It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miracle Birth Of The Dragons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The Komodo Dragon named Flora will be expecting her first offspring without having had contact with the opposite sex. This is creating great excitement in the scientific community. The prosess of producing offspring without fertilization by some animals but is rare in vertebrate species. Flora produced eleven eggs in may of this year, three of which died early in incubation. The remaining eggs are expected to hatch in January after the incubation of seven to nine months.

www.telegraph.co.uk
Now scientists have discovered a Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis) is about to hatch eight little dragons, each and every one a virgin conception, representing a remarkable scientific nativity story.

Parthenogenesis, the production of offspring without fertilization by a male, is carried out by King Edward potatoes, bees and greenfly but is rare in vertebrate species.

Now Phillip Watts of Liverpool University and colleagues have used genetic fingerprinting to reveal that parthenogenetic offspring have been produced by Flora in Chester Zoo and by another female, Sungaï, in London Zoo. Flora and her sister Nessie are now the only two sexually mature dragons in Europe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looking at the picture of the Komodo Dragon you will see they are a very bizarre looking creator. I can see why have been called dragons. They are also a very rare creator, so I am glad that there might be 8 more of them about to be hatched. That they are the result of a miracle is just par for the coarse.
I was not aware that the Komodo Dragons have been in captivity until just recently. Perhaps someday there will be no need for captive breeding of the strange yet wonderful creator.

Related News Links:
news.nationalgeographic.com
www.bloomberg.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.radaronline.com

Komodo Dragons Are Not Real

fact book

[edit on 20-12-2006 by RedGolem]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
A very interesting find I didn't know that a species could reproduce without some variation of the conception process. You learn something new every day.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
A very interesting find I didn't know that a species could reproduce without some variation of the conception process. You learn something new every day.

xpert,
Yes a wonderfull thing about haveing acess to this wealth of information is that you can learn something new ever day!!
Thanks for your responce

new topics

join