It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The small arm of the future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Isn't the whole project going to end up like the ACR and SPIW projects? Most of you guys agreed that OICW isn't a weapon great as it is told.

Shouldn't the US government do something like the French (the FAMAS/FELIN) or ihe Izraeli (Tavor OICW), an electronic aiming system added to a relatively good weapon (I think this would make the M16 (M16/M203) an even more effective weapon, still lighter and much better than the OICW.

Anyway, I always thought of the G11 as the best assault rifle ever

Too bad it all ended this way

And one more thing: can any of you guys give me links to any sites about the SPIW? (except the gun zone article), I especially mean photos.

[Edited on 22-11-2003 by Johnny]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
When you mention SPIW and ACR, do you mean a specific weapon within those programs or the projects alone?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I thought that the Gov't already had something like that in the works, or like, out to Delta Force folk, or something like that.

It's supposed to have like, 6 or 7 different firing modes, with shotgun shells, normal AR bullets, and small ordinance (grenades or something like that)

With a small computer screen that has Infrared, and targetting/ threat assessment software...

I don't know...saw it on discovery channel once...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRadicalEd
When you mention SPIW and ACR, do you mean a specific weapon within those programs or the projects alone?

If I ment a specific weapon when talking abouth the ACR I would use names: Colt ACR or G11. If I ment the entire programme, I would say "ACR Project".
I don't know exact names of the weapons tested in the SPIW project, that's why I ask you for info.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The OICW it's a fancy piece of kit that would be rendered useless by a scalar EM weapon. The hapless yanks using them would then have to surrender.

Seriously, though, it looks like a mean weapon, which could turn the lowliest grunt into a crack shot.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Got any OICW pics? I have seen it in COmputer games b4

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monk

These are recently shown and somewhat... boring.

Cool stuff could be found on:
www.hkpro.com...
And if you are interested in it's previous concepts check this out:
www.dean.usma.edu...

There are some other pictures out there... But I can't remember.

Oh, and that's a page with nice pics- pretty cool, rarely seen stuff (and updated since I last opened it!), unfortunetly I don't even know what language it's written in...
dboy.cpgl.net...
dboy.cpgl.net...

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by Johnny]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny

www.hkpro.com...
And if your'e interested in it's previous concepts check this out:
www.dean.usma.edu...

That's not a good weapon...

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salem

I know that... That's why I think it should end like the SPIW project (today, the OICW has same problems as this one 40 years ago...) or the ACR, in wich much better weapons than the crappy OICW were constructed.

But it looks cute...

[Edited on 18-11-2003 by Johnny]

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The OICW it's a fancy piece of kit that would be rendered useless by a scalar EM weapon. The hapless yanks using them would then have to surrender

This is actually a pretty fair statement...

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salem

Originally posted by Johnny

www.hkpro.com...
And if your'e interested in it's previous concepts check this out:
www.dean.usma.edu...

personally it looks like too much crap on a gun, ya know those things that try to do it all, but is actually a pain in the ass to use. oh well, i aint touching it.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The only use I could see for the OICW is perhaps for special ops, it would be usefull for taking shots around corners in urban environments.

But in an all out battlefield this thing is worthless, you want something light, reliable, and easy to use. Not trying to figure out which mode to put it on next and how much battery power you have left.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Not every soldier is going to get one of these rifles. Only one or two in a squad. Like the guy with the M-60 or heavy machine gun.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I still think they should be staying away from real expensive electronics, its just not effective.

Look at what the French did with the FAMAS, thats an example of how we should be looking into advanced weaponry, by using tried and true methods.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren
Look at what the French did with the FAMAS, thats an example of how we should be looking into advanced weaponry, by using tried and true methods.

Aren't the French still working on PAPOP?

Now THAT"S a peace of goddeamn CRAP! OICW is a beauty compared to this!

The grenade launcher's caliber is 35mm, gun is 5,56 NATO. The sighting system is located in the helmet visor

This is not kawaii at all.

[Edited on 19-11-2003 by Johnny]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Forget about the OICW, it's just a piece of crap thet maybe, someday will come into use.
This gun on the otherhand already exists and can do most of the things that the OICW will be able to do, only this one already exists today.

The FN F2000:

world.guns.ru...
www.ets-news.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yep these weapon's designers listen too much Star Trek craps !

Scott; energy

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hmm... Well, I know this weapon and I'm not sure if it would work in any other than urban surroundings. Good for SF but for the dester or jungle... I'm not sure. And OICW is prepared to work in hard weather and terrain conditions.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Im sorry but the OICW is a really chunky ugly mothertrucker. It looks so impracticle for close urban fighting. Its bigger than the soldiers!!! We dont live star wars lives look at them, it looks like George Lucas designed them for Yoda and Co.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Not every soldier is going to have the top part guys. Most soldiers wil have just the rifle part. The rifle will be very light and much better than the M-16.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join