Something I'd Like To Say About The Subject

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
A persons post on this forum recently made me think about this...

I'm all for people learning about survival and having survival items, but I don't think you should be looking forward to be stranded someplace.

The best way to survive is to not get lost anywhere. I know you can't do that all the time and then you'd have your items and knowledge to help you.

I would never want to be in a situation where I needed my survival items and knowledge, but I want to have them just in case.

It's like when someone tells me about there survival kit that they made. I say "Great! I hope you never have to use it"

So make a survival kit, get the know-how, and go out for fun. Don't hope to be really stranded because it's not fun. But if you ever are really stranded and in a survival situation you will know what to do.

I hope that made sense.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hear hear I coudnt agree more. This isnt a game to some of us and its not fun

You have voted enjoies05 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

CX

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I kind of agree with your point there, a truely horrendous survival situation is something no-one should want to find themselves in.

When we go out and practice these techniques, this are usualy because we enjoy them too. I reckon you'd find that the kind of people who hate the outdoors with a passion are probably the ones who won't have a clue how to look after themselves out there when the time comes. Very few people will go out and learn survival techniques if they hate them.

However many people have a need to test thier survival skills in an environment more demanding than thier backyard. I would'nt class someone as strange for wanting to test thier skills out in a real survival scenario, to some that may be the ultimate test of years of training. A crap way of testing it i agree, but it would be the biggest challenge of your life. Some people get off on pushing themselves and thier skills this way.

There are many extreme ways of testing your knowledge without wanting something like an end of the world situation though.

Go stick yourself in the middle of nowhere for a few weeks and see how you get on. You can pretty much make your imaginary situation X as bad as you want even if you are doing it for fun. Once you mastered the basics, start adding difficulty to your outings each time you go out. Longer times away from home, less modern gear to help you, challenges to complete during the task, limit yourself to moving only at night, no contact with the public....those sorts of thing.

Ok some of those suggestions cross survival with escape and evasion tactics which whilst similar, are miles apart. I think there needs to be a very clear line when talking about situation x, if i'm stranded in the middle of nowhere because i'm lost or injured, i WANT to be found! If things have gone pearshaped in the future and maybe i did'nt want to be found, thats the time to employ other tactics.

So yeah, lets not hope for a tragedy, but by all means make your training as realistic as you want so when something bad does happen, it will be less of an upheaval for you.

CX.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't think the primary concern is so much being "stranded", as in, stuck in the middle of nowhere, but rather being stuck in the middle of somewhere on a really bad day.

You don't need a shotgun and water filtration and a cache of non-perishable food etc etc in the trunk of your car in case you break down on the way to Vegas or get snowed in at a camping trip, etc... I'm not saying it wouldn't help but generally speaking a little caution and a cell phone go a long way towards not getting stranded.

The necessity of some survival precautions is more in response to the fact that the federal government can't get part of one major city's population through a hurricane, so you sure as hell don't want to be in their care during a problem of larger scale: you're better off to be prepared for a sustained camping trip.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
survival kits ect are like seat belt or crash helmets most people (thank god/or who ever you want to ) will never need or use them but i don't plan to remove my cars seat belts because i've never need them. the thing to remember survival is a test and it pass or fail. ypu don't have to have a good time you can be misrable as #*#& and if your alive at the end you pass.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Testing your survival skills in the wilderness is usually called camping. Maybe you're into minimalist camping but it's camping nonetheless. When you're done you know you can go back to your life and comforts. In a real situation all of that is gone. You'll have no information about what is going on and no safety net to come home to. As another poster pointed out, survival is more about being stuck somewhere on a very bad day. Everyone planning on high-tailing it to the wilderness when the SHTF is making the assumption that that will be possible. Depending where you happen to live it may be true for some... maybe... but not the majority. In a truly survival Sit-X, movement is going to be extremely limited if not impossible. You will instead be forced to survive in far less than ideal surroundings and within reach of large numbers of panicked and desperate people.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Alot of good being said on this thread, its all too easy to get caught up in some fantasy. I will be honest, that what got me into this subject. Then i thought about being stuck in the middle of nowhere, the rain coming down wind blowing etc, its not nice.

Its good to have pieces of kit ready, but use them for camping or hiking etc. I couldn't justify having things for a situation i hoped never happened. If you really want to test yourself try going camping and make a fire with sticks or whatever your plan may be, if its a failure then its no big deal.

The comment by The Vagabond about being stuck in the middle of somewhere is what most people should think about, If your at work in a big city when whatever it is happens then how do you plan on getting home to you kit. how do you plan on getting out of the city even if your kit is in your car. If your lucky enough to make it where you plan to go, the last thing you want is to find that all your kit is useless or you cant use half of it due to lack of prior use!

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Do some of you remember this tragic event about a month ago? I am sure that surviving family wished they had better survival gear. It is obvious by the story they did not plan for such an eventuality. As I recall the story ..after waiting around to be helped or found the Husband decided to trek off in search of help. Someone found the wife and kids close to the car but the Husband had perished due to the weather. I dont believe they had cold weather gear or enough food for the situation. This was a horrible tragedy and a classic but textbook case of male expendability and disposability.
Some survival kit supplies would have made a huge difference. A BOB..a bug out bag.

Whenever we traveled across country, while my father was between military postings, It was his habit to bring food...toilet paper...clothes etc etc. I now know why. We traveled in summer as well as bitter winter weathers. Food and drink was always on hand as well as a suitable change of clothes. Along with this was always enough clothing to make it till our main household goods arrived. Pop also brought along in a state of dissassembly his Lambretta motor scooter so that when we got there he could assemble it and leave the VW Micro Bus to my mother.
I later on came to realize this was survival. What was neccessary to get where we..and he needed to be for the military and not perish in the process. We sometimes moved from coast to coast and even overseas.
I even remember bringing an olde pump up cooking stove which would run on gasoline. To my knowlege Pop still has this camp stove in the garage at his house. Between posts we would often continue to use this olde camp stove...on weekend excursions..picnics.
I still have his olde Lambretta motor scooter in my garage.

This was all survival for us and particularly my father. I now realize how much planning went into a trip to get us all successfully safely across this globe. This knowlege makes me respect my father much more to this very day. It had to be a huge task back in those days to get us safely across this globe.

Obviously the facts and history of the matter are that people do get lost. Accidents do happen in spite of the best planning. The rescuing calvary is seldome on time.

No one wants their worst case scenerio....but it doesnt make good nonsense to be prepared only with the television schedule and supplies for tonights lakers game. But this is in fact the program for a great number of people across this country as evidenced by what happened after the recent hurricanes and snow storms around here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join