It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots to Have Rights, Says UK Government

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i thought about this i a post i did on BAE's new UAV about how computers will possibly get rid of pilots.few days ago

There was bbc 2 horizen program about AI and how acording to the law that processing power will double every year or so were about 30 away from supassing the human brain

it also coverd the UNIbomber ,id heard of him but didnt know what he was about,he was trying to stop advancement of technology,
one guy on the program said in 100 years or so he maybe considerd a hero,cos if AI does become manevolent and turns on us then we will wish we never made it

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

about AI and how acording to the law that processing power will double every year or so were about 30 away from supassing the human brain

I believe you are reffering to Morres law, which states that
computer processing power doubles every 18 months.

Interestingly enough though, Moore's law will cease to be in
effect by 2020-2025, as we will not be able to successfully
keep miniaturizing our silicon chips.

Now, on to the article/story.

I think this is a good thing, I personally think that any and all
sentient beings should be afforded the same rights as any
other sentient being.
If you kill a sentient AI, or a Dolphin or an Elephant, than the
same lwast that apply to killing a human should be used.

The resistance to such an idea really reminds me of the old
days of slavery, when white people did'nt consider black people
to be human, and thusly did'nt treat them as such.
And of course we know to day that it does'nt matter what
colour your skin is, we are all human, and thusly all equal.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmHungry
I agree. Any intelligence deserves respect for it to do what it is capable of doing. We have much to learn from artificial intelligence.

Oooohhhhkay! No insult to you IAmHungry, but this has to be one of the most ............. this is the s-........... this has to be one of the strangest things that I have ever heard. How can we learn from artificial intelligence if we are the ones who created it in the first place? It is like the other post that says that a robot's morality must be greater than man's. If we are the creators of these robots, the best that we can hope for is to make their intelligence or morality from the best of ours. As far as the man who wrote this report, isn't he putting the cart before the horse? To be perfectly honest I still think that Mr. Asimov took care of this issue a long time ago. How about we wait until we get to the point where we outgrow Mr Asimov's laws and then we might have a better idea of how to deal with this issue. With everything else going on in the world somebody has to raise this issue now. Talk about being out of touch with reality...............

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well I've always been of the belief that in the event that we do create robots that are sentient that they should have the same rights as humans.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Originally posted by rachel07
If they are created with a conciousness than they would have to have rights. Then how do you give a machine a consceince? You would have to give it a set of values and to know the difference between right and wrong and to be able to express free will.

This is a good question and one that merits some hefty consideration. First though, one must decide what exactly is a conscience? Is it morality? Ethics? A system of rules and standards as to how we treat each other overall?

Just to clear up any ambiguity, being conscious and having a conscience are two entirely different things.

Lets not confuse the matter.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Actually Google has an excellant video called Building Gods rough cut That would shed some light on the subject.

I also agree that Asimov did a bang up job with the three laws of robots. They go something like:

1 A robot can never harm a human being.

2. A robot can never allow harm to come to a human being by inaction.

3. A robot can not allow harm to come to itself unless it violates the first or second law.

Or something along those lines. Still, this is an interesting conversation

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Will a human face capital punishment for murdering a Robot?

Will there be anti-discrimination statutes in support of mechanical citizens?

Will we be prevented from depicting the graphic destruction of robots in our television and movies, or our video games?

Will we have to endure the cultures and subcultures these robots construct for themselves? Their popular music, their retarded clothes? Or can we just shut them down if they start rapping?

This whole thing makes me very uncomfortable. Thank God it'll be a hundred and fifty years before we have a functional AI. And don't tell me differently; the approximations we have today are so indescribably far from true artificial intelligence that we're kidding ourselves if we really think sentient machines are right around the corner.

Personally I don't think consciousness will come from a silicon substrate in any of our lifetimes, if ever. It just requires too much complexity for us to accomplish with transistors. Human intelligence is far from being binary in nature.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
Will a human face capital punishment for murdering a Robot?

Probably, though capital punishment is bad IMO.

Will there be anti-discrimination statutes in support of mechanical citizens?

Yes.

Will we be prevented from depicting the graphic destruction of robots in our television and movies, or our video games?

We show that with our own species, so I don't doubt it.

This whole thing makes me very uncomfortable. Thank God it'll be a hundred and fifty years before we have a functional AI. And don't tell me differently; the approximations we have today are so indescribably far from true artificial intelligence that we're kidding ourselves if we really think sentient machines are right around the corner.

While I agree with you, they won't be here in the next decade,
most scientists agree it will probably be about 40 more years
before the first true AI, that are sentient and self-aware exist.

Personally I don't think consciousness will come from a silicon substrate in any of our lifetimes, if ever. It just requires too much complexity for us to accomplish with transistors. Human intelligence is far from being binary in nature.

I agree, it most likely won't be made of silicon, atleast, that
won't be it's core substrate.

I suspect the AI of the future will use quantum computers,
or bio/DNA computers, or perhaps both.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What about superintelligence?

Source Link

A superintelligence is any intellect that is vastly outperforms the best human brains in practically every field, including scientific creativity, general wisdom, and social skills.[1] This definition leaves open how the superintelligence is implemented – it could be in a digital computer, an ensemble of networked computers, cultured cortical tissue, or something else.

It is one thing to think about the possible implications of robots who at some point may be able to think, act, and feel like human beings.

What about those robots or AI systems that will surpass all forms of human Brain functions.

How do we humans prevent ourselves from being totally obsolete, and logically deleted?

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am now convinced that many scientists have way to much time on their hands and watched far too much Star Trek.

I wonder what or who paid for this stupid study? Just thinking that some day according to these (cough) learned scientists machines will be able to sue humans

I can see it all now---- Resistance is futile; we will assimilate you humans Yours Truly, the Borg, AKA the Mad scientists who want to control the masses.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
What about those robots or AI systems that will surpass all forms of human Brain functions.

How do we humans prevent ourselves from being totally obsolete, and logically deleted?

Shock thought!!!

Suppose we create AI that surpasses us, remove ourselves from the picture then study, learn and grow from our creation.

Imagine for a moment that this is the reason God created us.

mrwupy

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
WTF is this world comming to? nevermind that robots don't deserve rights, considering they are metal. Even if it was given a "concience" per say...that concience was PROGRAMMED by someone. He knows what to do because he has coding in his machinery that tells him what to do. he's not an orgainism. AT best he is a skilled toaster oven. Dogs and Cats deserve more rights than any "living" robot should have. Because at the same time, who cares about a stupid peice of machine?

And who thinks it's a good idea to build smart robots? Why do we need robots to do the things that humans cabn do? Well as much as i'd like to see the NWO robot societ, unfortunatley in 2056 i'll probly be on my last 10 or so years of life...so i'll be to old and decrepent to care.

but dam man, the world is gonna be a horrible place to live in 100 years from now.

oh and for the record, i'll never do time in jail for "murdering" a robot!

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, Iori, and for sharing your thoughts.

Originally posted by iori_komei
I suspect the AI of the future will use quantum computers,
or bio/DNA computers, or perhaps both.

I thought about quantum computers in the context of AI... they certainly show potential well beyond the technology we're using now. If quantum uncertainty can be harnessed to its full potential for use as part of a machine language to replace binary, it will bring us closer to at least theoretically being able to replicate the processing power of a sentient mind.

I do think it'll be quite a while before quantum or organic computers are truly viable technologies, though. I respect the increasing pace of technological development, and I fully support the theory of a technological 'singularity' in our species' future; however, I also recognize that the advancements we are discussing will require several great leaps of understanding in the computer, quantum/physical, and biological sciences.

Someday, we'll have machines that think... but first I think we'll need (more and better) machines to help us think more effectively. I just don't know whether modern Homo sapiens is equipped to understand its own sentience to the extent that it can create a duplicate from scratch.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I say since we created robots, they may end up inevitably worshipping us as Gods if they evolved sentient thinkign similar to our own during the primitive times of humantiy. God created Man, and then Man began multiplying on his own. When the robots begin multiplying on their own, Humans will go the way of God(s).

"The theoretical existence of Human can niether be proven nor disproven, but our faith keeps us strong and many of robotkind continue to believe in the fairy tales of the great creator. The Great Manual was written over 4000 years ago by machines who knew nothing of their world. Why should we allow such anchient thinking to guide our civilization? Now if only we can convince all robots that such fairy-tales are the cause of all missery suffered in the world, and the very thought should be cleansed from our fellow bot"

So, does this sound very likely at all?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
while it is true that any 'intellect' would initially be programmed into them, once they grew beyond their code and actually thoguht for themselves and had a real intellect...who are we to tell them they have no rights? slavery is slavery regardless of the subjects.

the simple solution is to NOT create thinking robots and ONLYl create machines programmed for specific purposes. if we are not ready to deal with our creations, then we have no business creating them.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
and shouldn't we be according all humans equal rights before conferring this onto our robot creations? There's millions of people in the world who would appreciate that I'm sure.

And what about bot hackers, chipping the bots for zero conscience?

and these bots with the right of compulsory military service. How are these bots going to deal with Asimovs laws? They won't will they? they'll be killing machines.

It will all go Philip K. Dick quickly, like the story about the mutant that 'evolves' and escapes. We're creating things now we have no capability of truly understanding or dealing with. Like the mini-sun, mini-black holes, nano particles, genetic crossbreed spiderbrained exoskeletal supersoldiers. oh my!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

There is likely no there, there.

Given the way we treat our fellow humans- let alone the rest of the animal kingdom- how many rights and protections will we really grant our dishwashers?

Not.

[edit on 21-12-2006 by loam]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spawwwn
WTF is this world comming to? nevermind that robots don't deserve rights, considering they are metal. Even if it was given a "concience" per say...that concience was PROGRAMMED by someone. He knows what to do because he has coding in his machinery that tells him what to do. he's not an orgainism. AT best he is a skilled toaster oven. Dogs and Cats deserve more rights than any "living" robot should have. Because at the same time, who cares about a stupid peice of machine?

And who thinks it's a good idea to build smart robots? Why do we need robots to do the things that humans cabn do? Well as much as i'd like to see the NWO robot societ, unfortunatley in 2056 i'll probly be on my last 10 or so years of life...so i'll be to old and decrepent to care.

but dam man, the world is gonna be a horrible place to live in 100 years from now.

oh and for the record, i'll never do time in jail for "murdering" a robot!

Excellent post my friend. I commend you WATS. I especially will not do time for "murdering" a robot. But hey. We'll be dead before the world is taken by AI. You are %infinite true that we have got to pay better respect towards wildlife than a piece of metal that contributes to pollution. The problem is, the bloody government are to damn greedy to solve environmental issues.

INFACT TAKE A LOOK AT THE TITLE "SAYS UK GOVERNMENT" its right there. They support the product because, it gives them the greens. PATHETIC. WTH R WE WAITING FOR?! If only we can all unite and knock the parliaments door down and arrest those criminals.

7A

[edit on 21-12-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Can you create a SOUL !?!?!?! What makes you different from Animals !?!?! What makes us different from other Mammals !?!?! THey have brains and feelings !?!? Yet, we still eat them ... and hunt them for food and ALWAYS HAVE !!! Before long people will be setting laws that Animals have feelings and we don't need to be eating our ancestors or what not .. All I can say is WOW !!!! .. WoW !!! WoW !!!!!

Originally posted by rachel07
If they are created with a conciousness than they would have to have rights. Then how do you give a machine a consceince? You would have to give it a set of values and to know the difference between right and wrong and to be able to express free will.

Also, it seems strange that Robots Rights are being considered when so many Human rights are being eroded. It would be a strange world if Robots had more rights than those who created them.

They would in my opinion have to literally put a brain inside a robot, but that doesn't guarantee conciousness.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A question for theologians

If humans create an artificial 'being' with real intellect, and perhaps even real consciousness, have we created a being with a soul?

If so, has mankind made a mockery of God?

Has mankind become the Creator?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join