It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name your favorite professional punk... Errr... Misguided athlete...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The all to prevalent headline is an athlete gone bad, whether it's on the court/field of play, or off it; these "role models" have a knack for getting in trouble.

Since this is an international problem, and not everyone is familiar with every sport/league/player, please provide a link for the punk's latest prowess.

Don't feel limited to current punkness, if there's a punk from the past that always come to mind, please feel free to remind us all of their glorious achievements.

I'll start off with perennial punk and all around loser and locker room cancer, Terrel Owens. Being run from Philadelphia, the "accidental" overdose, and leading the NFL in dropped passes wasn't enough, he now admits to spitting in a players face during the recent game with Atlanta. Then he's fined $35,000 US and he suddenly backtracks.

IRVING, TEXAS — After the NFL fined Terrell Owens $35,000 for Saturday's spitting incident, Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells said Monday the club might penalize Owens further.

"We don't condone that kind of activity, that's for sure," Parcells said, though he added if the Cowboys do punish Owens, they won't make that punishment public.

Owens, who was not ejected from the game against the Atlanta Falcons because officials did not see him spit in the face of defensive back DeAngelo Hall, was not suspended by the league. A suspension would have hurt Dallas (9-5) more because Owens is the team's leading receiver and the Cowboys go into their next game needing a win to lock up the NFC East title.

LA Times

Sadly, the need to win, and the perception that TO will help a team do that keeps this punk employed.

[edit on 19/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Nothing like a brawl to take down a league that already has image problems. Carmelo Anthony received a 15 game suspension (subject to appeal) for taking a sucker punch at a Knicks player and then running away. Way to have your team mate's backs 'Melo. Anthony was on a track for greatness this year, leading the NBA in scoring until this incident. While he's far from being responsible for the instigating the incident, his ill advised participation proves what a "female dog" this punk is.

Howard Stern's (NBA Commissioner) Statement:

www.nbcsports.com...

This guy has the right take:

While the way the Knicks began the brawl after the steal, you only escalated the situation. The way you sucker-punched the Knick after Mark Aguirre was holding you back, then the shot of you running away like a little girl disgusted quite a few people, fans and players alike. You should be ashamed of your actions, and you're lucky the NBA only handed down a 15-game suspension.

www.sportsfanmagazine.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
David Beckham.

He may not be a criminal, but he is a punk. Athletes are paid to perform on the field and not be clergymen or scholars off the field. David Beckham is one of the highest paid athletes in the world, yet he has underperformed at every major tournament he has played in and has not really accomplished anything since 1999.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Kobe Bryant, who plays for the LA Kobes, comprised of Kobe Bryant and some other guys whose job it is to give the ball to Kobe.

In 2003, Kobe was accused of raping a hotel worker in Denver. He admitted the act, but claimed it was consensual.

In 2005, Kobe was suspended for two games for elbowing Memphis guard Mike Miller in the throat. Kobe admitted the act, but claimed the elbowing was consensual.

In January, 2006 Kobe scored 81 points (second highest point total ever by an NBA player) in a game against Toronto. It was his 666th NBA game and he did it with 66 shots; 46 from the field and 20 from the free-throw line.

[Edit for typo]

[edit on 12/19/2006 by yeahright]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The Kobe is another fallen angel. Everyone thought he was squeky clean, but sooner or later the truth gets out. Funny thing, it cost him more to pay off his wife (4 million dollar diamond ring) than it cost to pay off the woman he raped.

He's lost even more in lost endorsements... But he is a free man.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Being a Niners fan TO would have topped my list. What a jerk. Now I'll have to think about who's #2. There's plenty.

Damn, I'm glad we have these new forums. They'll be #1 in no time.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'm gonna say Pete Rose. We want to love him again but he just won't spit out the right answer.

Fans have forgiven the likes of Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, and Steve Howe multiple times for their indescretions because they admitted they had a problem. Rose never learned from their examples.

Another guy I would put in the same category as Rose would be Mark McGwire. The crap he pulled on Capitol Hill was pathetic. I hope that SOB never sees the Hall of Fame.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
David Beckham.

He may not be a criminal, but he is a punk. Athletes are paid to perform on the field and not be clergymen or scholars off the field.

His propensity to not "show up" cost him his captaincy of the English National team, and he really was never right after leaving MU.

I'm not sure Posh was the best thing for his career either.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

This is why...........

Prick should be banned from Hockey period...

[edit on 19-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
For those who don't follow hockey:

www.cbc.ca...

Vancouver Canucks all-star Todd Bertuzzi incited disgust and outrage when he blindsided Colorado Avalanche rookie Steve Moore with a punch from behind on March 8, 2004.

Moore crumpled to the ice, and was hospitalized with three broken vertebrae in his neck and a concussion.

Probably one of the most disturbing displays I've seen in professional competition.

Here's the video

www.ifilm.com...

Brutal.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Mark 'jacko' Jackson was a supreme nutcase on the field and is still one off it. For those not familiar with aussie rules Jacko ran riot here through the 80's. You may also remember him from the energizer ads "oi". He's now taken his show on the road doing sportsmans nights and the like with a self confessed killer and stand over man Chopper Reid.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
My loveable loser award goes to John Daly.

Daly does what we all love to do:
Get blistering wasted and hack our way up and down the golf course.

...but he is so good that he can do it on the PGA Tour!

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
**Double Post **

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Essedarius]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I think the Bertuzzi comments are uncalled for. What he did was wrong, 100% wrong. But he has been man enough to stand up before all of us and openly apologize. He has never avoided the consequences and openly taken all blame right from day one.

Can the Carmello's or the TO's of the world say this? Not a chance.

I'm not much of a fan of Bertuzzi myself, but he has my respect for the way he dealt with this event. This whole, Steve Moore the innocent victim, not buying it. Anyone who knows the full story, knows that he was far from an innocent bystander in all of this.

Bertuzzi is still being called out on these events, but very little is ever said about the Brashear-Mcsoryley

As for my favorite misguided athlete?

Chad Johnson really gets under my skin. Surprisingly, Terrell Owens, does not. I've always been a fan of Anthony, but his stupidity the other night has me rethinking that one. He had nothing to do with what was going on, and his late sucker shot did nothing but take all of the blame from the embarrassing Knicks.

So who gets my vote?

ANY athlete who puts himself before the team, and the game. Nobody is above the game itself. The team always has to come first, no matter what.

Brett Favre. The guy is more than a man, I can not possibly say enough good things about this guy. I wish we had more athletes like him and less Chad Johnson's.

But I will settle on one man.

Sean Avery.

The guy is the dirt of the NHL when it comes to personality & respect. Treats noone with it, and gets none back.

He does go with Elisha Cuthbert though. Gotta give the man his dues for that one though.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Dude, both those shots were uncalled for regardless of how much an Agitator Moore or Bashere is.

Neither of them deserves to play hockey regardless of how they "manned up to it" after the fact. There should have never been an "after the fact" apology, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Your defense is uncalled for...

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Your defense is uncalled for...

I tend to disagree. We are attempting to measure a man's character by one moment of his life. If I were to measure your character by your worst act in life, would it be called for? Not a chance.

I do not defend his actions, but I do defend his character.

It was less than 2 weeks previous that Moore had taken an apparent cheap shot at Naslund. I don't actually think it was a cheap shot, but I fully see how people interpreted like that. There was some serious hot blood between the two. So why the hell did either coach have them on the ice? There is more at play here than meets the eye.

The character of Bertuzzi is not the only one that should be in question. Which is another reason why I come to his defense.

You think it was wrong, completely entitled. You think he should not be in the game of hockey, completely entitled. What you are not entitled to, are the cheap shots you take at his character. As I've said, measuring a man's character on one moment is, uncalled for.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
My problem with both the Moore and Brashear incidents is that they are cheap shots... Not sporting, cheap shots from behind. If you get the better of someone straight up, so be it. If you get over because you blind side some one then you're in Punksville...

There have been plenty of "enforcements" in hockey that were straight up... Guys have made a career of it in fact. cheap shots in any sport are bush (not 43).

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Gotta disagree with both of those guys, they are bullies, not "punks". For that you have to look no further than Eric Lindros. A team goes to all of that effort to lose those games to get their guys and then he whines, "I'm not playing there." THEN the continual bickering with management through his old man.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The biggest cheater in all of Baseball and in SPORTS.... Barry Bonds. He was an incredible athlete that could not handle the fact that two OTHER juice freaks were stealing the spotlight. He would have got in the Hall of Fame withOUT juicing.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
John McEnroe.

The last of the great finesse players, McEnroe was at the peak of his career when power tennis came into its own, with its huge graphite rackets and 140+mph serves. McEnroe didn't handle well at all the psychological shock of being on top one minute and pounded into submission the next, and the latter part of his career was marked by the gradual and lamentable decline of his pre-eminence in the sport, and the rapid increase of his outrageous outbursts and fits of rage on the court. Millions, myself included, would tune in worldwide just to watch him break rackets, scream obscenities at umpires, and flat out refuse to play. Eventually the outbursts over-shadowed his former greatness and he is still to this day remembered most for his temper rather than his skill with the racket. A shame, because he truly was one of the greats, but that's the price you pay for being a punk. He redeemed himself in later years by poking a good deal of fun at himself in public fora.

[edit on 2006-12-21 by wecomeinpeace]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join