It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

washing/changing clothes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The scene is you and or your family have escaped what ever sit X made you bug out. You managed to bring your BOB with you so you do have supplies to live on. What you dont have is a change of clothing. So I have a two part question.

1st: how many changes of clothing should you if any keep in The BOB

2nd: How long should you ware each set, and how often should you wash them.

I always remember to keep extra socks in my BOB but I never give a second thought to clothes and how to upkeep them without a washer and dryer!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You could dump them in a stream or river if one is around and dry it on a fire rack. I don't think I'd be worried about my clothes being dirty so much as find a way out or getting water/food.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
The scene is you and or your family have escaped what ever sit X made you bug out. You managed to bring your BOB with you so you do have supplies to live on. What you dont have is a change of clothing. So I have a two part question.

1st: how many changes of clothing should you if any keep in The BOB

2nd: How long should you ware each set, and how often should you wash them.

I always remember to keep extra socks in my BOB but I never give a second thought to clothes and how to upkeep them without a washer and dryer!

Well if you expect to be out for a long period of time you might want to figure out how to make your own soap, which can be made using lyme. You can gather that from animal fat. So when you hunt for food waste not my friend. You can also save the bones for needles if you need to repair clothing as well.

I think everyone here knows that you should change your socks anytime they get wet to avoid jungle rot. The same goes with any other piece of clothing if you can do it. It might be a good idea to vacum seal your cloths to save space.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
isnt lye a processed chemical where melted fat is filtered through charcoal? Least thats what I thought it was.

Eventualy if the worst should happen you would have to tan your own hides and use the spinal column and arm muscles to make sinue(SP) I heard that if you crack open the skull of an animal each animal has enough brain material to tan it's own hide.

You first have to scrape the excess fat layer off of the inside of the hide then let it dry for a few days. Then once it is dry and has turned into rawhide you soak it in a river for a while untill it is plyable again at that point you stretch it out real tight and rub the brain matter into the hide. This makes it so the hide is soft again and at that point it's ready to be fasioned into clothing.

In my hurricane kit I have 3 days worth of clothes I guess you would call it a BOB but round the florida parts its called a hurricane kit.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
isnt lye a processed chemical where melted fat is filtered through charcoal? Least thats what I thought it was.

Eventualy if the worst should happen you would have to tan your own hides and use the spinal column and arm muscles to make sinue(SP) I heard that if you crack open the skull of an animal each animal has enough brain material to tan it's own hide.

Your right it's Lye not lyme i feel dumb now
anyhow i think there are a couple ways to make it but here is a how to website for lye that anyone should be able to make. Making Lye for soap

Your right about braining the hide each animal has just the right about of brains. Its a tough process to learn from what i read.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hi AA, underwear is most important its the area's of your bod that sweats the most and were infections start.
Outer clothing should be light and easy to dry, think layers rather than thick clothing. Frequency of washing really depends on the enviroment your in but again washing underclothes is far more important than outer garments You dont really need detergents, they just remove odours but boiling will kill the bugs in your clothing.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Forgot to add this, disease kills far more and more effectively than anything else, keeping disease free is the most important factor so any materials than can achieve this make sure you have plenty of them. As I said before heat treatment kills most bugs but boiling ones body does not aid survival.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've renovated condemned buildings for 5 years now and moved in to each one when it was at its worst. Here are some tips I have for living off grid downtown.

Don't be ashamed to put up a clothes line.
Wash your clothes in a bathtub like you would squash grapes with your feet for wine. 15 minutes wash and 5 min rinse per batch.
2x12's and cinder blocks make great shelves
A pipe and some rope make great hanging location
Rubbermaid totes can keep clothes dry outside in heavy rain, sterlite cannot; the tubs last longer shaded with a tarp.
I keep 40 days worth of cheap cotton t shirts, thrift store jeans, thrift store sweaters, and store bought boxers, and socks. There is little else in my wardrobe.
We do laundry once a month and the whole process takes less than 4 hours.
Renovating condemned buildings sometimes I bathe and redress 3 times a day. Fresh clothes are a better head change than anything you can put in your pipe and smoke.

I am,

Sri Oracle

mi5

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I've known students who would rather pull their teeth out with rusty pliers than change their clothes. If they can do it just to be cool, surly anyone can do it to survive. However trimming the nasal hair is a must as eventually you would have enough to make a mattress

new topics

top topics

join