It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stewardess banned from carrying Bible !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Why does the entire world have to bend. Saudis traveling to non muslim countries don't leave behind the Koran,but why should they? Instead the force other countries to accommodate them. And the PC handwringers are quick to jump for them. Whats next,convert before entry. Why should the entire world have to change for them. If a non Muslim country confiscated a Koran and destroyed it.....well lets just say heads would roll, worldwide.

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2006/12/20/nbib le20.xml

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If I saw a stewardess carrying a bible I'd be wondering what's wrong with the plane!!

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I thought they were called "flight attendants" now. But I almost agree with both of you if that possible.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Whaaa,
like you,I almost have to agree with both of these posters. I think that it is interesting that while we are supposedly fighting to keep our way of life, we seem to be giving it up. It's funny that we live in a society where we have to watch what we say and do because we might "offend" somebody.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

A second airline is embroiled in a religious row after a stewardess decided to take bmi to an employment tribunal because it refused to allow her to carry a Bible on flights to Saudi Arabia.

Taking a Bible to Saudia Arabia?

You are seriously jumping the gun on this one. It has nothing to do with political correctness. Its to do with protecting their staff.

The airline is protecting their staff because in Saudia Arabia, which holds Mecca (the Home of Islam), does have a "bad record" when dealing with Christians and Jews.

She could of ended up loosing her head (excuse my choice of words) over there...which has happened in the past.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
People, it's illegal to carry a bible in Saudi Arabia. Like it or not, that's their law. I don't see anyone crying about not being allowed to have a side of bacon on the plane...

Customs officials routinely open mail and shipments to search for contraband, including Sunni printed material deemed incompatible with the Salafi tradition of Islam, Shi'a religious materials, and non-Muslim materials, such as Bibles and religious videotapes. Such materials are subject to confiscation, although rules appear to be applied arbitrarily.
Source

Their laws might seem strange to us and I'm sure ours seem strange to them, but if you want to go into the country, you'll have to follow their laws and leave your religious paraphernalia and your pork chops at home.

From the original source:

he Foreign Office website informs travellers to Saudi Arabia: "The importation and use of narcotics, alcohol, pork products and religious books, apart from the Koran, and artefacts are forbidden."

Are you all suggesting that another country should bend to your way of thinking and allow Americans to break their laws? Are you willing to do the same for them? Think about this for a moment without the blinders of American superiority on. Imagine we're equal to other countries and that they have a right to make their own laws and demand that anyone coming into their country must abide by them.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well ... shouldn't she be busy doing her job .. too busy to read? I would think that since she's 'on the job' that she shouldn't be reading when she should be taking care of passengers.

She can check the bible in with her luggage. Put it in with her clothing.
Read it in the hotel. Common sense.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Are you all suggesting that another country should bend to your way of thinking and allow Americans to break their laws? Are you willing to do the same for them? Think about this for a moment without the blinders of American superiority on. Imagine we're equal to other countries and that they have a right to make their own laws and demand that anyone coming into their country must abide by them.

No, the point is other countries have,are bending for them. Countries are willing to do this for them, it is most prevalent in the UK. But don't worry the US is right behind. When Muslims immagrate to a non muslim country, they expect change,not them of course,but the country they move to.
Of course they have a right to make their own laws,and to expect compliance. But the point is they never waiver,no leeway,then on the other hand they demand everybody else change to accommodate them.Thats the point. I'll repeat let a non-Muslim country confiscate, destroy a koran and it's Jihad,people will be killed. And if she wants to carry a pocket Bible,and not wave it around,while transfering planes,is it that big a deal?

Links:www.dailymail.co.uk... ticles/news/news.html?in_article_id=423111&in_page_id=1770

url]source

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdang
No, the point is other countries have,are bending for them.

So, that automatically obligates them to change their laws for us? No.

Of course they have a right to make their own laws,and to expect compliance. But the point is they never waiver,no leeway,then on the other hand they demand everybody else change to accommodate them.

Can you cite instances of "everybody changing to accomodate them"? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to see examples.

I'll repeat let a non-Muslim country confiscate, destroy a koran and it's Jihad,people will be killed.

That's because it's not against the law to carry a koran. Let them bring illegal drugs or weapons or other illegal substance into the US and see how fast we confiscate it.

And if she wants to carry a pocket Bible,and not wave it around,while transfering planes,is it that big a deal?

If it's against the law, then it doesn't matter if it's in her pocket or tucked away in her bags or concealed even more securely. She's breaking the law.

And the story on the halal? I have to laugh! Parents have been feeding their children meat from animals with NO CLUE or concern how they were killed in the slaughterhouse and now all of a sudden, they think they should be informed? How many of those same parents could tell you how a chicken or cow is raised or killed for their babies to enjoy? And now, they hear the words Muslim and Jewish and they're all up in arms?

People make me laugh!

I don't agree with halal, myself, but the hypocricy shown by these parents is pretty funny.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

And the story on the halal? I have to laugh! Parents have been feeding their children meat from animals with NO CLUE or concern how they were killed in the slaughterhouse and now all of a sudden, they think they should be informed? How many of those same parents could tell you how a chicken or cow is raised or killed for their babies to enjoy? And now, they hear the words Muslim and Jewish and they're all up in arms?

People make me laugh!

I don't agree with halal, myself, but the hypocricy shown by these parents is pretty funny.

If the Muslims and the Jewish had found out that they had been eating non-halal food for seventeen years , it would'nt be a laughing matter now would it? Yes the parents should have been told,this was done only for religious reasons,if they switched to non-halal meat now and did'nt say anything,and later found out, you can imagine the reaction.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by rdang]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Their laws might seem strange to us and I'm sure ours seem strange to them, but if you want to go into the country, you'll have to follow their laws and leave your religious paraphernalia and your pork chops at home.

So I am curious as to why we seem to feel we need to accomadate them in our country, shouldn't they adapt to our way of life?

Obvious double standard.

I am curious, what country did this happen? Britain?

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
So I am curious as to why we seem to feel we need to accomadate them in our country, shouldn't they adapt to our way of life?

I'm curious, too. I don't necessarily agree with how accomodating we are, especially with things like the halal meat. If they want a specially prepared meat, especially for religious reasons, then they should do it themselves or find a butcher who does it that way.

But for a (public?) school to make a change like that on religious grounds is a nasty smudging of the line between church and state.

But we do live in a country that practices religious freedoms, which I agree with. They don't.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
You know what, trying to state this without sounding "hateful," but the reason why we accomodate them is because if we don't they raise ten kinds of hell about it.
Maybe they'll bomb another one of our buildings. Yeah, it's the religion of "peace" though.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hey, it is the religion of peace, SoT, what are you implying? As others have said, Islam is a dynamite religion!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
She is more then free to choose not to travel to Saudi Arabia with her company. They are protecting her.

I traveled once on an Islamic airline to the ME and they did not serve alchohol on the flight... so guess what? I took another carrier next time. Its not so hard to do.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

I traveled once on an Islamic airline to the ME and they did not serve alchohol on the flight... so guess what? I took another carrier next time. Its not so hard to do.

You are very tolerant, The Muslims would scream racism,and demand accommodation.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdang

You are very tolerant, The Muslims would scream racism,and demand accommodation.

I wasn't aware of any Christian countries that ban the importation of any other religious texts. Why would a Muslim have to scream about racism? The only way I would see a Muslim demanding accomodation would be if it was a female flight attendant and she was being told to remove her Hijab. Other then that why would a muslim have a problem?

Pie

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
She is more then free to choose not to travel to Saudi Arabia with her company. They are protecting her.

Hi PieMan - not really. A flight attendant is given a schedule and especially if you're at the bottom of the list seniority-wise, then you really get all the cruddy flights. For the 6 years that I was a flight attendant, I never had Christmas off, ever.

And I do agree with you, they're protecting her. When I went to the former Soviet Union back in 1977, they didn't allow illegal drugs and alot of other things. But I was traveling, so when in Rome do as the Romans do, it's simple respect for another culture's religion and customs. It's their country, they can run it anyway they want. I don't care if a million Muslims march on Washington for the right to practice various aspects of their religion, it still doesn't make it right to travel to another country and ignore their customs. The fact that many Americans do travel abroad and demand that everything be American-like, is why the name "Ugly American" came into existence. I mean, it's not as if we Americans don't complain about things when we travel abroad. The airline is trying to protect its employees and I'm sure they don't want to lose the contract with Saudi Arabia, so they're trying to comply. IMO, I think she should comply, although I do sympathize with her wanting to read her Bible on her layover - after all, there's really not anything to do on a layover in Arabia, I can see where she'd want to read her Bible. But you make those accomodations when you work in the work world, I know I've had to. It's not as if they're asking her to renounce her religion or anything very serious like that. If it were me, I'd probably ask for a copy of the Koran in English so I could become more familiar with the customs, religion, etc.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
If I saw a stewardess carrying a bible I'd be wondering what's wrong with the plane!!

That reminds me of a (supposedly) true story I heard from a family friend lady who was a flight attendant for Eastern Airlines years ago...she got on the announcement microphone to give her rehearsed safety speech and somehow she started saying some Catholic litany like "Oh Father, for we have sinned..." etc. Obviously that wasn't very comforting to the passengers.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Hi PieMan - not really. A flight attendant is given a schedule and especially if you're at the bottom of the list seniority-wise, then you really get all the cruddy flights. For the 6 years that I was a flight attendant, I never had Christmas off, ever.

Hi Forestlady
I appreciate the explanation. I figured if it came down to it , that before any insult or injury came to the airline they would possibly offer her a change of route. They have a lot of competition with Emirate airlines more then likely which is probably one of the more Premier airlines in the world that service that area. Its possible they may just dump them rather then have attention called to this little mess. As big as Barbara Walters is, even she wore a Veil over her head when interviewing the new King. As you said "When in Rome".

Pie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join