It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Not To Be Banned From ATS...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
LOL, awesome, I am happy to find this entertaining thread to read today.

One thing I will add to the OP is that not everyone comes here and breaks the rules because they are accustomed to another sites free for all attitudes.

I personally was trained here, this being my first online serious discussion board.

I have been sooo close to being banned on a number of accounts and infractions of the rules, but in time I learned that this was the place I chose to be, I chose to hang out and well, love.

If this is not the place for you then move on, with millions of other places online you will find the place you fit in.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99
"No. 20 off-topic removals in 10 threads in a single day - maybe." Quote Gemwolf

That looks like a very definitive answer...You are certain of this?

It was simply a hyperbole to emphasize that it's unlikely that you would get post banned for 2 off-topic posts removed.

Again, I didn't ask what one would get a Warning for, I asked, what is a Warning.

A warning is simply that. An action taken on your post to indicate to you that you have broken serious rules. In the "olden days" a warning would mean that you get a red tag in your mini-profile and you lost points. These a post can be warned without your post being removed, and you get an automated U2U explaining that the post broke the T&Cs. It is rarely used. Alternatively your post can be removed completely and you will also receive a message. In both cases points are subtracted but points don't matter.

Why couldn't a Posting Ban for (hypothetically) 2 thread drifts (sayyyy polite ones) last for 6 months or more?

You'll never get post banned for just two off topic removals. If it ever happened then there was several contributing factors that lead up to that point. Let's say a moderator already asked members to stay on topic in the thread and you ignore them, OR your post is removed as off-topic and you repost the post OR you start having a go at the moderator in the thread, then yes, you may get post banned, but it's not because it was two innocent off topic posts. And as I said - the length of a post ban depends on the member. During a post ban "the ball" is always left in the member's court.

'Glad to see the inclusion of almost every time...'

I never (hypothetically) mentioned extreme violations - curse words, banned content etc...that's pretty much a given, I would have thought...

No, you didn't. I was listing why members typically get warnings or banned.

...and NO, that key does not work in all doors...because one gets the distinct impression that (the pear-shaped) being described is purely a member-side fault.
Some posters here have been Writing for years, and have hundreds of thousands of words behind them...this does not (like the all too human mods) exempt them from having a twitchy trigger finger...does it?

...and anything that goes 'pear-shaped' must be a memmber-side problem?...I use the expression pear-shaped to describe any and all valid and (hypothetically occuring) 'communication problems'...including relevant comms relating to bans, warnings etc, from your inbox - could make it difficult to 'work things out' don't you think?

Å99

As have been said several times. Each member/action/complain against a member and their posts are handled on their own merits. No two members are the same. No one has the same (posting) history. Back in 2005/6 I was post banned. I've received several warnings and had several of my posts removed. Yet, my contributions outweighed my bad behavior and I was nominated to be a staff member...

Everyone are however held under the same rules. So the idea that moderators ban people left and right or just remove posts because they are having a bad day is just silly. Post removals and other actions are discussed amongst staff. Staff actions are constantly monitored by fellow staff members. And trust me, if you step out of line as a staff member the rest will come down on you like a ton of bricks. Banning someone is even worse (in terms of discussion). It's quite exhausting actually. It can take pages and pages of discussion before someone is actually banned.

Nothing is ever "pear shaped" beyond repair - IF a person really wants to be member of this community. If someone is here to troll or be vulgar, then, yes - pear shape it is and will remain. There is always a solution to a problem. All it takes is a bit of cooperation - yes, from the member. Remember that post removals, posting bans, etc. are the only tools moderators have to enforce the rules. If we didn't have it then pandemonium would ensue and ATS wouldn't be ATS. The rules are there to create a positive environment that is conductive for stimulating discussions and the sharing of information. It never has and never will be a power tool or show of force for any moderator, administrator or owner.

But that's all besides the point and not what you want to hear - "hypothetically speaking"... You are here after a series of unfortunate events lead to your post ban, right? And ultimately that got sorted out, seeing that you got your posting privileges back, right? Yet, you feel there are some unresolved issues and you feel that you have been mistreated somehow? I'm therefore guessing that your issue have nothing to do with the opening post of this thread (which is 8 years old, I might add)?

It is at this point that I will have to redirect you to the complaints function or a personal message to the moderator of your choice, because we never have, and never will discuss bannings (temporary or permanent) in public threads.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Thank you for your patience in replying.

It seems there is an impasse...some of the events you described may have happened to me, and some of the events I described may have happened to me...and I'm hoping that the confusion hasn't given you the power to know what 'I want to hear'...but you are right, the issue (may have) been resolved, and I am posting (so, no complaint there). I had no idea there was a time limit on what threads could, or couldn't be replied to - apologies, and the thread was resurrected by Not1of8 - not me, and the title referred to bans, and I was banned...and all my questions were related to bans...

I had enough trouble resolving the last, approx. 8-9 month ban, and I went to the top...

In future I will be copy/pasting PM's to an outside base, in this way I would have an independant reference to comms, without them being 'purged', and having no recourse to even broach a complaint.

Again, thank you for your advice and patience...

Å99
edit on 29-9-2014 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

<< 5  6  7   >>

join