jumping from a mountain. He flew to a significant height and stayed aloft for ten minutes but crashed on landing - concluding, correctly, that it was because he had not given his device a tail so it would stall on landing. Baghdad international airport and a crater on the Moon are named after him.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by RedGolem]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
spellcheck yaself b4 ya wreck ya self

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
spellcheck yaself b4 ya wreck ya self

It seems I forgot to run it through the spell check, but still thanks for the responce.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Eh, that happens to me all the time, mostly, because I need a new keyboard, and my fingers are stubby and short.
AND I am a skimmer, so I miss typos when I proofread, but catch them as soon as I click post reply.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm not sure what a person's religion has to do with what was invented.

I know people of all faiths have been very inventive. People from all parts of the world have made advances in science, technology, agriculture, etc...

Pointing out a specific religious or racial aspect of the person that created something seems wrong.
I think that pride only contributes to the prejudice in our global society.

One world, one people........
The sooner we realize that the better off we'll all be.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I think that pride only contributes to the prejudice in our global society.

One world, one people........

Im not saying that religen has anything to do with it. I just happen to come across the and thought it was interesting information so I posted it.
I do like your coment and think its right.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
anxietydisorder some people (wont mention the names) have also refferd to muslims in general as useless and a group of people that have contributed nothing to the advancement of man.

on topic
nice one i have always wanted to craete one to reffrence back to when people make stupid comments

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Another great Muslim invention we can't forget is, of course, the camel saddle!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Another great Muslim invention we can't forget is, of course, the camel saddle!

Well I would have never thought of theh camel saddle but yes I am sure it is a great invenchen in its own right.
Thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

join