It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nationwide helium shortages?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
A friend of mine went to get some balloons for her partners birthday a few weeks ago and was told by many people that thier was a nationwide shortage on helium. Why would we have a shortage on helium?

Someone else brought to my attention that helium had been used in the first Atomic Bombs. I did some research on it and found out that the government was trying to mass produce helium-3 for things such as rocket fuel. What I read stated that:

"Helium-3 is the fuel for a form of nuclear fusion that, in theory, could provide us with a clean, virtually infinite power source."

With everything that has hapened in the past few years this all seems a little too convenient. What do you think?

www.wired.com...

Excell Helium Plant

[edit on 20-12-2006 by Inanna]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I saw this thread, and it inspired me to do a simple Google search with the terms "helium shortage"...

This yielded a number of rather disconcerting articles discussing a coming helium shortage... and all of these were from 2001 or 2000. It would seem that the shortage has arrived.

Not a world-shattering occurrence, but one that will have a number of subtle repercussions. I guess that their full extent remains to be seen... what will become of the Macy's thanksgiving parade? the Super Bowl blimp? children's birthday decorations?

it's the little discords like this that interest me.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Birthday balloons and blimps don't concern me. It is what is being done with the helium that worries me.

I know that scientists for the government are always trying to put the U.S ahead of everyone else as far as warfare. I am sure that we have bombs "in stock", but how many bombs does it take to put the nnation on a helium shortage?

In the World Wars the people were shorted on every day things, like frabric, and pantyhose were a creation. This just is starting to seem like a repeat of the past. What will we get in place of the helium?

mi5

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The government experimented with helium bombs but inevitably they just floated away when the airman responsible let go of the string. His mommy has promised to buy him another one

Actually its far from the truth that its governments depleting the helium. Infact there have been recently many violent crimes by people who cannot get enough helium to fuel their nasty habit of breathing it in and speaking in a silly voice.
Crowds of up to 10 helium adicts all talking in mickey mouse voices have been hassling shoppers and mugging people - its not the helium theyre addicted to but the crazy laughs it gives theswe irresponsible teenagers. Many passers by have been affacted when unsuspecting shoppers walked into a cloud of it at a tescos and everyone laughed their tits off at how funny they all sounded - Britain is awash with the helium sniffers

well thats my attempt at humour for the day

[edit on 21-12-2006 by mi5]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Mi5 -

I think you're right. Here in the states, we've got a massive infestation of hippies and frat boys who huff helium for kicks as well. Now, I'm not saying atomic physicists don't have their little parties, but...I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

A Macy's Thnaksgiving Day Parade without ballons might incite a riot.

SAVE OUR GAS BAGS!

Someone should really look into this deeper...

[edit on 21-12-2006 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
if people actually read the stories , not just skim the headline and speculate

they would realise that helium shortages are due to plant shut downs and maintainece schedules - no sinister conspiracy .

furthermore , helium 3 canot be sythesised from helium4 - so how the hell would any helium3 project imact helium4 supplies ??????????

lastly , inhaling " industrial grade " gases can be harmfull - as their purity is lower , and they can contain lubricant oils and contaminants

helium for dive mixes costs [ here in the uk ] over 3 times as much as an equivilant industrial cylinder for ballooons etc

[edit on 21-12-2006 by ignorant_ape]

mi5

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
These helium sniffers dont care as long as they get the mickey mouse voice - its ruining health and lives over here in the uk

Actually if theres a shortage I'd better go and see my dealer
Dont want to be dry for christmas - got to get a laugh huh?

youre right about them frat boys - my dealers a scientist too

new topics

top topics

join