It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians I Need Your Advice (RE: Message)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I received a message through a preacher today. It comes at a time when I have been very active in the “Religious Forums”. As some of you know I haven’t entered into theological debate for some time, maybe a year. Recently I had become fairly passionate about defending Christianity.

There was a time when I really enjoyed these debates because:

1) I was learning through conflict by study and research

2) I was defending my faith and sharing the word

Back to the message I received today. The timing makes me think it was divinely inspired.

It was this:

“Sometimes it’s best for a Christian to STAND on his faith rather than preaching his faith”

When this message was given to me I was floored because of the debates I was currently engaged in. These debates have been going on for maybe 5 days, make no mistake they were very passionate.

What does this message mean to you?

[edit on 12/20/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You have being doing the right thing.

My interpretation is that he is meerly saying that you shouldn't arrogantly go out looking for trouble or causing trouble with your faith.

Protecting your faith and 'enlightening' other people is a different matter.

But then again, I am no longer a christian, so you can disregard what I have said if you like...

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Your comments are certainly welcome Gear, thank you.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Everything has it's time and place. There is a time to defend, there is a time to preach, and there is a time to remain silent and teach by your actions. Remember that some people are very angry with the Lord, so much so that anything you say, true or not, will fuel the fire of their hatred and that is something that you don’t want to be responsible for.

This, I believe, is one of the reasons for the not throwing pearls at swine verse. Not only will someone who has not accepted the passion not understand the word of God completely and therefore not benefit from hearing the words but it may also harden their hearts. We all know from personal experience that it requires faith and the guidance of the Holy Spirit to get the most out of the word of God, which is why Christ said he spoke in parables, and Paul said he did not try to convert by arguing with the wisdom of men, but only relaying the story of Christ’s death and resurrection. For how, said Paul, can we possibly use wise words to compete with the ultimate actions of the Christ?

[edit on 20-12-2006 by cavscout]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I see so much wisdom in your post cavscout. That line of thinking is exactly what I felt when I received the message.

The message just smacked me in the face considering all the "battles" I was finding myself in recently. I doubt it was a coincidence.

It says that there are times when we should simply “stand on faith” or show our faith through action letting faith do the “talking” rather than letting our own ego or desire to fight the good fight turn people away from the “word”.

It’s saying that we can actually do more harm to our faith by getting into constant heated debate because that can turn people away from the teachings in the Bible even though we are trying to defend and share God’s word.

cavscout expressed it much better than I but the lines of thought are the same.

Anyone else have any other opinions?

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

2 Tim 2:23-26 (ESV)

It's interesting you bring this up, because I just read that section of second Timothy yesterday and was thinking about it quite a bit. The question you need to ask yourself is why. Why were you defending your faith? I've found myself in the past defending my faith because I feel offended for God at some of the accusation made by some. That, I've come to understand, is arrogance at one of its highest levels. I feel offended for God, so I'm going to step in and defend Him?
When I think back on all the things I've done to offend Him, and the fact that He still left Heaven, came to Earth, and died for my offense, it's clear to me that He is big enough to not need someone so wretched as myself defending Him.

On the other hand, if your goal is educating, correcting incorrect perceptions of who God is with kindness and gentleness, you are following His Word. When we take it all too personally, as in an attack against my God is an attack against me, we can react in anger, trading foolish words and starting controversies. When, instead, we see ourselves as just a beggar trying to show another beggar where to find food, that anger is replaced with compassion.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Thank you, cavscout. You are absolutely right.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
The question you need to ask yourself is why. Why were you defending your faith?

Thanks for your insight JJ. It's always spot on.

To be perfectly honest with myself I must admit that I was defending and debating because I was tired (over the last year) of seeing such hatred and ugly attacks being directed at good Christians. As I said earlier I stopped posting in the religious forums for the last year because I found that it angered me and it was no longer a source of good “food” for me.

There was a time when I got a lot out of the religious forum because it sparked thought, it would force me to read and research passages and messages in the Bible. I grew in faith because of it, I shared that faith.

At some point that turned and there was much more hate and anger in the forums. That’s when I decided to stop posting.

Last week I found myself saying “THAT’S ENOUGH!” and I went in with a sword and shield, I was going to take no more.

I see now…That’s where I went wrong.

No doubt the message I received had a lot to do with my recent behavior here....and I apologize for that and recognize that God has put me back on the right path. I will need to explore the reason why I felt it necessary for me to take up that attitude and defend.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
“Sometimes it’s best for a Christian to STAND on his faith rather than preaching his faith”

What does this message mean to you?

This is beautiful.

I understand that I am one of the people involved in the heated debate, and maybe I'm not welcome in this thread, but I thought I'd let my feelings be known anyway. As a mod, you can delete this post if you feel it's appropriate.

It seems to me that it's better for anyone of any faith to stand on their faith. Live by their faith if they choose, but not preach that faith. If it is really the truth, then people will come to it naturally. There is no need to "convert". This need to convert is what angers me he most about the faith. It sems to be an attempt to raffirm the faith in onesself by convincing others that it is right. For the truly faithful, this shouldn't be needed. As a matter of fact, Christianity is the only religion that does this.

Anyway. If you truly have faith, keep it, and stand on it. If you feel the need to preach to those who don't want to hear it, sit on it.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Don't get too excited Rasobasi420, it said "Sometimes".

But seriously your comments are always welcome.

[edit on 12/20/2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What a beautiful thread this was! How great it is when we don’t need a brick building to come together in Christ. Maybe we do spend just a little too much time tending to the world and not enough time tending to the church. Maybe we forget just how hard the walk through the narrow gate can be and neglect to help lift up our brothers, and all of us need lifting up constantly, its just part of being human. Maybe a little more “standing in the faith” will allow us, the church, to help each other to stand as well.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm receiving so many messages today, praise God:

From Jesus' Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 5:11-12

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

[edit on 12/21/2006 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

join