It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HD Rabbit Audio: Vietnam History - Episode 2 - Next Stop Is Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

PODcast: Vietnam History - Episode 2 - Next Stop Is Vietnam

This is an outstanding 9 Episode audio documentary that was sent to me recently from a Vietnam Historian that was also a big fan of Radio First Termer. It takes the listener on a journey from the hopeful beginning of President John F. Kennedy to the bitter end on a rooftop of the American Embassy in 1975. What could we have learned that would have prevented the mistakes that would follow after in Iraq? Listen… then make your own conclusions.

length: 39:21
file: btshpod_2080.mp3
size: 13838k
feed: btsh

[edit on 12/20/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Hi-Dave--

GREAT PodCast!!

'Nam was "my" War; I'm a combat vet, and this episode precedes my time in hell by only 4 months or so. I fully remember being briefed and reading the IRs on NaDrang and LZ X-ray. I was in Nam 1 year, 9 months, and 11 days. My first duty station was in the Parrot's Beak near An Loc, and later I would be transferred to I Corp to work with the Marine CACs.

More than any other thing, the most impactive memory I have of that time is that I was never really allowed to do my job--what I and we were all trained to do. None of us were, and that is the real tragedy. This is the number one reason 'Nam turned out the way it did.

Lessons we learned relative to our involvement in Iraq? Of the thousands that could be applied on all the levels--one stands out--and it is: The United States should never involve itself in, or go to, War without defining a clear Military Objective toward which war is prosecuted. This is what a soldier needs to fight effectively, and what a Country needs to support his effort. In 'Nam, we had neither--we just followed orders, day to day, place to place, and with no clear Idea what our overall Mission and Objective was. What we were told of that changed every week or so. We just "did" and tried to survive as best we could.

What I have said above marks the major difference between WWII and every war and action we have fought since. Every soldier and airman and sailor in WWII new what the Objective was and they knew what their Mission, their part of it, was and how it fit into the Big Picture.

In defining clear Military Objective, it is understood that there can be NO Political Objective---that always comes "after" and not before or during a Military Action. Politicians are as ill fit to run a War as Generals are to be Law Makers. It is time we learned that. The greatest mistake we ever made in America is to allow the use of Military Forces to further Political ends-- it's happened--is happening--and we need to bring it to a screeching halt.

Thanks, Dave -- for a great Podcast-- I want the rest of them.

[edit on 20-12-2006 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ed....

I really related to them myself.... although my three tours in the Air Force were no where near what you guys had to deal with...... I just finished listening to the last one last night.... and will, over the next few days have them all up. The one that had the most impact on me relates to the "Hamburger Hill" battle. Hearing these guys tell their stories..... sends shudders up my spine. But as you and I both know..... those that simply listen will NEVER KNOW unless they were there with you, I and the thousands of others that went and came back..... or not. The other one that is really impactful is the one called POW. The last one, is strictly from a Marine perspective called "A Day In The Nam".

Please pass along this series to anyone you think will appreciate it. It is HERE on ATS and on Pod-O-Matic.

Thanks.... more coming soon.

Dave

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Equally well done::::::::::::::::::::

Hey First Termer....

I started listening to these about 5 days ago, and finished up today (Christmas Day)...

The series is extremely well put together... I have to say that
it moved me in a bit of depression after awhile and I had to stop
and take a break from listening and do something else to take my mind off of it...

A tremendous documentary which sounds as if it should've been a TV Production.

I hope you don't mind.. But I'm just going to copy and paste this post in all the series episodes as I really don't know what more I could say about them.

Great production...

Johnny

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This episode takes the listener from the ADVISOR scenario and the clandestine operations of the military.... into the full deployment of United States troops in Vietnam.

Dave

new topics

top topics

join