It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migratory birds still around after unusually warm fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

While migratory birds generally head South before November, due to the unusually warm and long fall, they haven't left Hungary yet, report RTLklub.hu.

The birds, however, are not in danger even if temperatures drop suddenly. Storks are capable of flying hundreds of kilometers in a short time. The "lazier" of the birds might even stay throughout the winter if temperatures remain mild.

"If the winter isn't harsh, and some corn remains in the fields, it is possible that a few hundred birds might stay," said László Kotymán environmentalist.

In early December, some 11,000 storks were counted in the Körös-Maros National Park, a very unusual statistic for this time of the year. Should cold weather set in, the birds are capable of reaching the warmer Mediterranean area in just a few hours.

Usually, the storks usually arrive at their summer homes in Europe in late march and early April. There are two varieties indigenous to Hungary, the White Stork (Fehér Gólya) and the Black Stork (Fekete Gólya).
Source

While I am a young student I've never heard of this before. Normally birds migratory birds leave Northern Europe in November, but as for yet, they haven't left. This does not only apply for Hungary, but also for countries such as Germany, the Netherlands, and probably also the UK. Has anyone older than me seen this before? And is there a similar situation in the US?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm glad you posted this. I've noticed that it is unseasonably warm up here in the Appalachian Mountains of the U.S. It's normally below 20 degrees F at night, and usually around 5 to 10 F at night. But we've been having 70 degree weather for a month, very sunny, like spring. It's kind of scary in light of GW. Our birds, however, have migrated, I haven't seen a one that didn't.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I've noticed a similiar situation here, normally all the Geese
would have migrated over a month ago, but I've noticed
geese still flying about now, in fact I just heard one while
it flew by a few minutes ago.

This does'nt seem to be a new-to-this-year thing either, if I'm
not mistaken it's been occuring in different places for the last
two years.

I live in the Pacific North-West of America, if anyones doing
info gatherings as to where this is happening.

new topics

join