It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Not To Be Banned From ATS...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
When I first came here I thought some of the rules against obscenity, etc. were a bit stuffy and overdone. Now that I have been here, I realize how valuable the board's emphasis on politeness is. It simply acts as a catlylist to bolster the quality of conversation on all levels. The management is to be strongly commended for this ongoing committment.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Probably been said before, but main thing is to

Remain calm.

You will be accused, ridiculed, labeled, slammed, and insulted.

Take it with stride and respond with a cool head.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
But it seemed to me that Intrepid wanted the thread to follow the narrow focus...

Fascinating.
I missed the drama on this one, but it seems all too familiar...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Fascinating.
I missed the drama on this one, but it seems all too familiar...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for pointing that out twitchy. I would recommend that anyone that thinks disagreeing with staff will lead to a ban read that thread. We've disagreed for years twitchy. You're still here. That is NOT a reason for banning as is apparent by these posts.

Secondly, that thread was closed after 21 pages. Nothing was concealed, it had run it's course and would have only led to actioned posts and possible bannings. That's something that we try to prevent. Not always possible but you've got to try.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've had to had to disagree with a great many authority figures in my day to day life recently, and I've found that the methodology for disagreement and argument advocated by the ATS staff is just as valuable outside of these boards.

By being rude, insulting and unpleasant you will only ever entrench someone in their opposition. Only by being reasonable, polite and calm can you hope to change someone's mind to your way of thinking. You will also make them feel petty and irrational if they are rude, insulting and unpleasant towards you.

I know that ATS moderation has had to become less "light-touch", of necessity, but I think you guys have the balance right.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Actually they did that, I stumbled across it last week:

Simplified Terms and Conditions of Membership for the AboveTopSecret.com Message Board(s)

It's simplified and a lot easier to read.

About half the rules are translated to: "Don't be a jerk" and equally simple language.

Wooow now if there was a thread that should be plastered everywhere, its that one. I tried to post on that thread with a big thumbs up, but I’m not allowed to post on it.

I know we don't do sticky threads at ATS but that one surely should be.

Actually that might be one of the answers as to how to stop the occasional infringement of terms. Make a link at the top of the forums to the terms and conditions.

The ATS Handbook is very useful but not easy to find, I think it should have its own link icon in the member’s tools.

So say we all??

Korg.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
All I can say is "dont believe anything"

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Although amused, but could i send the construction workers in ny to axe the fiber cable again and upon cable access view the various blacked out vehicles with non existent plates ? ...

Hehe only kidding...i know it wont even be allowed let alone communicated.

Thumbs up..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
ATS is this only place i frequent so it has taught me how to interact with others. I was pretty much computer illiterate when i first came here but good people helped me to learn. Thank you all. I read everything on how to avoid being banned....just to be on the safe side.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I like the fact that the Mods here actually do "modding" and the ones I have communicated with have all been helpful for sure. This is only chatting/forum type stuff I do so anything else would be beyond me. I feel at home here. The website is nicely laid out and with this brand spanking new one here, it looks like a great improvement. Especially the drop down tabs

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Shills abound. Rude bored people abound.
I logged in here tonight due to my decision to not read dark, bloody, inane, provocative, juvenile, sexy garbage-o on 10 other sites. I thank you for maintaining some values.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I never noticed how SkepticOverlord and many other moderators now have all these mellow looking avatars.
I still remember all the superhero red and blue outfits from years ago.

Anyway if the moderators are more mellow that should not be confused with being more lax in enforcement of the rules. I've seen a discussion board with no moderators and the discussion consists of mainly one troll or two and is not really a discussion at all. It was just a place for them to post vicious rants. That's not why I visit here. I don't mind reading opposing viewpoints, in fact it makes the arguments more interesting. We just don't need to put down the other people to make one's position seem more elevated. The facts should speak for themselves.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by orionthehunter]

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So, my question is perhaps off topic here but still relates to the operation of ATS, and while this thread is about its operational workings, and I do not feel my question warrantees an OP, please pardon for posting here.

When you flag a thread, are you flagging the poster for putting the info on ATS or are you flagging the actual topic?

Eg: the postal topic about 'children being branded gangsters at the age of 3' is in my opinion so bazaar that it should occur only in nightmares, yet it is good that the poster brought this to our attention. How do readers interpret flagging?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The Cunning Use of Flags

reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Well, it is a bit afield of the whole "how not to be banned" topic (which I bumped to remind members about), but I think the best way to think of flags is as a way for members to say "hey, you should read this".

Flagging a thread can also be thought of as a vote for a given subject, and as a general rule, when members see a given thread receive a lot of flags, the implication is that such topics are of interest to other members and that they would like to see more of them.

Stars are similar, but apply to specific posts.

So if you would rather not see more of something, be sure not to star or flag it.

And of course, to be able to award stars or flags, one must be a member, and that requires not being banned, which is, of course, what this thread is all about.

(How's that for a clumsy segue?)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

FWIW . . .

I come from the 'wild west' . . . the American Southwest.

We tend to 'tell it like it is' and 'let the chips fall where they may.'

We tend to think that folks who get all fussed up about petty things are wusses . . . pansies . . . wimps.

And, a good many of us sort of look down our noses at 'British civility' as a kind of cultural ethos.

And, I come from spending most of my time on a website that pretends to avoid personal attacks yet is rife with them--usually moderated with horrific, hypocritical, disingenuous, petty yet harsh double standards.

HOWEVER, I've come to highly respect, even love the civility on ATS.

Much of me still can enjoy a robust town-hall free-for-all sort of discourse more characteristic of some college dorms or verbal bar-room brawls.

Yet, I find that the civility standards of ATS force me to be more true to what are actually my own better standards. I really do typically love most everyone I meet and I really do prefer to do unto others as I'd prefer done unto me.

Though even the latter one can still allow quite fierce fiestiness. LOL.

And, ATS forces me to work harder at being more clever and witty in socially friendly ways . . . if not gracious ways. I see that as wisdom and a plus instead of a drawback.

So, THANKS, y'all. I appreciate y'all helping me to be a better me.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
... Or, A Word About Politeness.

Participation in ATS - BTS - PTS, on nearly any topic, is very easy -- all you need to do is be polite.

No one is ever banned from ATS for their opinions, ideas, connections, or theories. Everyone is always banned for simply not being able to politely function in the environment we've created.

Close to the truth.. not quite the truth. Politeness + not mentioning mind altering drugs that are illegal in the U.S.
would be more accurate I think.

Well do I remember when that whole issue came up here.. the drama involved.. and those no longer here as a result. Politeness was not the driving issue there.As for the whole 99.999999% not feeling bullied.. I'd say your math was off.. but no math was involved with making up that number from the ether.

Those observations made for those who might come away from reading this thinking that rudeness is the only thing that might get them in trouble here on these boards.

In conclusion.. be polite.. avoid certain topics.. you'll be fine.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I think that this needs to be mentioned and this is as good a place as any to put it.

We do not have a right to be here. ATS is a privately owned forum. Yes the owners give us great latitude in what we say or do here, but this is a privledge not a right. We are all guests here. Consider ATS the same as being in someone's business or home. The owner's have the right to ask you to leave at any time and they do not have to give a reason. Being asked to leave is not an infringement on your rights. You are perfectly free to start your own forum and run it however you wish.

Maybe you are correct, maybe we dont have a right to be here.. Using the same logic ATS does not have the right to exist. It is a composition of its members and would not last long if they where not here. If we are guests here, then ATS is a guest of our ideas. It works both ways and respect should be mutual.
Be polite to one another and remain in the terms and conditions but dont start buying into the idea that we have no rights because something is privalty owned. You have inherent rights as a human.
Does that mean if you weork for a private company you forfeit your rights as a person. No it does not.
Does that mean if you live in a country that ends up being bought up by the private sector you have lost your rights. No it does not..

Keep it relative...

regards..purp.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I think ATS is a fantastic site and I am glad it is here. I understand why most of the rules are in place. It keeps it all civil. One thing I dont get about ATS, is it seems a certain level of racism is allowed. Racism towards certain countires is tolerated and it might be funny to some people, but you might find it demeaning if you lived there.
I have on occasions reported and nothing seems to come of it. Racism against a country as opposed to an individual is still racism..
Maybe it is a cultural thing and I am missing something..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Policy And Polity

Originally posted by Resinveins
Politeness was not the driving issue there.

Actually, even in the case of the recent big drug dramafest, politeness was the ultimate deciding factor, at least with the bans I was involved in. Calling us Nazis or otherwise insulting us doesn't go over well, drugs or not, and bashing us for enforcing ATS policy despite our repeated warnings not to isn't exactly courteous, or particularly bright, for that matter.

Traditionally, we've been fairly tolerant of that, tried to be understanding when members send us nasty U2Us after being dinged for something, appreciate that all of us have bad days and understand that members of a conspiracy site will naturally tend to be antagonistic toward any sort of authority. We are, after all, members ourselves and came here for the same reasons other members do.

What we've learned over the years, however, is the more we tolerate obnoxious, abusive behavior, the more of it we see, and the more it discourages good people from posting. And people who have no problem cussing out a mod also (surprise!) tend to have no problem cussing out other members. So ultimately, people who behave that way really don't belong here, keeping them around only hurts the community as a whole, and that's the way we've decided to approach it.

And let's look at the community as a whole. We are constantly accused of pushing various agendas and playing favorites, but all the different opinions you can find in any thread in any forum say otherwise. They are their own proof.

ATSers have different points of view on just about everything imaginable, and sharing them is only possible in an atmosphere of mutual respect. That's all it really boils down to in the end: mutual respect.

As Bill pointed out, there are a lot of rules, and it's totally understandable that members won't read them all or know them all. Most don't.

Yet most members don't run into any trouble on ATS. I know some members worry about being banned for making an honest mistake, but we try very hard not to do that, and when problems do occur, members who deal with us politely get -- and deserve -- the best we can give them.

The Occupy Wall Street movement is getting a lot of press these days, and one of their central themes is the 99% versus 1%. We see a similar ratio on ATS, in which 99% of the problems us mods have to deal with are caused by 1% of the membership. If that estimate is off, it's off in that it's probably closer to 99.9% versus 0.1 percent. I see the warnings and complaints that come through. It's not an exaggeration.

But even for that 1% or so, we do try to give them every opportunity to come around and "get it". And what "it" is amounts to nothing more than realizing that, barring some notable exceptions spelled out in the terms & conditions, we are all free to express our honest opinions on just about everything imaginable, provided we do so without insulting, mischaracterizing or ridiculing other members.

Even in the case of drugs, now and then members will mention personal use in a thread, or start a thread about drugs or a drug-related subject that we will remove. Opinions vary about how policies should be applied, we may see things differently, and as long as they're cool about it, aren't doing it deliberately and don't make a career out of it, it's really not a big deal.

Self-styled "activists", however, who choose to make a point of violating the rules, fighting us by reposting things we remove and giving us grief about it are, like any other brand of troll, late for the door, and our tolerance for that has gone way down.

The bottom line is that, on a practical level, the Golden Rule is the only rule ATSers really need to follow. If a member does break some technical rule we try to be cool about it, and if they're cool about it back, no worries.

It's not hard. Honest.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I am 1 1/2 old to ATS and its very informitive and entertaining. I say that whole Heartedly. I have been T&C''d 2 times. I know ignorance is no excuse but I was surprised the first time it happened. 1000 points and 2 warnings in one notice made me pay attention
The second time it happened I was a bit anry in a thread with someone and I used abbrev, to say poop stirrer That was all I really needed to this day I feel. But that isnt why I am about to ask my questions., I am sure there is a reasonable answer but I can't come up with it on my own. I have started a thread what its about is not the issue.Not for me.anyway. but what is the issue is simply this. .
!. How can someone willfully edit your posts and rotate the aspect of your pictures connected to the post and then repost it and say you did this to back up your lies!!!! I call that fraud and perjury and for lack of a better word "Being Framed" and humiliated.
2 I reported it 3 times.I alterted the mooderators from the posters pulldown menu "Alert" option. I can without a doubt prove I am telling the truth. I already did prove it in the thread, But this Cyber Bully and his lies are still intact in my thread, I won't even try to find more words for this behavior. I could go on but my issue is not the moderators and I dont want it to be. But there is one other thing. And this is really the icing on the cake..
The mod comes in and a third time ignores my complaint , I even gave the link and page number. Then to my surprise The Mod proceeds to give an opinion about my thread In My Thread and says

This is a science forum...At least, it used to be. Stop the lunacy, please. The phase follows the sun. Look at the moon, and you know where the sun is.
Case closed.
And if some respect isn't shown towards each other, rather than bickering...The thread will be closed too
Got it?

At that point the posters that didn't share my opinion/s throughout the thread immediately posted more defamatory remarks and even thanked the mod for deciding the facts of what I was threading about in the first place.

Then tells the mod in his post Nicely Done!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join