It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question to pet owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
im not one my self firstly

anyhow on the question why do some people buy clouthes for their pets?

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think it's really cute to see a puppy in a scarf.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Because it makes the people feel good about themselves. Of course it makes the pet stressed and confused, but you'll never get them to believe that.

Humanizing animals is one of the major causes of behavior problems in dogs. You take a small breed dog that's genetically hardwired to assume the lowest rank and offer submission to every larger / stronger animal in it's pack, for it's very survival. Then you give it it's own furniture, plump it's pillow, dress it up, and lavish affection on it at every chance. Pretty soon you've fried it's little brain because it's been forced to assume the role of pack leader and it's not up to the task.

Sorry, pet peeve..

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Because it makes the people feel good about themselves. Of course it makes the pet stressed and confused, but you'll never get them to believe that.

thats what comes to mind for me hence why i am asking the people who do this to their pets and their reasons

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Some dogs, like pugs, have thin skin and short hair. If you take them out in the winter, they need to have a sweater or jacket.

The sidewalks of NYC are filthy... and in the winter the salt burns the feet of dogs. So it's a good idea to buy the sled-dog boots (in lots of styles now) for your dog.

Most of the dog clothing is designed for the smaller dogs who really do end up needing something extra on cool/cold days. And from there, fashion takes over to an extreme.

Plus, it's cool to see a bulldog with a football jersey.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Let's not forget the hairless mutants.
Small dogs aren't the only ones that sometimes need a little extra protection from the winter cold.
Sighthounds also need protection, having thin coats, and low body fat.. think greyhounds.
My dogs regularly wear sweaters when I would take them out.. and they are pit bulls..
Which look cooler in leather jackets, than bulldogs look in football jerseys.

But yeah, all the mushy gushy moo moo baby cutsey puppy stuff, makes me sick.
A dog is a dog, and as long as the dog remains a dog, treating it like a surrogant child is fine. Anyone see Show dog moms and dads? The weimeraner was a surrogant child, but she was a dog, and knew her place.
The toy fox terrier was absolutly ruined by his owners.. oops, sorry, his daddies.
I have owned a small breed, a 2 lb chichuahua, and Tiny knew he was a dog, and he knew I was the boss, and we never had any problems.
And yes, he was dressed up for the winter time.
But then there is the conspicous consumption thing.
I have SOO much money, I just don't know what to do with it, so I am going to spend 2000 dollars on a Swarovski crystal collar made with raw silk and virgin cotton weave just because I can.
And a matching outfit, and booties, and hat..
THAT annoys me to NO end.

new topics

top topics

join