It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think time will be reset in the future, if so why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
What i mean by time being reset would be like B.C., as in in the future right now would be BC to them

I hope that makes sense

What event do you think will cause time to be "reset" if you will?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Do you mean like just the time scale?

ie. 2006 AD (present time) will someday be referred to as 3600BST (Before space travel)

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Do you think time will be reset in the future, if so why?

No, I don't.

As long as us humans remain here, I see no compelling reason to change the date system we now have in place.

Even if the existence of Jesus Christ were to be proven an all out hoax, I still see no compelling reason to change. Though we may change "B.C." to something else, if that were the case.

2 cents

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Even if the existence of Jesus Christ were to be proven an all out hoax, I still see no compelling reason to change. Though we may change "B.C." to something else, if that were the case.

I believe the politically correct term for BC now is BCE (before common era).

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well the way in which its said has changed. Before the year 2000, is now refered to as C.E (Common Era)...B.C = B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), and after 2000 is refered to A.C.E (After the Common Era).
Bit strange really,could tie in with 2012, ascention and all that jazz...do the powers that be know something we dont? Whats was so damn "common" about the time we were born in, thats what id like to know. (I say we 'cos I very much doubt that any 6-7yr olds are reading this site, if they are.....then good on 'em)

[edit on 21-12-2006 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Christ almighty..dude above me, i was typing that info the same time as you.....GET OFF MY WAVELENGTH

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism
Well the way in which its said has changed. Before the year 2000, is now refered to as B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), and after 2000 is refered to A.C.E (After the Common Era).

I never knew that.

Hmmm...

What brought that on? Sheesh, political correctness.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism
Christ almighty..dude above me, i was typing that info the same time as you.....GET OFF MY WAVELENGTH

I must say you did a better job of explaining it than I did.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
There is a movement of scientist who say that we should carve all important knowledge into huge stone blocks and keep them somewhere safe.

The reason we should do this is to prevent humanity from loosing valuable information in a post apocalyptic world.

Personally, I think the future maybe more au natural then many would think, since I believe we will get the hang of managing our environment, or rather coping with changes in the environment.

I second Steven Hawking, who surprisingly overstated the obvious when he said, and I’m paraphrasing, eventually we will have to leave this wet rock we all call home behind and move to other stars.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
To answer Racerzeke's original question, I'd have to say I don't think so. Everyone is using the same frame of reference in the secular world, so I don't see a reason to "reset" the time scale. And in our computer prcessesor driven world, imagine the worries of Y2K magnified many times if we were to "reset".

NeonHaze is right on in mentioning Dr. Hawkings recent comments. I hope the technologically advanced space faring governments are working in earnest even now at developing methods to establish human colonies outside the solar system.

IMO, the chances of catastrophic damage to the earth due to solar activity, extrasolar activity (nearby gamma ray burst), planetary impact, or siesmic/volcanic activity should be the real concerns of anyone worrying about apocalyptic events. And these phenomena are mostly unpredictable and our rersponse cannot be reactionary. We must spread our seeds before the fire.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
if they were to restart the scale then it would havee to be exceted by everyone that god isn't real and then what would they base it on? Anotther famous or unreliable person? Or maybe something older witch would increase the date and make it harder. Overall they may change it but unlikly even if everyone excepts god is fake. They may get rid o B.C and A.C though.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost00
if they were to restart the scale then it would havee to be exceted by everyone that god isn't real and then what would they base it on?

No, they wouldn't. Right now, as stated above, it isn't referred to in any religious sense--BCE/CE are indirectly in reference to the birth of Christ because that's what the western world has based their calendars on. If Christ were proved to be false/a hoax/whatever, it'd be much easier to just say "okay, well it's still the common era, so we're kosher," than to go around and change all the calendars, records, and software to based everything on whatever the new year 0 (or 1) would be.

I think that if we were to start moving to other planets--probably even the moon, but maybe not as much--we'd need to work out some kind of different time measurement system. Without doing the math, I'd wager a calendar on Mars would read closer 1000 CE instead of 2006 (Martian year ~ 2x Earth year).

That's to say nothing of how interesting interstellar travel could make things, or even just perhaps colonizing a different moon or planet in the solar system. How do you measure out the "daily" unit on the calendar? Hourly? Monthly? It'd be fun...

top topics

join