It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW: Give Search A Chance! (revised ATS search)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Give Search A Try...

As part of our DarkMatter upgrades and enhancements, we've made some minor tweaks in our Advanced Boolean Search that may improve things for members who had trouble with our search in the past.

While it might take some getting used to, the advanced boolean search capability is the most powerful search function you'll find for any message board.

Just below the query builder is a brief bit of instructions, I'll repeat them here to make sure everyone notices:

Example:

Searching on "bird flu" in the first field will give you all the posts in the forums (up to 75 returns) and timeframes specified that contain the phrase, "bird flu".

If you refine your search by adding "Dick Cheney" in the second field, and selecting "must be" in the pulldown to the left, the search give you all the posts in the forums and timeframes specified that contain both phrases, "bird flu" and "Dick Cheney".

If you further refine your search by adding "George Bush" in the third field, and select "must not be" in the pulldown to the left, the search give you all the posts in the forums and timeframes specified that contain both phrases, "bird flu" and "Dick Cheney" and DO NOT contain the phrase "George Bush".

Tips and Additional Information:

All searches return a maximum of 75 threads or posts, so it's best to work on refining your search.

When you search on forum posts, click on the author's name to jump to the specific post that matches your search.

When you search on forum thread subject lines, the date range is ignored and all threads are searched.

If you're not getting any returns, try expanding the date range.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The ability to go directly to the post containing the search term is great! As one who had been frustrated in the past by having to find the specific post containg the search terms (a particular pain in the threads with big page counts), I view this as a major improvement.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Has the Google search disappeared for good? I used to find it much more helpful.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The Boolean Search is much more accurate than the Google search... especially for either very-old or very-new posts.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yes I always found the Google search to be awful when it came to new posts.
I've been playing around with the revised search and it has been working good for me.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Kudos. Again!!

I just a couple of days ago used the search function here, specifying posts "within the last 3 months". It gave me instead threads from 2002 and 2003!

But after I saw this thread, I have tried it for a couple of other searches and found it does truly work much better than it had in the past.

Thanks!

[edit on 12/19/2006 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join