It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it ain't fried it ain't food!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is my favorite way to cook and I thought I would share a few of my recipes. If any of you have any batter recipes to share then by all means share them! BBQ Recipes are acceptable as well.

I found this recipe here and have used it twice to excellent results.

English-Style Fish and Chips [Beer Batter]

The carbonation in beer helps create a light, crisp crust. Peanut oil will help prevent the oil from smoking. Choose dense white fish [cod, haddock...], that will not fall apart when fried. Cut fish into uniform pieces so it that it cooks evenly; be sure to pat dry fish with paper toweling to absorb extra moisture before dipping it into batter.

Ingredients
* 5 cups [1.25 L] vegetable oil
* 1 cup [250 mL] peanut oil
* 1 cup [140 g] flour
* 1/4 cup [60 mL] rice flour or cornstarch
* 1 egg
* 1 1/4 cups [310 mL] amber ale
* 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
* 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] white pepper
* 2 pounds [1 kg] firm boneless fish fillets, patted dry

Preparation
* Heat vegetable oil and peanut oil into a Dutch or large, sturdy saucepan at least twice as large as the measure of oil [12-cup / 3-L].
* Into a large shallow bowl, whisk together flour and rice flour or cornstarch.
* Into a clean bowl, beat together egg, amber ale, salt and white pepper, until smooth.
* Slowly whisk egg mixture into flour mixture, until smooth.
* Dip fish fillets, one at a time, into batter.
* Deep-fry into batches into hot [375°F / 190°C] oil for 4 to 7 minutes, depending on size and thickness of fish.
* Do not crowd fish into hot oil, or it will be soggy.
* Using a long-handle slotted spoon or tongs, turn fish over as often as needed for an even frying.
* Remove when golden brown.
* Leave to drain onto paper toweling before serving.

I personally recommend Halibut rather then Cod or Haddock. Anyone got any other batter recipes I can try? I'm always willing to experiment.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Perfect S2000........

and to bring out the proper flavor of the food; cooking over an open gasoline flame is really the only way to properly cook animal flesh.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Perfect S2000........

and to bring out the proper flavor of the food; cooking over an open gasoline flame is really the only way to properly cook animal flesh.

Fortunately I'm not allowed to fry indoors so I am relegated to using the side burning of a BBQ.

I want to try this one day...

Deep fried turkey. Yum.

[edit on 18-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Careful with those damn things S2. They are responsible for setting more trailers on fire in the southern US than smoking in bed.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good thing I live in a brick house then

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
We don't really fry anything at my house. Sometimes we will have fried potatoes for breakfast on a weekend. I either bake or grill. I won't give any lectures on fried foods, I just can't imagine taking in all that grease
Even french fries, I hardly ever eat them!

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If all you can taste is the grease then the person doing the frying is an idiot. Frying done properly can be both Healthy AND tasty. Take the Fish and Chips recipe I posted above. Done improperly and it will be a sogging mass of fish and potatoes that vaguely resembles French fries.

Done properly and the exquisitely delicate taste of the Halibut is sealed in the instant the batter touches the vegetable Oil if it's at the right temperature.

If the Oil is above 375 degrees F then it will cook too quickly and the seal will break under the heat allowing the oil to permeate the meat inside the batter. If the Oil is below the threshold the oil quickly starts to seep into the meat and starts to quickly overpower the taste of the fish.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have to admit, I do like fish and chips every once in a while

For me, I didn't grow up on fried foods, and my mother was a dietitian

Fried foods, that was something people did in the south, but not in the Nothwest. Funny thing though, my mother was born and raised in Hobbs NM
I think sometimes people tend to prepare/cook food in the manner they were raised on...at least I do. I don't even own a deep fryer, dang... now I feel really left out. I wouldn't remember to use it if I had one though.

I'm not against fried foods, I just can't imagine everything fried.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You don't need no stinking deep fryer. Just a throwaway pot deep enough to completely immerse one or two fillets. Pan frying is also a reasonable substitute. Remember I'm not cooking with Lard. That stuff is dangerous to work with and extremely nasty stuff to work with. I know as I have worked with people who were frying donuts at Tim Hortons.

The primary thing to remember is TEMPERATURE!

This is what I use.

www.kk.org...

Non contact thermometer I bought originally for my PC works wonders with estimating the temperature of the oil. Still doesn't beat a regular Oil temperature gauge though those are pricey if you want a good one.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sardion2000,

My, you have taken preparing animal, fowl and fish flesh to a high art via the oil and pan.

Betty Crocker would be proud!

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Frying is great, but I also love slow braising, quick grilling, or a nice roast as well.

It all depends on what type of meat you're using.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I agree. I don't think deep fried brisket would work, but it is delicious slow roasted or BBQ'ed over wood or coals.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000I want to try this one day...

Deep fried turkey. Yum.

Sardion,

... Mmmm ... the result is entirely different than "roasting". :slurp:

Although ...

NO. 1 PRECAUTION: Please ensure the turkey is FULLY thawed.

Ice/frozen bird and 350+ degree oil Do Not Mix Well.

no personal experience here,
but "flash" fires and severe burns are not uncommon with unknowing or ill-informed "turkey fryers".

Just sayin' ...

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Also don't fry your turkey in the garage, my cousin found out the hard way.

Her landlord wasn't happy with her either.

You know, fried chunks of alligator is really good. And...

mmmmmmmmm....

Frog legs!!!!

So good, you'll wanna slap your mama!

new topics

top topics

join