It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

C'mon Hockey Fans....make your love of the greatest sport of them all known.

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I used to frequent the Sporthawk site but, frankly, I didn't go there as often as I would have liked. It was just too inconvenient to leave the ATS sites. But now I can indulge the my sport aspect as well as my interest in politics and conspiracy theory.

Of course, as the topic of this thread implies, I love sports and, most of all, I love hockey and I know that I'm not alone.

So c'mon hockey fans....make your presence known and tell the world about your favorite sport and, of course, your favorite team.

The DETROIT RED WINGS Rule!




posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Thats all I have to say about hockey at the moment.



posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Thats all I have to say about hockey at the moment.




Too funny Flyer. True though, oh god how true it is. I make no secret about it, I hate the Flyers. I've always hated Bobby Clarke, could never stand Eric Lindros, and basically anyone who wore the jersey. Hell, Peter Forsberg, I can even dislike this guy. That says a lot.

I am a Montreal Canadiens fan, to the bone. We are looking very impressive this year. I had anticipated a strong season, but not to the extent we are playing. The boys are finding a way to win. The best PK in the league and second best PP never hurts, with a hot goalie to boot.

The difference for the Habs this year has got to be attributed to our coaching. Carbs and Muller provide a sense into our team that we have not had in a very long time. Defense is highly emphasized, and we seem to be benefitting from it.

Crosby is probably my favorite player in the league right now. He too is from Nova Scotia, so I followed his career all through out Minor Hockey. His passion and ability makes him a star, and he deserves all of it. People openly criticize him, and with his antics last season it was probably deserved. But he has backed off his heated rantings towards the officials, which is a measure of his character. (IMO)

The kid is a true Habs fan himself. I am counting the days to when Free Agency comes knocking on his door.



posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I love hockey, and I guess I'm the first US citizen on this thread to say so! I play ice hockey as much as I can, and watch as much as I can...too bad it's rarely on TV here in the states now, but I root for the Blackhawks.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Go Canucks!

Straight to the golf course...... :shk:

It's easy to love my dear Canucks and I never have to worry about them disappointing me. The true Canuck fan has none of this wishful 'this is our year' stuff going on. We already know we aren't getting past the first round, and that's during a good year.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
2 words Avs Rule but you said that hockey is not on TV much in the US in UK we a channel called Setanta NASN who pretty much show it all the time



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well football is my first love but I used to like hockey when it was a contact sport. This year you look at a player wrong and it's 2 minutes for... whatever.


As far as teams go, I like the western game better than the east, much more wide open, when the refs let it be. Fav. teams to watch? Flames and Oilers. My, does that qualify me to be able to run for office in Alberta?



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Well football is my first love but I used to like hockey when it was a contact sport. This year you look at a player wrong and it's 2 minutes for... whatever.





Sure there are some Mickey Mouse calls but at least the talented hockey players can finally play the game. No more clutching and grabbing, oh how we've waited too long for this.

Hitting, fighting, all the rough stuff we have come to love, is still a very large part of the game. The only thing the new rule emphasis has done is forced players to focus on defense. Big dummies that couldn't skate are forced out of the league.

I'm actually a huge fan of the new emphasis.

Probably because my beloved Habs can finally kill a penalty.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Originally posted by intrepid
Well football is my first love but I used to like hockey when it was a contact sport. This year you look at a player wrong and it's 2 minutes for... whatever.





Sure there are some Mickey Mouse calls but at least the talented hockey players can finally play the game. No more clutching and grabbing, oh how we've waited too long for this.



Some MM calls? Hell half of the game is being played by special teams, that's not entertaining imo. I don't mind penalties being call when they should be but you barely rub a player, it's 2 minutes. I won't go into the bogus hooking calls. :shk:



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Too much of the game is being played with Special teams, I agree. But in time the players will fully adapt and use the stick to play the puck. The last twenty years they have been taught one thing, to flip flop that over night was a big step.

All in time.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yes it is so hard to be a Flyers fan right about now. But I am!!!!!
Hockey is a great sport. Unfortunately I discovered the sport as an adult. I'd never watched hockey as a kid, heck none of my friends did. Then as an adult, the company I worked for had season tickets, and one came in my direction. I went to the game in what used to be called The Spectrum in good old south Philly. I was addicted to the game in less than 10 minutes.

I am a huge fan of the Orange and Black, as is my son. Now that's some good parentin'!



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
A lot of so-called hockey fans have expressed anger regarding the new standards of play in the league...most of these people though, are only interested in watching hockey because of a possible fight, or confrontation that may occur.

Hockey is a very quick game, and involves contact and roughness with its very nature. But there's a difference between being rough and aggressive to obtain the puck and play the game, and being rough just for the sake of being rough. Now the game is back in the hands of the skill players- those with speed, power, and puckhandling abilities. The old "goons" no longer exist...

That said, I do think the reffing has been a little over the top, and this is also a problem in recreational or competitive hockey leagues throughout the country, who are also adopting the new policy. Including a rec. league I'm playing in (where the penalties are called quite strictly for a non-check rec league). But I think it will even out over time, and players will get used to it.

The only issue is with the calls being more subjective, as now the refs have even more personal control of the game...the rules are more easily bent to favor a player in one incident, but go against a different player in another similar incident. This is not so much a problem in the NHL though, as the refs are expected to be professional and objective.,..but quite a problem in USA hockey league reffing...

Anyway, I think the new standards are, overall, for the better, and it will just take a bit of time until things are fair and balanced...



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:


Man o man o man you aren't kidding. This is the WORST my Flyers have EVER done. The team was totally wiped out and now we are in last place in the East and 28th place if you count the entire 30 teams in the NHL.

It's SICKENING!

In years past I wouldn't miss a game on TV. We had 10-game packs. We have ALL the accessories. But now ... I can't turn the game on for fear that I'll
all over my living room rug.

Seriously. It's bad. It's definately a sign of the coming apocolypse!

It stinks being a Philadelphia sports fan this year - pick 'em ... Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, .....



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
The only issue is with the calls being more subjective, as now the refs have even more personal control of the game...the rules are more easily bent to favor a player in one incident, but go against a different player in another similar incident. This is not so much a problem in the NHL though, as the refs are expected to be professional and objective.,..but quite a problem in USA hockey league reffing...


It's actually quite the opposite. Everything is black and white with the league now, ref's have very little control. Before the new emphasis, a ref was in control of the game. There was a high emphasis on Game Management. Letting things go here and there, trying to even out penalties, etc., all on the ref's shoulders to keep the game in a steady flow.

When teams got down by a few goals, we permitted them to get a way with a little more than usual. It was good game management.

Well now, there is no game management. A penalty is a penalty is a penalty. If the score is 8-2 with 30 seconds left in the game, it is still a penalty.

Refs have no personal control over the game. They are merely an observer who has a whistle. If they are doing the job, the way it should be done, it would not matter who was on the ice. Every ref would ref every game, the exact same way. In the past, who had the bands on, would seriously affect the game. Some ref's had tendencies, while other's may of had a separate tendency.

The new emphasis has made reffing much easier. No thought has to go into the process. If we see it, we call it.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler


Too funny Flyer. True though, oh god how true it is. I make no secret about it, I hate the Flyers. I've always hated Bobby Clarke, could never stand Eric Lindros, and basically anyone who wore the jersey. Hell, Peter Forsberg, I can even dislike this guy. That says a lot.
I know how you feel, I'm like that with the L*afs, but then isn't everyone ?



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
I know how you feel, I'm like that with the L*afs, but then isn't everyone ?


Anyone with any sort of intelligence.


I just like staring at the standings as of late. Man those Habs are looking good this year. Getting closer and closer to those damn Sabres.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I am a huge fan of the Orange and Black, as is my son. Now that's some good parentin'!
I don't know, you're going to put him through a hell of a lot.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well there's so much wrong with the games right now:
Loads of arenas half full
The instigator rule
Bettman trying to pussyfy the game to attract new fans but only alienating hardcore fans.
lots of diving
Abysmal reffing

I still stay up literally all night to watch games though although I'm not sure how much more I can take.

At least there's some good news, the Pens will probably be moving soon.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Anyone with any sort of intelligence.


I just like staring at the standings as of late. Man those Habs are looking good this year. Getting closer and closer to those damn Sabres.
Ive looked literally twice, just to make sure were on course for the #1 pick. Its typical that there's no clear #1 superstar too this draft when the Flyers decide to suck.



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
It's actually quite the opposite. Everything is black and white with the league now, ref's have very little control. Before the new emphasis, a ref was in control of the game. There was a high emphasis on Game Management. Letting things go here and there, trying to even out penalties, etc., all on the ref's shoulders to keep the game in a steady flow.

When teams got down by a few goals, we permitted them to get a way with a little more than usual. It was good game management.

Well now, there is no game management. A penalty is a penalty is a penalty. If the score is 8-2 with 30 seconds left in the game, it is still a penalty.

Refs have no personal control over the game. They are merely an observer who has a whistle. If they are doing the job, the way it should be done, it would not matter who was on the ice. Every ref would ref every game, the exact same way. In the past, who had the bands on, would seriously affect the game. Some ref's had tendencies, while other's may of had a separate tendency.

The new emphasis has made reffing much easier. No thought has to go into the process. If we see it, we call it.


Well, I disagree, and I am talking about hockey in the US in recreational as well as competitive leagues who go through USA hockey...

Most of the problems with reffing in the past, and still to this day, have nothing to do with the actual rules, but with refs who don't know what they're doing, don't care, or who are not calling it fair...the actual rules are still the same, it's just that things aren't allowed to slide. But the main problem is that they no longer care about intent when it comes to a penalty...if you are "going for the puck" it shouldn't be a penalty. Myself and others in our rec league received countless penalties that we didn't even know we had committed. There are penalties for a stick tapping or brushing another guy's leg, completely by accident, penalties for tripping if a guy skates over a stick and falls, etc.

Most refs are actually trying to do a good job, and not decide the game or anything, but some of them take the "new standards" too literally and will simply call anything they can, just because they can. If someone is blatantly slashing, hooking, tripping, etc. then they should go to the box. If they are fighting for the puck and their stick knocks a guy in the leg, that's part of standard aggressive play. The problem is that with the new "standards", some refs will look at the same thing and they will all call it differently...so it does leave more of the penalty decision up to the ref now, and not from the rulebook.

There have been many youth games with dozens of penalties, and so many minutes that games have been called off for taking too long. But like I said, I think this will correct itself in time. That was mainly a problem the first few weeks of the season, and it seems to be improving.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join