It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oak Island Mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Does anyone know anything recent about the Oak Island "Money Pit" mystery?

This story has always fascinated me and the things found at different ground depths at the site have been amazing. Whoever contructed the pit must have placed an enormous value on what is buried here and had a virtual army of engineers and laborers at their disposal.

The Oak Island Treasure Pit Story

" At 126 feet, wood was struck and then iron. This material is probably part of the material that fell during the crash of the Pit. On other drillings the wood was encountered at 122 feet and the iron was missed completely indicating that the material may be laying in a haphazard way due to the fall.

Between 130 and 151 feet and also between 160 and 171 feet a blue clay was found which consisted of clay, sand, and water. This clay can be used to form a watertight seal and is probably the same "putty"; that was found at the 50 foot level of the Pit.

The major find was in the gap between the putty layers. A cement vault was discovered. The vault itself was 7 feet high with 7 inch thick walls. Inside the vault the drill first struck wood, then a void several inches high and an unknown substance. Next a layer of soft metal was reached, then almost 3 feet of metal pieces, and then more soft metal.

When the drill was brought back up another twist was added to the whole mystery. Attached to the auger was a small piece of sheepskin parchment with the letters "vi"; "ui"; or "wi"; What the parchment is a part of is still in question.

More convinced than ever that a great treasure was beneath the island, The Treasure Company began sinking more shafts in the attempts to get to the cement vault. They all met with failure due to flooding."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Applied 'ex' tags for external quote

[edit on 19/12/06 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
for all anyone knows it was just a sinkhole that someone misdiagnosed
the amount of fakery and specualtion thats gone on over the years has led me to believe that its just what its claimed to be
a money pit
thats is......
a money pit that sucks any money put by to discover what was never in it to start with

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well I might agree with you but this has been going on for over 100 years and companies have sunk thousands into the project. I don't think they would invest huge amounts of money into the project unless they forsaw a return on their investments.

Very enthralling to say the least. Other artifacts have been discovered on the island pointing towards something substantial being hidden beyond the scope of simple 'pick and shovel' treasure looters.

Tales have circulated from the Knights templar to the freemasons and the holy grail itself.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Templar GOLD ! Tons and tons of Templar GOLD !

Any books, scrolls or parchments have long since been destroyed by the inrushing seawater.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Well I might agree with you but this has been going on for over 100 years and companies have sunk thousands into the project. I don't think they would invest huge amounts of money into the project unless they forsaw a return on their investments.

and what have they found so far that was worth the expense
N - O - T - H - I - N - G

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

and what have they found so far that was worth the expense
N - O - T - H - I - N - G

You are absolutely right. But...BUT, why (or how) would anyone bury layers of logs every 10 feet for hundred(s) of feet, layers of cement, layers of putty and brush? The elaborate flood trap for looters. This wasn't some prank by a couple of kids, this took an engineer and an enormous amount of manpower, being that there was no heavy digging equipment 250 years ago (the carbon dating on some of the items unearthed).

So yes, nothing of actual value was recovered, but clues to something buried there is without question.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
theres no evidence that anything was ever buried there either physically or textually
as mysteries go its a total non starter that has been legendised by the people involved

you said earlier about Templar Knights and the Holy Grail
well the first is in the wrong time frame and the second is a metaphor
so neither of those are involved
as for the idea that it was constructed with wooden planks cement vaults flood trap etc is also a total nonstarter as apart from a few fragements dragged up this is impossible to prove
its just as likely that it was a convenient hole for things to fall into over the years and these artifacts were misreported deliberatly by the dig teams to their financial backers over the years in an attempt to continue their funding

1. its a hole
2. nothing of value has been found in it
these are the only two facts that need concern you really
anything else is just wild speculation and in some cases downright fraud

its called the money pit
even that description is 50% right

I strongly advise you to read this website before your imagination flies away with your credibility

www.criticalenquiry.org...

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I certainly am not an expert on this but I have come across it a time or two. I, like you Super, am somewhat amazed at how much effort they afforded in putting those logs there for there not to be anything there. By the way, just because nothing has been found to date does not mean that there will not be.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've been looking around this board for a while, but this is my first post. I stumbled upon this thread on accident, but my dad and uncle have told me about this island on occasion. According to them Francis Bacon is the one who buried these treasures. Supposedly, there was something down there that was hidden knowledge, and only those who were smart enough to get to it without damaging it were supposed to wield it. No clue if any of this is true...my uncle writes a lot about Bacon and his connection to Shakespeare, so I might e-mail him and ask him for more of an explanation to post on here.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Sir Francis Bacon lived from 1561-1626
so if what you are saying is true he buried stuff there and then nobody knew about it for over 200 years
also you'd have to account for Sir Francis travelling from England to the Americas to an area which at that time was only populated by Indians
this journey would have taken at least 5 years
he would have had had to travel in disguise because he was so well known and also that would involve Sir Francis having to hire a lookalike back home because there is no record of him ever leaving Europe
in addition throughout his life he had to borrow large sums of money because he wasn't very wealthy and when he died was £15000 in debt
its getting tenuous isn't it

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I read a great book recently about the Money pit. I wish I knew who wrote it but I had it from the library. It was a good read with accounts from thee actual diary of the original treasure seekers, maps, and detailed accounts of what was found, exactly how deep etc.

There were engraved stones found on the island that made a cross (no religious significance), and they even found that the beach which the sea water entered was man-made! A whole beach!! There was so much coconut chaff (cant remember the proper word for it) left on the beach, and in the pit itself, this was used to keep the sand from being washed away. Another amazing engineering feat.

Some of the people who searched the pit, found traces of gold and were not heard from again, also there was more than one pit dug. In all I think it was around three or four.

There were lots of theories explained including Bacons. The pit was discovered in 1795, was supposed to be around 200 yrs old and Francis Bacon died in 1626, so its not so un-plausible. Apparently he may have had someone to bury the truth about him writing Shakespeares plays. But thats just one theory.

Murduk. I would suggest you read a little more about this before you dismiss it so lightly. A lot of intelligent people have put money into this project, not after just reading one web page. People alot more intelligent than you or me. Dont be so quick to write it off without reading ALL the facts.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Doesn't take much effort to "just say no" to conspiracies, does it?

I've always found the story to be very interesting. It's amazing that even with modern technology all efforts to get to the bottom of the pit fail.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the feedback, Mcphisto. I wasn't all that interested in the subject before, just relaying what I knew about it, but if they made an artificial beach even, then that's definitely interesting. If you ever come across that book, let me know what it was. I'm sure my uncle would love to read it, and I'd be interested as well. And marduk, as I said, I wasn't claiming any truth to the contents of my post, just trying to contribute. Not an expert as you seem to be on the subject
although I've seen some good debunkings from you in the past, so maybe this is a good one as well.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

But...BUT, why (or how) would anyone bury layers of logs every 10 feet for hundred(s) of feet, layers of cement, layers of putty and brush? The elaborate flood trap for looters.

Maybe Newfies with too much time on their hands did it. j/k

For some reason things like this interest me to no end. Even if they finally do get to the bottom of the pit and find nothing, the tale of it IMO would be far more valuable and interesting than any treasure.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Oooodles and oooodles of theads on this already.

Here are just a few via the great ATS Search function.

Oak Island

Any news on the Treasure

Oak Island Mystery

Mystery of Nova Scotia

Oak Island Treasure - Known only to one

Pretty much the same information over and over, but a few of the threads have some different theories and such.

Having been to Oak Island in the late 80's early 90's, the tour was much to be desired. Not sure if things have gotten any better since then.

I did hear ( maybe even in one of the above threads ) that they were going to resume the search at some point in the future.

Of the artifacts and other items they have recovered, they all seem genuine and quite believable.
Some may insiuate the possibility of the items being planted or staged, which could very well be possible, but I would like to believe they are the real deal.

Some of the items found are not items you would find lying around, and would require considerable forethought in planning there excavation.

IMO, it doesn't seem likely they were planted.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Murduk. I would suggest you read a little more about this before you dismiss it so lightly. A lot of intelligent people have put money into this project, not after just reading one web page. People alot more intelligent than you or me. Dont be so quick to write it off without reading ALL the facts.

I have read all the facts
the story about this has changed and evolved over time so that what is told about it thesedays is out of all proportion to what was originally said
its become legendary

but really the only fact that is credible is that nothing of any value has been found there despite all the modern technology used to get to the bottom of it
that really is telling imo

btw theres an "A" in Murduk

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Marduk, I think you might be spending your valuable time in the wrong forums. These forums are for topics that are on the fringe of the mainstream beliefs, if not completely over the edge of it.

So you might as well let us all know that aliens aren't real and we are all alone in the universe, cryptozoology is a waste of time because there are no more species to be discovered, NASA tells the truth and has never spotted anything unusual in space, and Sasquatch is an elaborate hoax started by the American Indians hundreds of years ago as a joke on the white man.

Moving on...

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

These forums are for topics that are on the fringe of the mainstream beliefs, if not completely over the edge of it.

I think if you check you'll find that this forum is for discussing Ancient & Lost Civilizations thats probably why its called the "Ancient & Lost Civilizations" forum
its not for discussing psuedohistory or aliens or anything else
its for discussing the aspects of real history
if you can't handle the truth then why bother looking for it

i have posted a very credible link to the oak island mystery but clearly you didn't bother to read it
how do you view that as an equal handed look at the facts
or do you think that if there are some details that you don't like then you can simply ignore then

Doing it like that is psuedoscience you know
and its not credible
nor is it clever

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Many times if you try real hard to believe something is true and tangable, it becomes true in ones mind. Despite the overwhelming physical facts or in some cases lack of it.

I completely see Marduk's argument. I can also see where the others here can believe their side of the argument. So at this point I see this whole debate completely unwinable by any side unless BOTH sides of the debate agree to take the undisputed facts on the subject and build from there without speculation.

*DIIINNG*

...round 2 begins.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I've always thought that the story was fake, due to the fact that the treasure was supposed ot be burried 120+ feet down... Who would put a treasure at that depth? AFAICR, it was pirates (Not the disney kind) that burried the treasure...?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join